Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Adwords Express vs Google Adwords vs Facebook Ads

Options
  • 26-09-2016 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I'm trying to promote a website (starting with london area) and wondering if anyone has suggestions on the best way to approach it? I've looked at google adwords express as I can't get my head around the campaigns section but is that a good idea? Should I be looking at another approach such as facebook ads or alt? Any guidance in this area would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Ads are only as good as the target market you are after and if you can leverage the tools to measure your demographic. Too many business blanket their campaign on a single word e.g. 'Books' Thats great, but what if you are selling books to Sailors, who are less than 25, living in Wales? You'll spend a fortune and get no where.

First thing, understand who you are selling to :)

From personal experience, I'd recommend facebook Ads. Google Ads are largely ignored or blocked by the tech savvy. facebook Ads are a laser beam in terms of targeting and you can really carve out your niche and market quite specifically. Bang for buck, we saw the greatest return on fb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I think the most important Q is whether or not what you're trying to sell / raise awareness of generates much search traffic.

For example, say you specifically only wanted a personal trainer in a certain locality - you'd probably search for them on google.

But if you were thinking of joining a gym or getting in shape but hadn't really committed to it, and you saw something that caught your eye on facebook, you'd be more likely to follow thru there.

If you believe the stat that only 3% of the market are ready to buy at any given time, and 40% are entering the buying process, it makes sense to raise brand awareness thru marketing on facebook, in my opinion, since that's where most of the eyeballs are now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭odeamarcas

To throw my tuppence on top of what the folk here already said...

I'd recommend you work backwards when considering your online advertising efforts, instead of thinking about what platform is best, think instead about where your customers are likely to look for the product or service you are selling, focus on what you believe their buying patterns or search for information would be, what is their buying process and what are their main considerations, what steps do they take to find out about or to buy what you are offering.

When you have all this figured out, then you will be in a better position to determine what advertising or promotion platform might best suit your audience and their behaviours. Then you can test it, and based on the feedback or results you can make a judgement call.

Take your time, you will not master online advertising in a month, and you will have to study, learn, relearn and be patient.

As they say, if it was easy sure we'd all be doing it well!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

People definitely do click on AdWords ads! The tech savvy and the not so tech savvy. The key part missing from this thread is - what industry are you in? Who are you looking to target?

Until we know that recommending FB or AdWords is akin to replying to the question how long is a piece of string.

One thing I will say is that if people are actively searching for something and may be ready to buy, AdWords can work great. People aren't really in buying mode on FB, but it can be great for branding and awareness - which in turn ties in to the purchase phase when people recall your brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 TheSunRise

I would say if you looking for long term business
    Do SEO for your website it's traffic free but it might takes time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭happycoach

Maybe start building up an email list and do a website launch. Build up some hype. Not sure how well you'll do just relying on paid adverts. Need to be some organic growth also.

happycoach wrote: »
    Maybe start building up an email list and do a website launch. Build up some hype. Not sure how well you'll do just relying on paid adverts. Need to be some organic growth also.

People don't read email and it would be against data protection if you slingshot a ton of email to people who have explicitly said they want to receive marketing. Far more harm than good.

You'd be better off generating social buzz in the sector you are operating in, largely dependent of course in your exact product or service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Websites4u

google express is simply adwords only tried to make easier / faster for non techies. i think people click organic SEO V adwords 2:1. Proctor & Gamble changed from using specific fb ad targeting to generic targeting, as it didn't help sales. whoever you pay, expect to pay a lot €20 - €50 / day if you are starting off without any results.

I suggest SEO, blogging, press releases to the media, maybe run a comp. on facebook, do a poll / survey. In the long run, you want to get on top of google for seo not paid ads. If you are in the images game such as fashion use instagram, pinterest. build up your email list, 6% of your sales will come from ezines.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bt25

Thanks for the suggestions. I've come to the conclusion that my landing page isn't good enough to make use of any traffic I get. I'm way off each click paying for itself so need to do some work on that. Useful to get user data though to help point me in that direction :)

Any suggestions of other ways to get similar feedback without the high price tag?

get a good landing page, either with a "buy now" button if buying, or a "sign up" or "contact us" button on the right column of the page. Do not pay for any marketing, or even start to market 'til this is done. Having these on your website will keep users on your site, decrease your bounce rate and help you get on top of Google. What other feedback were you you thinking of? Google it i suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Again you will get better / more informed input if you specify what industry you are in and who you are trying to reach? Definitely make sure you have an email sign up form on your site in a prominent place - email is one of the best and most under-rated ways of growing your business. Landing page also has to be high quality and serve the user's need.

There are defo many free and easy ways to get there! enjoy!

hope this is not off topic, i have an issue with FB ads now that their traffic measurements are up to 50% off due to coding issues. I dont know, ive tried fb, and its brand awareness which is great. however, with Google ads or seo, you know they are buying or interested in buying. Any update would help, im past the stage of paying out a lot of money and getting minimal return! Thanks

Websites4u wrote: »
    hope this is not off topic, i have an issue with FB ads now that their traffic measurements are up to 50% off due to coding issues. I dont know, ive tried fb, and its brand awareness which is great. however, with Google ads or seo, you know they are buying or interested in buying. Any update would help, im past the stage of paying out a lot of money and getting minimal return! Thanks

Do you use Facebook Pixel? If not, you really should get that integrated especially for events such as 'Add to Cart' and Checkout. You can then build Audiences that are likely to conduct these events. Whilst not fool proof, you are really hone your target audience.

I'll try it again, yes we tried FB pixel, but we got a sale from a direct visitor, nothing to do with facebook , yet it showed up in facebook so they took all the credit for it, which i don't agree with. Thanks @ironclaw.

Advertisement