Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrickmount Drive Rathfarnham

Options
  • 26-09-2016 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking for some advice/views on an area.

On the search for a family home (to fit myself, my wife and our 19 month old...and any new additions in the future :-) ) in the southside of Dublin. Because of our jobs the southside is very convenient, but the prices for most of the places are very high for our budget.

We've seen a few in the Holylands area around Carrickmount Drive and some of the houses round there seem really decently priced.

Is there anything that we should know about the area? I've heard it had a bad reputation for a while but people have said it has changed quite a lot over the years.

We are quite new to Dublin but have been living up near Grange Road in Rathfarnham to test the general area out and it seems great (apart from lacking a good pub!).

Any views would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

We recently bought in the area, - little under 2 years ago. What do you want to know? Ex council houses- private these days bar the odd property (so i hear).
    A lot of people have bought in the area in recent years, young professionals etc. We also heard it had a reputation(mainly gained in the early 80's by a few suspect people(drugs) living there - who are long gone) i think i have seen the police in the area about 2 times since we moved in and that was just a random patrol (from what i saw).We went to Dundrum Gardai station before we bought and they said it was fine. It's quite as chips.
    Personally would prefer mountain view park (we live here) than Carrickmount or all the other ex council roads etc. Meadow park (the first or road at the top of theestate) is a nice road (not an ex council) houses are a little small but some have big back gardens depending on what side of the road your on. Not as good value as mounntain view or carrickmount but still over the next decade you can still expect a handsome return should you wish to sell. We chose mountain view park over it too though. Local amenities are plentiful, Dundrum shopping cente about 10 min walk away, nutgrove sc 5 mins, Marley park up the road, good schools (many). Gyms, nice bars around, supervalue in Churchtown is around the corner, also a few shops there too......easy access to m50. Nutgrove in general is a bargain, maybe look at similar houses there, as i said over. The next decade the prices will only be going up by a wide margin.

Oh check out the Glenside pub in Churchtown, nice bar and does food in the back - since your looking for a good pub ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Personally I'd prefer the Holylands side to the Carrickmount side.
    Seems like more houses over the Holylands side are now private compared to the far side of Nutgrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Raised in the vicinity so pretty familiar with it. Friends live on Meadow park.

Nutgrove Crescent has been the source of some antisocial behavior over the years but is a lot quieter now, the area as a whole is a lot calmer than it used to be. Its a council/ex council area and is a lot more working class than the Grange Road would be but not a bad area by any stretch. Nutgrove SC after the refit is a really nice amenity, being so close to both the German supermarkets would be a huge plus in my eyes.

A decade ago I'd have avoided Loreto park at night, now it wouldnt bother me.

Glenside is a nice spot, slightly hidden but probably to its benefit. Dropping well is a tad further but great for food if you're looking for that of a Sunday and you can always stroll down to Winters in Dundrum too.

Anecdotal but be careful on Barton Rd East, another friend living the far side of that had his jaw smashed in a random assault on the way back from Dundrum, its bounded by nice areas but you do get the odd complete waste of oxygen toe rags about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 acdcbc

Thanks all. Really appreciate the comments.

Went to speak to some of the potential neighbours a few days ago and they all say the same thing really. Seems like quite a settled area now. In our price range this seems like a good bet and one that really suits our situation. Much better than some of the areas we had been to see for that budget!

Advertisement