Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T-boned by teenage on bicycle

Options
  • 26-09-2016 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

While cycling home today I was hit from the side by a teenager who turned onto the road i was travelling down. we are both fine with minor bruising. however the kid is demanding compensation (he is from the area, we know each other to see) to fix his bike (broken spokes).

needless to say i don't want to give him anything for an accident I didn't cause BUT his mates were behind him so I will be outnumbered if this goes to small claims court.

suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

comng home today I was hit from the side by a teenager who turnee onto the road i was travelling down. we are both fine with minor bruising. however the kid is demanding compensation (he is from the area, we know each other to see) to fix his bike (broken spokes).

needless to say i dont want to give him anything for an accident I didnt cause BUT his mates were behind him so I will be outnumbered if this goes to small claims court.

suggestions?

Are you well enough to extend your two middle fingers?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Who had the right of way? I'd imagine you did if he collided with your side or were there traffic lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What happened, he cycled into you on a road you had right of way on? If so ignore it and drop into the gardai to cover yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get ahead of him, give a statement to the gardai, no little toe rag will go to the effort of challenging it in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It won't go to court. It's less than 40 euro. Tell him to take a hike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Send him your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Who had the right of way? I'd imagine you did if he collided with your side or were there traffic lights?

roads were of equal importance (he took left at a tee juction, i was on a straight run).

just back from the guards, they listenend to what i told them and said they would contact me if there was a complaint made. i was told they dont get involved in road accidents where no one is hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

roads were of equal importance (he took left at a tee juction, i was on a straight run).

just back from the guards, they listenend to what i told them and said they would contact me if there was a complaint made. i was told they dont get involved in road accidents where no one is hurt

If you hear from him again remind him of the always give way to traffic on your right law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Did he try to overtake then do a left?

Good that you went to the Feds.

Greenman wrote: »
    Did he try to overtake then do a left?

Good that you went to the Feds.

thousand words etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds like it was him who would have passed the yield/stop sign without yielding or stopping?

sounds like it was him who would have passed the yield/stop sign without yielding or stopping?

It is a housing estate. no signs or signals. coming to a T-junction (in my experience) usually involves stopping and checking for traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I would wave a middle finger in his direction, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It is a housing estate. no signs or signals. coming to a T-junction (in my experience) usually involves stopping and checking for traffic

always yield to traffic from the right
    if you are at a junction where the roads are of equal importance, the traffic on your right has right of way. You must let that traffic pass before moving on. It is important to understand that the right of way is not an absolute right. You must proceed with caution while showing regard for other users of the road.
    http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/junctions.html
    it'll be in the actual legislation somewhere to the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

397779.png
    As per this great diagram by Romperstomper AKA as OP the "Villain" nothing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Just wondering...

Where are all the usual posts advising op to go immediately to the doctor to get a full check up ?

Minor bruising, as i understand it from countless previous posts on here, could be hiding a multitude of injuries that will only come to light in the coming days..

Or is that only suggested when a motorist is involved as there's potential for an insurance payout..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Swanner wrote: »
    Just wondering...

Where are all the usual posts advising op to go immediately to the doctor to get a full check up ?

Minor bruising, as i understand it from countless previous posts on here, could be hiding a multitude of injuries that will only come to light in the coming days..

Or is that only suggested when a motorist is involved as there's potential for an insurance payout..

Jeez, there's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's because a 60kg teenager travelling at 20km/h and a 1500kg car travelling at 40km/h are incomparable.

You know, physics. The kind of basic physics anyone in control of such a vehicle should know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

It would be an idea to make a dated statement naming the road and the T junction and adding a diagram or photo of the junction showing who was going where, and bring the statement to the local garda station and ask the guard there to date-stamp both pages.
    This doesn't mean the gardaí take any stance on it; it's just a way of dating what you say to the time when you said it.
    Put it away in a file where you keep stuff you need.
    If the baby cyclist comes back at you in three months' time (when you've long forgotten the circumstances) you have a dated description from the time of the crash, which will hold more water with any authority that may want witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah, that's it. Nothing to do with the chances of the driver of the car being injured (given the description) being low.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    It's because a 60kg teenager travelling at 20km/h and a 1500kg car travelling at 40km/h are incomparable.

Well the most recent example i was thinking of was a cyclist who hit a stationary car so i fail to see the relevance of your point..

He also just had some bruising yet almost every response, right from the get go, advised him to get checked out by a doc straight away..

I was just wondering why the response differs to such an extent depending on what is hit..
    You know, physics. The kind of basic physics anyone in control of such a vehicle should know.

As I said above.. In the example i had in mind, the car was stationary..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Are you well enough to extend your two middle fingers?

Or even one finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well the most recent example i was thinking of was a cyclist who hit a stationary car so i fail to see the relevance of your point.
    My mind-reading skills have failed me again. OF COURSE I should have known that you were referring to some vague recent example of something you read. How stupid of me.

If someone was out for a run and said they ran into a solid brick wall. And someone else said they bumped into another runner and fell over, you'd consider the former to be more serious than the latter.

It's that simple. Your Daily Mail-esque narrative about compo culture doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

you don't need signs to instruct you to not stop at a T junction

tell the dope to f*ck off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

He also just had some bruising yet almost every response, right from the get go, advised him to get checked out by a doc straight away..
    Perhaps the OP could clarify if they suffered any injury or bruising. I took it as the teenager cycling into the car that had the bruising. I don't see how the driver of the car would be injured, but they could clarify.

If someone cycled into the back of a car, I would recommend going to the doctor. Not for insurance purposes, just to be checked out. Same advice is often given if someone just comes off the bike with no one else involved!

My mind-reading skills have failed me again. OF COURSE I should have known that you were referring to some vague recent example of something you read. How stupid of me.

Well I was referring to a recent thread on this forum where a cyclist hit a stationary vehicle and was looking for advice on next steps...

Nothing vague about it and no mind reading skills required. You made a few assumptions which were incorrect but hey, it happens, no biggy..
    If someone was out for a run and said they ran into a solid brick wall. And someone else said they bumped into another runner and fell over, you'd consider the former to be more serious than the latter.

Not really. My advice would be the same for both though. If you're hurt and you think it's serious or needs treatment, go see a doctor. If not, rest and ice and you'll be fine. I've no idea what point you're trying to make though.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Well I was referring to a recent thread on this forum where a cyclist hit a stationary vehicle and was looking for advice on next steps...

Nothing vague about it and no mind reading skills required. You made a few assumptions which were incorrect but hey, it happens, no biggy..

Not really. My advice would be the same for both though. If you're hurt and you think it's serious or needs treatment, go see a doctor. If not, rest and ice and you'll be fine. I've no idea what point you're trying to make though.. :confused:

Oddly enough, I was thinking the exact same thing about your posts in this thread.

If you're annoyed about advice on a separate thread why not post about it there instead of posting about it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

It's that simple. Your Daily Mail-esque narrative about compo culture doesn't exist.

There's no need to attack other posts that conflict with your views. You come across as a child throwing your toys out of the pram with the last bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Can we agree that yes, it would be a good idea for the OP to go and get checked out after falling off his or her bike?

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    If you're annoyed about advice on a separate thread why not post about it there instead of posting about it here?

Because my question was in relation to the fact that different advice was given on 2 similar threads. Given that this was the more recent of the 2 threads I would have thought it would be the more appropriate..

Look it was a simple enough question that elicited a very defensive response so i'll take my answer from that and leave it there...

Advertisement