Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monday Night Klopp

• 26-09-2016 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭

There is also a game on I think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

06faa4b0-abac-0131-da90-66a0f4cc1ed1.gif?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Tearing apart Klopps playing career, brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Way too much time being spent with Klopp. If I was a Watford or Burnley fan, I'd be raging. It's supposed to be their night in the limelight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

blueser wrote: »
    Way too much time being spent with Klopp. If I was a Watford or Burnley fan, I'd be raging. It's supposed to be their night in the limelight.

Is MNF pre-match not always a dissection of the weekends football though? With only a little bit on the game you're about to see, and then loads of time spent on the analysis of it at the break and afterwards.

Would you though?

Monday night football is decent analysis. Pre match build up isnt too exciting tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Would you though?

Monday night football is decent analysis. Pre match build up isnt too exciting tbh.
    The first hour or so of MNF is usually spent analysing the previous weekend's matches along with interviews with the managers of the teams playing that night and possibly a filller clip or two ("human interest", of a sort) about someone connected to either club. Now don't get me wrong; Klopp comes across very well on the box. But the likes of Burnley and Watford don't get as much airtime as the "more glamourous" clubs. If their game has been picked as the live game, there should be more about them really. Am I wrong to think that? Not looking for an argument here. I'd be saying the same if Guardiola was there instead of Klopp. Same with Mourinho, Wenger, Conte, Pochettino etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

A load of Klopp trap.

....... great thread :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Monday night Flopp !!!

Monday night Flopp !!!

Great TV, the boards.ie thread may yet get off the ground but if it does I know who the 3/4 posters will be :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Good thing jurgen left. This game is the drizzling ****s

The first hour or so of MNF is usually spent analysing the previous weekend's matches along with interviews with the managers of the teams playing that night and possibly a filller clip or two ("human interest", of a sort) about someone connected to either club. Now don't get me wrong; Klopp comes across very well on the box. But the likes of Burnley and Watford don't get as much airtime as the "more glamourous" clubs. If their game has been picked as the live game, there should be more about them really. Am I wrong to think that? Not looking for an argument here. I'd be saying the same if Guardiola was there instead of Klopp. Same with Mourinho, Wenger, Conte, Pochettino etc etc.

You have a point for sure.

From a TV ratings point of view it was a no brainer tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Sky putting up their prices and then putting this on Monday night football!

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Sky putting up their prices and then putting this on Monday night football!

Man Utd fans be well jeal getting such insight :)

Jose won't be getting any invites anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Burnley strike by international superstar Jimi Hendrix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Who watches the bits apart from the match?

I'm watching Only Connect anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Didnt Gilesy (on OFF the Ball Newstalk ) disapprove of Martinez going on MNF last season?
    I wonder will he chastise Klopp too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Didnt Gilesy (on OFF the Ball Newstalk ) disapprove of Martinez going on MNF last season?

Yep he did disapprove. But martinez just wanted to spout his phenomenal waffle.

Can't see why any manager would go on. Not like they need the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Alonso77 wrote: »

Read today that Ronnie whelan said Klopp shouldn't be going on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Monday night football is decent analysis.

It used to be, until Carragher arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It used to be, until Carragher arrived.

The other lad tanking as a manager burned a lot if not all of the credibility of it too. The banter between them was always kinda overblown to be entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If Carlsberg did match threads this would be the last pint in the keg before it ran out. :D

Great second half performance by Burnley I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ERG89 wrote: »
    The other lad tanking as a manager burned a lot if not all of the credibility of it too. The banter between them was always kinda overblown to be entertaining.

Nothing to do with his credibility, the show used to give Neville room to breath and as a result you got interesting analysis pieces. In came Carragher and instead of one person with time to talk, you had two people fighting for time and as a result you got shallow soundbites and forced "banter". Even if Carragher was any use as a pundit it still wouldn't have worked, by adding a second pundit the producers completely missed what was making the show popular in the first place.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Yep he did disapprove. But martinez just wanted to spout his phenomenal waffle.

Can't see why any manager would go on. Not like they need the cash.

If you have the right manager, it's great exposure for the club. Effectively 45 minutes of free Liverpool advertising. Not that that should be a reason for doing it, but that's the reality of the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If you have the right manager, it's great exposure for the club. Effectively 45 minutes of free Liverpool advertising. Not that that should be a reason for doing it, but that's the reality of the business.

Exposure for the club? He manages Liverpool. One of the most famous clubs in the world. Do you think anybody would be watching it and then go, "You know what, I like this guy. I'm going to support Liverpool"

I think it's a bad idea for any top flight manager to do this. I read Ronnie Whelans piece in the Herald and I agree with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Danye wrote: »
    Exposure for the club? He manages Liverpool. One of the most famous clubs in the world. Do you think anybody would be watching it and then go, "You know what, I like this guy. I'm going to support Liverpool"

I think it's a bad idea for any top flight manager to do this. I read Ronnie Whelans piece in the Herald and I agree with him.

Ronnie Whelan + Hearld = Agree???

Error!! Error!!! Does not compute!!!

PC load letter!!!

Yes actually. Not necessarily 'support', but lean slightly closer towards. Coke is already world famous - do they really need a super bowl ad that costs somewhere in the region of 10 million dollars?

Advertising is all about repetition and awareness, and for all the die hard supporters who would never dream of taking an interest in another team, there are plenty of people who flip-flop around and kind of get drawn into a different team each year. My brother's one of them (for which i ridicule him mercilessly).

So if you have a chance to get 45 minutes of primetime TV, most of which is praising your team, with a charismatic figurehead, from a marketing point of view it's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Didn't watch but Klopp has always been entertaining and an insightful man so getting him is a bit of a coup.

Now if they got Guardiola it would be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

Yes actually. Not necessarily 'support', but lean slightly closer towards. Coke is already world famous - do they really need a super bowl ad that costs somewhere in the region of 10 million dollars?

Advertising is all about repetition and awareness, and for all the die hard supporters who would never dream of taking an interest in another team, there are plenty of people who flip-flop around and kind of get drawn into a different team each year. My brother's one of them (for which i ridicule him mercilessly).

So if you have a chance to get 45 minutes of primetime TV, most of which is praising your team, with a charismatic figurehead, from a marketing point of view it's a no-brainer.

A football club and a soft drink company isn't a great comparison. Football is about loyalty and supporting your team through thick and thin if your team are struggling you stick with them. If you don't like Coke you stop drinking it. Coke is bad for your health. Public awareness about this has massively increased. They have to keep these marketing campaigns going to combat that and to keep their rivals at bay. The majority of people watching MNF will already have a team they support for years. Even if they become people's 2nd team for want of a better term, what benefit does that have to LFC? They won't be running it to buy their jerseys or go to matches etc.

Would your brother ever buy merchandise from any of these clubs or go to their matches?

The best marketing he can do is get his team back to winning major honours. Not jumping on TV, courting the media or doing adverts.

• Advertisement

A football club and a soft drink company isn't a great comparison. Football is about loyalty and supporting your team through thick and thin if your team are struggling you stick with them. If you don't like Coke you stop drinking it. Coke is bad for your health. Public awareness about this has massively increased. They have to keep these marketing campaigns going to combat that and to keep their rivals at bay. The majority of people watching MNF will already have a team they support for years. Even if they become people's 2nd team for want of a better term, what benefit does that have to LFC? They won't be running it to buy their jerseys or go to matches etc.

Would your brother ever buy merchandise from any of these clubs or go to their matches?

The best marketing he can do is get his team back to winning major honours. Not jumping on TV, courting the media or doing adverts.

You'd be surprised...i work in advertising. A brand is a brand is a brand. Those coke ads aren't talking about the health benefits, or downplaying concerns, they're just building and reinforcing brand awareness. Over and over again. And if those concerns go away, they'll still keep doing it. Same as every single brand out there.

As for the "through thick and thin" supporters thing, as I said in my previous post, that only makes up some people, in some of the markets. There is plenty of fluid money out there, and that's what you look for. And again, this opportunity was free, so it's 100% benefit as far as the marketing goes. Every club always, always wants to push for more. They're never going to say "well, I reckon we have all the fans and exposure we could ever have, so lets just shut up shop".

As for my brother, yeah the tool will often buy a jersey. He'll also often go to matches when he's traveling for work - which is one of the random fandom generating factors - if he's in a town, and there's a game on, he might go, and then he'll take an interest in them for the year. There are dozens of things that might spark someone into tossing a few shillings into a clubs coffers, and the clubs will always do whatever they can to get them - especially with a "path of least resistance" thing like tonight.

I feel like i've already pretty much made my argument, but as a little additional thing - say you're an Ipswich fan. But you're in Liverpool on business midweek. There's an EFL game on. You remember that Klopp fella was kinda endearing, and that 45 minute presentation of some bloody brilliant football on display, and an interesting tactical breakdown, is there a chance you might pop along to a game?

I'm a lifelong Liverpool fan, but i've seen a dozen or more other teams play on my travels for one reason or another. And advertising/marketing is often not about a killer "this'll grab this person entirely" approach. it's a soft, steady stream of awareness and brand building. Sure, it'll go in one ear and out the other for most, but the few times it sticks more than make up for the outlays. Which is why advertising is ****ing everywhere.

And of course winning is the best advertisment of all. But it's not the only one. You weigh up the pro's and con's of any opportunity, and some will make more sense than others. Obviously this is one they figured made sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Klopp just gets away with stuff others wouldn't.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

........... but as a little additional thing - say you're an Ipswich fan. But you're in Liverpool on business midweek. There's an EFL game on. You remember that Klopp fella was kinda endearing, and that 45 minute presentation of some bloody brilliant football on display, and an interesting tactical breakdown, is there a chance you might pop along to a game?...................

If they did pop along it'd be more to do with huge club Liverpool in Europe & Anfield experiece etc etc rather than Klopp on Monday Night Football last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Thought his analysis was quite insightful and easily explained. Veered on the right side of the line between interesting and overly complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

You'd be surprised...

listen Rebel, between this and the Allerdyce thing, you're talking far too much sense for boards bandwagons. stop it...

now where's my pitchfork...

Advertisement