If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise for 4k TV for gaming/movies

Options
  • 26-09-2016 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hey Guys,[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I recently hit my my 60" Samsung with a Vive controller and I’m looking to get a replacement TV. Im looking at a 4k TV from either Samsung or LG.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Few Questions:[/font]
    1. How do I tell what versions of HDR are on each TV? Which version of HDR is best for my budget? LG just list them as “HDR Pro” and “HDR Super”
    2. How can I find the true refresh rate of TV’s?
    3. Smart part of tv's. are they still crap? Ive heard good things about webOS but that it doesnt have too many apps available, and that Samsung has more apps but all i really care about is Youtube, Netflix, and the possibility to stream from my NAS. 
    4. How much is delivery to Cork?
    5. If i see a tv on Richersounds.co.uk, is it possible to get that delivered from Richersounds in Belfast?
    [*]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Details:[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]• My budget is €2k but flexable for the right tv[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]• I have an amp and speakers so not too bothered about the TV’s sound quality[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]• I sit 2-2.5M from my TV, is 60” the right size to look for? I won’t always be this close to the TV as I’m only renting at the moment[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]• I will mainly be watching TV and Movies on the TV but will also be doing some couch PC Gaming too using my PC with an Nvidia 970[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]• Current TV’s I’ve picked out myself are:[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]LG 60/65UF770v, 60/65UH770v 65UH750v, 65UH661v [/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Samsung 60/65JU6400,60/65KU6000,65KU6400[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I have no brand loyalty but I’ve heard (after I picked these) that LG’s 2015 LED TV’s weren’t great compared to competition. I’m only really looking at Samsung or LG but I’m open to others[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ricochet69

Also just want to say thanks, you guys always give great advise and I've always bought any Home theater stuff from ye.

bump?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Ricochet69 wrote: »
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I recently hit my my 60" Samsung with a Vive controller and I’m looking to get a replacement TV. Im looking at a 4k TV from either Samsung or LG.[/font]

• How do I tell what versions of HDR are on each TV? Which version of HDR is best for my budget? LG just list them as “HDR Pro” and “HDR Super”
    • How can I find the true refresh rate of TV’s?
    • Smart part of tv's. are they still crap? Ive heard good things about webOS but that it doesnt have too many apps available, and that Samsung has more apps but all i really care about is Youtube, Netflix, and the possibility to stream from my NAS. 
    • How much is delivery to Cork?
    • If i see a tv on Richersounds.co.uk, is it possible to get that delivered from Richersounds in Belfast?

[*]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]• My budget is €2k but flexable for the right tv[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]• I have an amp and speakers so not too bothered about the TV’s sound quality[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]• I sit 2-2.5M from my TV, is 60” the right size to look for? I won’t always be this close to the TV as I’m only renting at the moment[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]• I will mainly be watching TV and Movies on the TV but will also be doing some couch PC Gaming too using my PC with an Nvidia 970[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]• Current TV’s I’ve picked out myself are:[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]LG 60/65UF770v, 60/65UH770v 65UH750v, 65UH661v [/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Samsung 60/65JU6400,60/65KU6000,65KU6400[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I have no brand loyalty but I’ve heard (after I picked these) that LG’s 2015 LED TV’s weren’t great compared to competition. I’m only really looking at Samsung or LG but I’m open to others[/font]
    [*]
    Hi Richochet69.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

The LG UF series and the Samsung JU series are now totally finished as they are last years models. (Although I have just seen the 65JU6400 listed on our website, so we most have got stock for somewhere ;) )  it is not HDR however.

60UH770 coming in at £1399.00. - Currently chasing stock.
    65UH770 coming in at £1599.00. - in stock in our main warehouse.
    I have to say I do like some of this years LG LED's and they give some very nice images. Smart features are not as polished as others.
    The LG's also have Dolby vision as well as HDR.

The Samsung KU6400 range also has a very nice picture, we have a smaller KU6400 on display in our store.
    65KU6400 coming in at £1473.00 - Currently listed as an in store only collection so I couldn't have this shipped unfortunately.

You could also perhaps look at the Panasonic 65DX750 which is a fantastic television.
    Its currently priced at £1649.00 or 1999.99 Euro - Right on budget and currently in stock.
    Also includes our VIP 6 year guarantee.
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201909-viera-tx65dx750b.aspx

I hope this helps a little :)
    Let me know what you think, any questions drop me a post.

• How do I tell what versions of HDR are on each TV? Which version of HDR is best for my budget? LG just list them as “HDR Pro” and “HDR Super”
    • How can I find the true refresh rate of TV’s?
    • Smart part of tv's. are they still crap? Ive heard good things about webOS but that it doesnt have too many apps available, and that Samsung has more apps but all i really care about is Youtube, Netflix, and the possibility to stream from my NAS. 
    • How much is delivery to Cork?
    • If i see a tv on Richersounds.co.uk, is it possible to get that delivered from Richersounds in Belfast?

[*]

[*]
    Hi Richochet69.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

The LG UF series and the Samsung JU series are now totally finished as they are last years models. (Although I have just seen the 65JU6400 listed on our website, so we most have got stock for somewhere ;) )  it is not HDR however.

60UH770 coming in at £1399.00. - Currently chasing stock.
    65UH770 coming in at £1599.00. - in stock in our main warehouse.
    I have to say I do like some of this years LG LED's and they give some very nice images. Smart features are not as polished as others.
    The LG's also have Dolby vision as well as HDR.

The Samsung KU6400 range also has a very nice picture, we have a smaller KU6400 on display in our store.
    65KU6400 coming in at £1473.00 - Currently listed as an in store only collection so I couldn't have this shipped unfortunately.

You could also perhaps look at the Panasonic 65DX750 which is a fantastic television.
    Its currently priced at £1649.00 or 1999.99 Euro - Right on budget and currently in stock.
    Also includes our VIP 6 year guarantee.
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201909-viera-tx65dx750b.aspx

I hope this helps a little :)
    Let me know what you think, any questions drop me a post.
    [*]

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the reply. 

Can you give me a bit of insite into HDR? Whats the difference between the different versions?

Does Sky Go (Irish version of Sky Now) work on the samsung tv's?

What about refresh rate for the two models, like i said, i will be gaming on these so its important that the refresh rate is high on these?

Delivery to Cork cost?

Regarding the LG and Samsung models, what ones would have the better image quality in terms of blacks?

cheers

• Advertisement

Guys,

Im fairly keen to get this TV bought in the next few days, I understand you guys are probably busy but whatever questions you can answer above would be greatly appricated. 

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Guys,

Im fairly keen to get this TV bought in the next few days, I understand you guys are probably busy but whatever questions you can answer above would be greatly appricated. 
    HI Ricochet69,

apologies for the delay in getting back to you, it has been pretty busy in here today

The difference in HDR terms, is that pretty much all 4k TVs of last years models were called UHD HDR tvs, as there wasn't any strict guidelines on what classified as HDR, whereas now there are definite spec etc that must be met, so they are now classed as UltraHD/Premium

Have a look here to explain it better - http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdr-tv-high-dynamic-television-explained

Sky Go doesn't work through the TV as such, as an app, but if you have it on another device it can be streamed to the TV using the likes of googlecast 

Rfresh rates, The pansonic I believe would be best at 1800BMR - it is difficult to compare as each manufacturer uses their own terminology ( the Lg65 has 2500PMI and the Samsung has 900PQI) but these numbers basically show the TVs position inn the range as far as refresh rates go. Either the Panasonic or the LG would be a very high rate, the samsung would be decent but not as high

Shipping to Cork if you pay in sterling would be £6.99, shipping is included if paying in Euro

Personally if it was between the LG and the Samsung, I would go for the LG based on your queriers regarding colour/bvlacks, and also refresh rates

Hope this helps

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

legrand wrote: »
    Thanks Legrand

So been looking over this hard and I'd like to order this today hopefully. Im between the Samsung [font=arial, sans, sans-serif]65KU6400, 60KS7000 and the LG 60UH770v. [/font]

[font=arial, sans, sans-serif]1. Is Quantum dot vs dolby visual, which one is considered better? For to get a display to output using quantum dot or Dolby visual does the media need to support that. So does the 4k Bluray have to support QD or DV simular to DTS and DD?[/font]
    [font=arial, sans, sans-serif]2. Is the KU6400 HDR?[/font]

• Advertisement

So after doing a bit more reading the real format wars is HDR10 vs Dolby Visual. Does the LG770 support both? 

I'm still a bit confused about quantum dot because I thought it supplied better colour accuracy and brighter. Isnt that simular to HDR? Im just not sure where QD fits into this and if its worth the extra money

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

So after doing a bit more reading the real format wars is HDR10 vs Dolby Visual. Does the LG770 support both? 

I'm still a bit confused about quantum dot because I thought it supplied better colour accuracy and brighter. Isnt that simular to HDR? Im just not sure where QD fits into this and if its worth the extra money
    This thread may help you
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-uh850v-or-ks7500.2050030/#post-24089428

AVForums is a great resource so you may look there for research.
    I'll leave there (sorry - won't interfere further) 

This thread may help you

Thanks man

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

This thread may help you

Thanks man
    No worries.

If we can help in any other way drop us a post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.