Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing a leaving cert exam!?!

Options
  • 26-09-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey guys I'm just looking for a bit of info regarding accomodations for missing an exam in the leaving cert. I only ask because I'm doing 6 subjects and have been continually warned that I should do a 7th in case I miss an exam, of course there's some logic to this but I don't think it's worth trudging through a year of a despised subject in an already packed and stressful year. Also the probability of me actually missing an exam are slim to none but just in case, what would happen were I to miss one? I'm aware that missing one of the core subjects (English, Irish, maths) means I may have to repeat 6th year anyway so this is more with regard to my other 3. Any advice and info at all is appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There are no reasonable accommodations for *missing* an exam, you would simply be left with 5 subjects to count for points.

Should you become ill, every reasonable effort will be made to allow you to undertake the exam in a side room (if necessary) at the normal time, but if for some reason you have to totally miss the exam, that's it (for this year at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Even if you missed one of Irish, English or Maths, this wouldn't necessarily mean that you would have to repeat sixth year as some college courses do not require a pass in maths and others will look for a pass in either Irish or English.

If you think it is a possibilty that you may miss an exam due to a health issue, say a dodgy back, you could always register for an extra subject externally at ordinary level. Something that would come very easily to you and take very little effort. Even a grade O5 would get you an extra 20 points that could get you the course you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MrPotatoMan245

So no one goes chasing after you if you didn't show up for an exam that isn't Maths, English or Irish? Any other possible repercussions? I have accounting tomorrow and I'm not counting it in my top 6 nor do I need it for my college requirements, so really it's just a waste of time learning all these layouts and definitions 😔 would prefer to spend the time in subject I am counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The chances of you missing an exam due to illness are relatively small OP, and as has already been said, the SEC do everything possible to allow you to sit the exam whether that be in a separate room in the school or in the hospital. But exams must be taken when they are scheduled. There's no doing the exam two days later.

Lots of students repeat the LC every year and only take 6 subjects and I doubt they consider that they might be sick for one of them. What would be of more concern is if you sit 6 subjects and one doesn't go well for you, you have no back up. That's why 7 is useful. Particularly if you can find one that compliments your interests or one that compliments one of the subjects you are already do, e.g. Biology and Ag Science, Physics and Applied Maths etc.

Advertisement