Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on potential purchase

• 26-09-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

My commute to work has changed a lot so I'm looking at moving to a small diesel. Really like the ford focus.

I test drove this car there last week, and liked it well enough, light and nippy but Ive never had a Ford before so I don't know much about them. Is there anything I should look out for.

cbg.ie/ford-focus-1.6-2012-dublin-diesel-brown-saloon

Can't post a direct link cos I'm new so I took out the first bit, its the low mileage and saloon shape I like

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Viriconia wrote: »
    My commute to work has changed a lot so I'm looking at moving to a small diesel. Really like the ford focus.

I test drove this car there last week, and liked it well enough, light and nippy but Ive never had a Ford before so I don't know much about them. Is there anything I should look out for.

cbg.ie/ford-focus-1.6-2012-dublin-diesel-brown-saloon

Can't post a direct link cos I'm new so I took out the first bit, its the low mileage and saloon shape I like
    A focus diesel should tick a lot of boxes, make sure it has been well taken care of though.

A small diesel with style and comfort would be a volvo c30 1.6 DRIVe not everyone's cup of tea but it is a very good place to sit in, should be reliable and sips diesel (it is actually based on the same platform as the focus).

We may be able to give you more suggestions if you tell us more about the nature of the commute, what length? Is it motorway only? Is there a lot of start/stop traffic? Also, what's the budget?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insist on a full and documented service history. TDCI engines are good, but won't put up with patchy servicing.

Oil changes must be spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Viriconia

Doing 100km a day at least, Navan to Dublin. - a bit of stop start around blanch in the mornings but usually a straight run before and after. Evenings stop start to the M3 then a straight clear run the rest of the way.

I checked the service history, book filled in from main dealer at 20k, next service due now at 40k.
    Actual budget not great, I'm kinda limited as to who will take my old car as a trade in as its high mileage and in need of repairs, so id be financing the car with a trade in + loan + a tiny bit of cash. I've always bought older cheaper cars but at high cost in the end, so I'm just going to have to bite the bullet now as I absolutely need a car I can rely on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Book filled in isn't enough. I'd want invoices to support any service history.

p.s. Run a data check also.

Did a motorcheck report - all clear and nothing flagging - no breaks in tax records or anything else I could see that would cause alarm.

Is there any other checks I can do?

Should I be concerned there's only been one service in four years, even though it's matching the recommended service intervals (20k)
    Not sure if there'll be any invoices but it's something I'll ask, worth knowing, thanks

• Advertisement

Did a motorcheck report - all clear and nothing flagging - no breaks in tax records or anything else I could see that would cause alarm.

Is there any other checks I can do?

Should I be concerned there's only been one service in four years, even though it's matching the recommended service intervals (20k)
    Not sure if there'll be any invoices but it's something I'll ask, worth knowing, thanks
    I wouldn't be too keen on the one service over 4 years period... should be every 2 years at the very least...
    If it's reliability you're after, you should find a honda civic diesel within budget. These are pretty much bulletproof, spacious and quite good to drive.

Oil change should be annual regardless of mileage.

The trouble with spacious for me is I'm a bit under 5 foot so it's awkward for me to drive anything bigger as its just not comfortable. The focus is very compact inside so everything is within reach. Didn't realise how much of an annoyance it was in bigger cars til I drove this.

I'll be talking to the dealership tomorrow so I'll ask for a more in depth service history. Got stung before on a 08 car that looked like it never had an oil change, so it's something I'm conscious of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Doing 100km a day at least, Navan to Dublin. - a bit of stop start around blanch in the mornings but usually a straight run before and after. Evenings stop start to the M3 then a straight clear run the rest of the way.

I checked the service history, book filled in from main dealer at 20k, next service due now at 40k.
    Actual budget not great, I'm kinda limited as to who will take my old car as a trade in as its high mileage and in need of repairs, so id be financing the car with a trade in + loan + a tiny bit of cash. I've always bought older cheaper cars but at high cost in the end, so I'm just going to have to bite the bullet now as I absolutely need a car I can rely on.

That's the thing: this engine does not tolerate oil changes every 30kkm. 15kkm should be fine with your usage, but the way it was used an interval of 10kkm would be much more appropriate.

Skip this one then.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Skip this one then.

Because of the oil changes / services or more reasons?

I'm bringing it for an inspection by another garage in the next few days, will they spot anything amiss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There must be over 100 2012 Focus diesels for sale, move on to another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've personally seen and driven this one and it's an excellent car with just about every extra you can think of.

http://www.mordauntgroup.com/used-cars/Ford/Focus/TITANIUM-X/2135803182353727423/

I have no affiliation with this garage BTW. I looked at it for herself a few weeks back when she was looking for a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The trouble with spacious for me is I'm a bit under 5 foot so it's awkward for me to drive anything bigger as its just not comfortable. The focus is very compact inside so everything is within reach. Didn't realise how much of an annoyance it was in bigger cars til I drove this.

Some of the bigger cars with higher spec would have huge amounts of adjustment of seats and steering wheel position. I've never tried to see how small mine can get put I'm sure that someone under 5' could easily adjust it to be comfortable, only thing is my car wouldn't be suitable for your commute.

Whatever car you pick get a mechanic to check it over before you purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Yeah, just be conscious that a larger car will tend to come with more adjustment available than some smaller cars (like seat height), and also would be more likely to have automatic lights and wipers, steering wheel controls and reversing sensors.

Yeah, I've owned a few bigger cars and even with seat adjustments etc, they're still moulded around someone taller and it's just uncomfortable. Anyway that's just an aside, really. Just want something smaller and newer.
    I drove it for a few days and while it didn't set the world on fire or anything, it's a lovely drive and just fine for what I need it for.
    It's also got a 12 month warranty :/

Anyway sure I'll keep looking, I just thought it was really nice, I really liked the small saloon look of it.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    There must be over 100 2012 Focus diesels for sale, move on to another one.

Yeah I'm still looking, I was just looking for more advice on why to avoid this one, cos I don't want to start a thread for every car I like without learning why i should avoid it :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Hi Viriconia I have a Ford Focus diesel for the past 3 years with a long commute + would highly recommend it. Great car nothing exicting but very reliable once it is looked after + serviced. I wouldn't go for that particular one a diesel car in my opinion should be serviced at least once a year if you are doing the proper mileage + wouldn't be that keen on a diesel thats not doing the mileage. There are loads of ford garages around so you should have no problem looking at other ones .

Yeah, I called into a few with my car but they weren't interested in taking it as a trade in as the mileage is too high and it needs a lot of work.

I may just repair mine and try keep it going for another while.

I would have thought this was fine, they were taking mine as a trade in, and it had ok mileage and had been serviced 20k km ago so I'm just trying to learn what should cause me to concern, because I could look at 100 different cars and not know when to walk away. It might seem obvious to you guys but it's really not to me, so I'm just trying to learn.

Looks decent, make sure it comes with full service history (with bills if possible).

• Advertisement

I have the AA pre purchase inspection booked for tomorrow, should I go ahead or cancel?

That is the older model Focus with the older version of the 1.6 TDCi engine which is not as reliable as the one fitted to the newer model Focus. Reliability is patchy on them even with careful servicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

At this kind of price point and reliability is top of the list, could you stretch to a new Dacia Duster? Starts at 16600. Without the trade in you should get a small discount off that.

You get the benefit of a brand new car and a 5 year warranty from the manufacturer. That engine is proving to be bullet proof and I haven't heard of many showstoppers with the Duster. At least call in to see a Dealer. A 152 or nearly new 161 nearly new is definitely an option and you get the balance of the remaining warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Just remember that the Duster might be cheap, but it's cheap for a reason.
    ....Euro NCAP’s poorest result was achieved by Dacia Duster with three star....

http://www.euroncap.com/en/search-results/?query=duster&x=0&y=0

Ach, my own is only worth 3 to 4K as a trade in, maybe going to knock it on the head, sell it up and get some cheap yoke, they've failed me less than trying to upgrade.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That is the older model Focus with the older version of the 1.6 TDCi engine which is not as reliable as the one fitted to the newer model Focus. Reliability is patchy on them even with careful servicing.

Would an AA pre-inspection pick up on any issues left over from the lack of services?

I think I'm going to knock it on the head anyway, but if it gets a pass in a pre-inspection I might be undecided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ach, my own is only worth 3 to 4K as a trade in, maybe going to knock it on the head, sell it up and get some cheap yoke, they've failed me less than trying to upgrade.

Sell your car, then use the money towards buying the new one!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sell your car, then use the money towards buying the new one!

Aye, thought of that, but what do I drive in the meantime, as I've 100km commute every day. Trade in is my only option. And I'd feel guilty selling it to someone.

Not really, you can drive it while it's for sale. Just worry about it if you sell your own.

What is the trade in?

• Advertisement

Ok going to be realistic and change the plan.

Going to look at an 08 Avensis 1.6 petrol, FSH with the main dealer, 12 month warranty.

Anything I should look out for on these cars? Also going to take it to get checked out by independent mechanic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Insist on a full and documented service history. TDCI engines are good, but won't put up with patchy servicing.

Oil changes must be spot on.

In other words they are not good, they are soft and can't take any abuse.

The old Duratec engines were good. They simply didn't break down even when not serviced. The engine would be the last part left good even when the rest of the car was ****ed.

Musketeer4 wrote: »

It depends how you define good...

They are nippy, quiet and economical. They just don't tolerate abuse.

grogi wrote: »
    It depends how you define good...

They are nippy, quiet and economical. They just don't tolerate abuse.

Been driving it now for a few days it it is nippy and smooth, but since I don't know if it was getting regular oil changes etc other than at 20k km I'm going to move on I think.

Any opinions on an avensis?

Brought it for the AA inspection today anyway cos it was booked and they'd charge me to cancel. It passed fine, guy said it was a great little car, was happy with the engine and said engine / transmission / electrics were all perfect.
    I specifically mentioned the service history and he said there was no evidence of any mistreatment and he'd be happy to recommend it for purchase if I decided on it.

I'll leave it in the maybe pile for now.

Ok going to be realistic and change the plan.

Going to look at an 08 Avensis 1.6 petrol, FSH with the main dealer, 12 month warranty.

Anything I should look out for on these cars? Also going to take it to get checked out by independent mechanic.

Make sure it's taxed on the old cc based system as post July 08 Avensis petrols have much higher tax.
    Motortax.ie will tell you the tax rate if you put in the reg number.

Avensis 1.6 are a great car IMO. They're not fast or flash but they're safe and reliable.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Make sure it's taxed on the old cc based system as post July 08 Avensis petrols have much higher tax.
    Motortax.ie will tell you the tax rate if you put in the reg number.

Avensis 1.6 are a great car IMO. They're not fast or flash but they're safe and reliable.

Ach, it was gone when I enquired :(

Still in two minds on the Focus, it's been great for the last week and very light on fuel. Smooth as anything to drive. I'm very regular with services and oil changes so the future would be ok but still, high risk even with 12 month warranty and breakdown assist!
    Going to get a 2nd opinion as well as the AA check just to be sure, but still looking. Leaning towards an Avensis for sure.

There are **** loads of 08 petrol ones around! Toyota had yards full of them in 08 that they practically gave away in the run up to (and after) the tax system changes.

No modern diesel engine will take kindly to abuse.

Those TDCI units were smooth, had a good linear power/torque delivery, and were good on fuel.

^^ Alas, you are right. Modern diesels, while fuel efficient, are terrible with regard to robustness and reliability.
    I feel that if I bought a modern diesel that I just could not rely on it long term.

I would generally have favoured diesel but at this point I rarely hear anything good and I'm actually much more drawn to petrol cars because they are ahead in the reliability and robustness stakes.

^^ Alas, you are right. Modern diesels, while fuel efficient, are terrible with regard to robustness and reliability.
    I feel that if I bought a modern diesel that I just could not rely on it long term.

I would generally have favoured diesel but at this point I rarely hear anything good and I'm actually much more drawn to petrol cars because they are ahead in the reliability and robustness stakes.

I don't think it's true anymore...

The diesels did not really change that much over last 10 years. Petrols went though massive changes...

The modern turbo-charged-ultra-efficient petrols are still young enough, but we will hit similar reliability issues as with the diesels...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

1.6 petrol mk2 àvensis are a great car, I have one, but I only do about 6k miles a year.
    I would definitely have got a 1.8 if I was buying one now though. At 120kph in 5th you're at around 3200 rpm so it really feels like it could do with a 6th gear. The 1.8 has very similar fuel economy but the gearing makes it a much nicer car on a long motorway drive.

Going to stick with diesel for now I think since I do roughly 26k km a year
    Looking at a 2009 2.0 Avensis next week, basically just want something sturdy and reliable. Hoping I'll end up knowing about cars by the end of all this.

Running the finances again I think I'm just going to repair mine and hope I get another 6 to 12 months out of it, and try get some cash together in the meantime. Looking at about 500 to get it fixed, after 500 a few weeks ago and 900 a few before that, possibly another 500 / 1000 in a while again.
    Still cheaper than trying to upgrade, at least it's failing in instalments.

Has anyone any opinions on this?
    Is there anything I should be looking out for on these?

http://www.gowanmotors.ie/vehicle/renault-fluence-15dci90dynamique4drairconalloywheels200rtax-2011-11412/

Has anyone any opinions on this?
    Is there anything I should be looking out for on these?

http://www.gowanmotors.ie/vehicle/renault-fluence-15dci90dynamique4drairconalloywheels200rtax-2011-11412/

Them renault DCi engines are great. Had one in the mothers volvo and have one in a Kango. They've taken a lot of abuse and the S40 only calved because of a neglected timing belt. The kango 1.5dci is still going strong and still taking hard abuse well. I drive it with great vigor, usually foot to the floor. Motorway driving with a fully loaded trailer it maxes out at about 110kph at full throttle and maintain that for a couple of hours.

The only thing that lets down renaults is dogy electrics. The one thing that failed in the kango is the accelerator petal potentiometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Just under 30k Miles (48,500KM) on it now..

You say serviced at 20k, Next due at 40k... Is that Miles or KM?

I think the recomended interval is around 12,500. (20k KM). So is it now 8,500 overdue a service? Or is the interval really 20,000 MILES between services?

I do mine every 6k Miles (2008 1.6TDCI)

DakarVert wrote: »

I think the recomended interval is around 12,500. (20k KM). So is it now 8,500 overdue a service? Or is the interval really 20,000 MILES between services?

Yes, it is 18kM/30kkm (for Renaults - I thought we were talking about a Fluence).

http://www.powertrain.renault.com/our-range/powertrain-units-of-our-range/1.5-dcik9k

DakarVert wrote: »

That was the Ford, I dropped that idea, only had one service in 4 years, wasn't comfortable with that.

Try and get the TomTom model Fluence as it's better equipped. There is also a 110bhp version which as a bit more poke than the 90bhp. I think the 110bhp version is 6 speed too.

Or a Laguna if you want a bit more space and comfort:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Renault/Laguna/DY-QUE/1960051654315252476/

• Advertisement
Advertisement