Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards not working

Options
  • 26-09-2016 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Can anybody help here. Any time I try to access boards on my mobile devices I get the message www.boards.ie isn't working (see pic). So far now I can only gain access via Facebook. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved from Blogs.

There is no pic OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

biko wrote: »
    Moved from Blogs.

There is no pic OP.

Sorry about that, I've attached It again in this post. If it can't be seen, here's a gist of what the screenshot says.

'The www.boards.ie page isn’t working

www.boards.ie redirected you too many times.
    Try clearing your cookies.
    ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

Hi Machinehead

That looks like Chrome on an android device - can you confirm? I've tried to reproduce your problem on a similar device with no joy. There is a known issue with Chrome at the moment where on some devices you may see that error temporarily before the page loading completes - we're working to get to the bottom of that at the moment. Can you confirm if this is the error you are seeing or are you experiencing a separate issue?

Cheers
    Rónán

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

Hi, I hope it is OK to contribute.

I too had the same error message recently, not sure exactly when but within the last couple of weeks. I tried clearing all browser data including cookies and chromes app cache and restarting phone but still would get that message. I could, however, access the site using Incognito Mode. I'm quite sure it was to do with switching between the touch site, full site and responsive site. It's strange it worked in Incognito Mode but wouldn't when all browser data was cleared.
    e.g. Select Touch Site -> Full Site -> Touch Site -> Responsive Site -> Legacy.

When I try combinations of these now that error page flashes but it auto-redirects to one of the sites versions. I can't recreate it getting stuck on that error page. I can't remember what exactly I did to fix it as I tried loads different things. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you with a reply. You are correct in saying that the problem is with Chrome on android As of today, the only way I can access Boards is via Facebook. Here is the link to a screenshot of the result I get when I try to access Boards.
    https://goo.gl/photos/Rcy12dXRe8kToTko7
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Im having this issue too on Samsung S7. Boards doesnt work at all on Chrome on the S7

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

OK I've been able to inadvertantly recreate it now. Note the address bar in both the pics posted by others says "boards.ie/b/", which is the Responsive Site. There's clearly an issue/s with the redirects.

(Linux Mint 17.3, Chrome 53.0.2785.143)
    - On Chrome Desktop, type in www.boards.ie - the Full Site opens.
    - Click Responsive Site - it redirects to https://www.boards.ie/b/
    - In the Address Bar, type touch.boards.ie - it redirects to https://touch.boards.ie/b/
    - Click Legacy site - the Full Site opens
    - Click Touch Site
    The error page saying to clear cookies will flash briefly before successfully loading touch.boards.ie. I'm positive there's other combinations of ways to achieve the same result by switching between the different versions of the site.

(Stock Android 5.1.1, Chrome 53.0.2785.124)
    On Chrome Mobile it seemsto get stuck at the error page. This may be related to Chrome's Data Saver setting and/or this issue (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=573502)

As a workaround for anyone with this problem, try the following:
    - Clears Chrome Cookies; Chrome - Settings - Site settings - Storage - Clear Site Storage
    - Disable Data Saver; Chrome - Settings - Data Saver - Turn Off. Boards should now load.
    Recreating the site cookies by going to the various Touch Site, Full Site etc. seems to resolve the issue which allows Data Saver to be re-enabled.
    - Click Legacy site
    - It will likely load the Touch Site
    - Click Responsive Site
    - Click Legacy site
    - Click Full Site
    - Click Touch Site
    - If it doesn't load the Touch Site, alter the order you completed the preceeding indented steps.
    - Re-enable Data Saver - Chrome - Settings - Data Saver - Turn On

If you clear your cookies in the future the problem may or may not re-appear until you follow the steps above again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement