Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel for Family Christmas Break (15 December)

Options
  • 26-09-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to bring my family (2 adults, 2 teenagers) away for 2 nights some time around the 15th December.

The idea is to go up doing some clothes shopping, go to a Christmas market and generally soak up the Christmas atmosphere!

Would anyone have any suggestions on a hotel that would be in a location that is near what we're looking for? Also looking for the hotel to have a nice bar to relax in! This is probably a bit cheap from what I can see but the budget for accommodation is €250.

Also looking to bring them to a show of some sort, either a pantomine, play, musical or something on ice.. Any recommendations on what would be great to see? Also any other gems of advice on what to do??

Thanks in advance!
    Sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Ah sean could not have waited at least till after Halloween before you mentioned Christmas :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Have a look at The Clarion Liffey Valley, you could get 2 nights for around your budget & it is 5 minutes from the Shopping Centre, cinema & M50. Hotel has a pool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Ah sean could not have waited at least till after Halloween before you mentioned Christmas :-(

Prices unfortunately mean that I couldn't! I know its a bit early for any Christmas talk though!

Thabks Knine,. Stayed put their a lot actually but it didnt enter my head! Only thing with it ks would i be right in saying theres not much atmosphere around the hotel with regards to Christmas market or a nice walk at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Have you checked out AirBnB? You could get a pretty cool place for the night around Dublin City Centre. I know it won't have a bar attached but you'll have plenty of bars around. The hotels in your budget might be a little grim, but put your dates, rooms and budget into www.trivago.com and see what you get.

Around that time the Bord Gais Theatre has Big, The Musical on, the Gaiety and Olympia would have their pantomimes on, if you like a Christmas panto then I'm sure they're right up your street.

It sounds like a lovely idea, staying right in the city centre will have a big Christmas atmosphere, a walk around before or after your dinner to see all the lights will be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Sorry to rain on your parade but there's no Christmas market of any substance. There was a pathetic effort on the docks last year, we lasted all of 5 minutes at it. The nearest good quality Christmas market is in Edinburgh, it's excellent and you'll get flights midweek for e10 ew
    Plus, it's a stunning city and despite a similar drug problem to dublin, there are no significant numbers of addicts staggering around the city centre

• Advertisement

Have you checked out AirBnB? You could get a pretty cool place for the night around Dublin City Centre. I know it won't have a bar attached but you'll have plenty of bars around. The hotels in your budget might be a little grim, but put your dates, rooms and budget into www.trivago.com and see what you get.

Around that time the Bord Gais Theatre has Big, The Musical on, the Gaiety and Olympia would have their pantomimes on, if you like a Christmas panto then I'm sure they're right up your street.

It sounds like a lovely idea, staying right in the city centre will have a big Christmas atmosphere, a walk around before or after your dinner to see all the lights will be lovely.

Have checked AirBNB and there is a lot on it, just I am clueless to what areas would be good!? You're dead right about no need for a bar in a hotel if there are plenty of pubs nearby!

Yeah seen BIG was on and was thinking that it could be worthwhile (release the inner child haha).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Big could be brilliant! I'd much prefer it over any Christmas panto, they're not my thing though.

Dublin is a small enough place to stroll around, but personally I'd go for somewhere around Stephen's Green / Baggot Street / Merrion Square. There are a few places on AirBnB I can see available on the 15th to cater for 4 people within your budget. Check out the photos and reviews and go for one!

Thanks a lot for your answer Cath and for actually going to bother of looking things up. I'm going to take a better look at the areas you mentioned on airbnb tonight! :)

Thanks for that Donnelly!! Looks good .

• Advertisement
Advertisement