Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT on Classics

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

if Johnny vtec is caught with no test on lets say an ae86 Corolla he'll have the book thrown at him, be branded a danger to other road users and most likely be tweet of the month on the garda twitter page.

Whereas if Joe bloggs drives a post 1980 landrover defender without test not half as many people will care or be outraged

That's because Johnny vtec was caught doing 120mph down a Donegal bog road and Joe bloggs was pottering about at 25mph ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

I've talked to countless people over the last few years who genuinely thought their 30 year old car was NCT exempt. Of course there are plenty who just don't bother with it but it's shocking the amount of people who think it's still a rolling 30 year rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

It's a common misconception that a 30 year old car is exempt from NCT testing. Iv had arguments with lads many times about this. ''Shur it's on the chape tax I don't need to test it now.''
    It's a common misconception that a ZV plate 'hides' an 80s car from the NCT and and Garda checkpoints. More than a few 80s cars have had the ZV transfer done to attempt this.
    It's a certain fact that locking the NCT test date down to 1980 contributed to a lot of the ringing currently going on as lads attempt to stick a 1970s plate on a car that crosses over that date, cars like Cortinas, Capris, Mantas, etc and so evade the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

unkel wrote: »
    That's because Johnny vtec was caught doing 120mph down a Donegal bog road and Joe bloggs was pottering about at 25mph ;)

He could well be, but chances are he's caught at a conveniently placed check Point on the way to jap fest.

Similarly our friend Joe may be pottering along at 25mph but he could well be doing so while having 4 tonnes of Iford Williams trailer and cattle behind him with nothing more than 1980's landy brakes and a hail Mary to stop him ;)

Like I said ill informed stereotypes play heavily on public perception

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

He could well be, but chances are he's caught at a conveniently placed check Point on the way to jap fest.

Similarly our friend Joe may be pottering along at 25mph but he could well be doing so while having 4 tonnes of Iford Williams trailer and cattle behind him with nothing more than 1980's landy brakes and a hail Mary to stop him ;)

Like I said ill informed stereotypes play heavily on public perception

AH shure he only takes it out on Sundays when most checkpoints do not exist:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I haven't had to bring a car for an NCT in about 15 years, so I can't recall how it works.
    Does anyone know if they leave the car engine running throughout the test? Or do they turn of the engine at intervals?
    The car is fitted with the most annoying immobiliser of all time (Mercedes W140). If the tester turns off the engine during the test, the immobiliser is unlikely to allow a restart unless the tester takes out the key, locks the car, unlocks it, and restarts it. Shouting instructions through the window from the waiting room would be some craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

outfox wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I haven't had to bring a car for an NCT in about 15 years, so I can't recall how it works.
    Does anyone know if they leave the car engine running throughout the test? Or do they turn of the engine at intervals?
    The car is fitted with the most annoying immobiliser of all time (Mercedes W1e40). If the tester turns off the engine during the test, the immobiliser is unlikely to allow a restart unless the tester takes out the key, locks the car, unlocks it, and restarts it. Shouting instructions through the window from the waiting room would be some craic.

Just explain it to the nct mechanic testing it .

OK, thanks. I didn't think I would be allowed the opportunity to talk to the tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you wait by the car, you can tell the tester when he comes to get it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

And yes they have to switch it off when doing the shock absorber test and when it's on the ramp for underbody inspection

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. That's what I was worried about. I'll have to bring a written SOP for the tester to follow.
    Has anyone else been through this immobiliser ordeal with a W140?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

outfox wrote: »
    Thanks for that. That's what I was worried about. I'll have to bring a written SOP for the tester to follow.
    Has anyone else been through this immobiliser ordeal with a W140?

I have with my W140. It immobilises 30 sec after switch off. I just did as said above. Stood by the car and told the chap. However he was only lining them up and a different test took the car. I did see a conversation between both and there were no issues.

Good luck.

Advertisement