Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Proposed Sheep Scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

rangler1 wrote: »
    Why not bolus them before the ram goes out with them, I'd always bolus them a month before putting out the ram so that any deficiencies would be addressed before mating

Exactly the best method is the bolus given before we sponge and flush the ewe and one job done and dusted and all ewes covered. This is a simple straight forward scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

razor8 wrote: »
    Think the terms and conditions state post mating rather than pre mating which is very strange

Just read the Ts and Cs, boluses can be given 7 - 10 days before putting in the ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭paddysdream

razor8 wrote: »
    Think the terms and conditions state post mating rather than pre mating which is very strange

Not really as the "thinking" behind it is that most people use mineral supplementation pre mating so the idea is to get people to do something which they normally don't.
    No one seems to be clear as to what is or will be a correct amount or vector which may leave it open to interpetation.
    Sales dockets will probably be the only means of testing compliance for this.
    Not complaining re the ten euro but all these schemes seem to be a great way of handing out money to farmers and then getting us to distribute it amongst the wider community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Why not bolus them before the ram goes out with them, I'd always bolus them a month before putting out the ram so that any deficiencies would be addressed before mating

That's my point,we give mineral drench pre mating,surely that would have made a lot more sense from an animal welfare point of view than rounding up stressed ewes when ram is out with them?

Information meeting tomorrow night in Athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Thursday night in Carrick on Shannon. Staff there from 7pm onwards. Landmark Hoitel. Meeting starts at 8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If you scanned 345 lambs from your 209 ewes let's say but you only sell 320 lambs and have none in your census.what are you going to say about 25 lambs that aren't there...fox,abortion...
    Legally doesn't knackery have to take dead lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

If you scanned 345 lambs from your 209 ewes let's say but you only sell 320 lambs and have none in your census.what are you going to say about 25 lambs that aren't there...fox,abortion... Legally doesn't knackery have to take dead lamb

Our knackery takes a bag of them for a fiver with a dead ewe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Id be cautious as regards the mineral dosing at mating for hill flocks. It will result in a number of ewes having twins that aren't capable of maintaining them on the hill. It might be a good idea if you have lowland grass that can maintain them for the spring and summer, but for any guys who let them back to the hills it could end up being a nightmare, i.e. higher losses in both sheep and lambs, a lot more runt lambs and ewes being in poor condition going to the ram the following year... Sheep welfare?

A far more suitable option for hill flocks would be supplementation in mid to late pregnancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Just read the Ts and Cs, boluses can be given 7 - 10 days before putting in the ram

i only bolus pre-lambing and drench pre mating, not hard to give them a cheap cobalt drench mid pregnancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Sami23

Quick one on the Flystrike Control action for lowland flocks.
    Is it for lambs or ewes or both that it has to be carried out on do ye know ?
    Thanks

Good meeting last night in Athlone, anyone there, a bit of point scoring against the department guys from the back of the crowd at the end, it's a good scheme, everyone should try to take avantage

Sami23 wrote: »
    Thanks

Was anything like this asked last night rangler1

Was anything like this asked last night rangler1

every task chosen has to be carried out across the whole flock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭roosky

the minerals is only to ewes and the fecal sampling is only lambs

roosky wrote: »

the minerals is only to ewes and the fecal sampling is only lambs

That's why I was asking if the flystrike control action was for ewes or lambs ?

For the mineral supplementation post mating will the likes of Growvite or Thriver be acceptable for the scheme ?

For the mineral supplementation post mating will the likes of Growvite or Thriver be acceptable for the scheme ?

My own opinion is that the growvite only last few weeks, You're supposed to cover the ewes for 60 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Thanks

Was reading the fly strike, says you've to use mechanical as well as chemicals, to remove daggs, wonder does that mean you'd have to have a clipping machine ? Or could you just use a hand clippers to remove the odd dagg ?

• Advertisement

Thanks

Was reading the fly strike, says you've to use mechanical as well as chemicals, to remove daggs, wonder does that mean you'd have to have a clipping machine ? Or could you just use a hand clippers to remove the odd dagg ?

Yes hand shears would be fine. You have to inspect them twice during summer and dagg dirty ones.

Anyone have the postal address we're to send off the form to ? Mislaid mine or can it be submitted online through agfood ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ssheep welfare scheme
    Dept. Ag
    Government buildings
    Old Abbeyleix rd.
    Portlaoise
    Co. Laois

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

That's why I was asking if the flystrike control action was for ewes or lambs ?
    The first line in the record book for this action states that "Faecal matter can build up around a lambs' hindquarter...." - this would suggest that the measure is applicable to lambs. The actions required are to be carried out between June 1st and Sept 30th when most adult sheep will have been shorn therefore unlikely to require dagging, this is my own opinion. Whether ewes should be included in the book is another question, perhaps yes for safety's sake?
    As rangler said the coverage of these types of supplement will be far less than the 60 days required, to achieve compliance using only these products would require penning and handling during the mating and early pregnacy stages which most would consider unwise.
    Hand shears/clippers is fine as confirmed at the meeting i attended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭BannerBarry

Where can I get a list of approved suppliers for the Mineral Supplementation would anyone know?

Where can I get a list of approved suppliers for the Mineral Supplementation would anyone know?

A list is up on the department website

• Advertisement

All minerals are approved but you have to make sure you buy enough for your flock for sixty days, if it doesn't say that on the container, buy something else, and get a receipt specifying what you've bought

All minerals are approved but you have to make sure you buy enough for your flock for sixty days, if it doesn't say that on the container, buy something else, and get a receipt specifying what you've bought

I was rooting around the website earlier and believe it or not you've to buy them off an approved retailer as well. The old boy I buy mine off is a small one man show that who sells them out of his delivery van, but there his name was up there amoungst all the big boys ie dairygolds and glanbia's. So make sure you've a receipt from a approved retailer as well !!!

I was rooting around the website earlier and believe it or not you've to buy them off an approved retailer as well. The old boy I buy mine off is a small one man show that who sells them out of his delivery van, but there his name was up there amoungst all the big boys ie dairygolds and glanbia's. So make sure you've a receipt from a approved retailer as well !!!

All feed merchants have to be licensed, he wouldn't be allowed do it otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I put 100 ewe lambs to ram in 15. 88 of which lambs last year. All excempt. Fock it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

all animal feed (except dog+cat food) has to be sold through registered organisations. their number should be on receipts + invoices with the manufacturers number on the declaration label

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭cuculainn

I thought you could apply for this online. was i wrong? i cant find it on agfood?

cuculainn wrote: »
    I thought you could apply for this online. was i wrong? i cant find it on agfood?

Cannt be done online, has to be posted back. I couldn't find the form they sent so I reprinted the form from dept website and posted that off.

It will have to be registered post tomorrow morning so! Nothing like leaving till last minute...!

From the area meetings, it seems that once you pass the 1st january a ewe lamb is a hogget and an eligible replacement for a dead/culled ewe.......anyone else take that from the meetings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

From the area meetings, it seems that once you pass the 1st january a ewe lamb is a hogget and an eligible replacement for a dead/culled ewe.......anyone else take that from the meetings
    I didn't make the local meeting but wouldn't there have to be lambs on the end of previous year census for them to qualify as hoggets?

I have some ewes lamb before the new year and I would struggle to call the ewe lambs hoggets:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Just on the action record book, do you have to fill out every section in it with a major emphasis on the two options you selected for your flock or do you just fill out 2 pages/sections in the book? Probably a very stupid question but im genuinely confused!:confused::confused::confused:

DJ98 wrote: »
    Just on the action record book, do you have to fill out every section in it with a major emphasis on the two options you selected for your flock or do you just fill out 2 pages/sections in the book? Probably a very stupid question but im genuinely confused!:confused::confused::confused:

Just the ones you pick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

What is the recommended feeding amount of concentrates to ewes 6 weeks prior to lambing? They will be housed and on good quality haylage.

DJ98 wrote: »
    What is the recommended feeding amount of concentrates to ewes 6 weeks prior to lambing? They will be housed and on good quality haylage.

If it is 70% DND they'd want .3kgs daily.
    If it is 65%dmd they'd want .4 KGS a day.
    If its 60%dmd they'd want .6kgs a day

If it is 70% DND they'd want .3kgs daily.
    If it is 65%dmd they'd want .4 KGS a day.
    If its 60%dmd they'd want .6kgs a day

Might be a bit high for singles, are you advising that rate for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy

• Advertisement

Might be a bit high for singles, are you advising that rate for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy

Ya, you reduce it for singles and increase for trips . there is a table stuck on the door of a press at home where I took it from.

It increases gradually from 8-9weeks out to avoid upsetting stomachs

Surprised only 13,000 out of estimated 30,000 sheep farmers have applied.

They might adjust the money up for the rest of us :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

They might adjust the money up for the rest of us :pac:

No it says unspent money will go back to rural development pot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

Seems very strange. The programme I chose will cost me very little extra per ewe. Can't think of many reasons why you would not sign up.

Typical and I just forked out 8 euro to get the form delivered by 31st of Jan😡

arctictree wrote: »
    Seems very strange. The programme I chose will cost me very little extra per ewe. Can't think of many reasons why you would not sign up.

Department said at the meeting that new entrants and those wanting to expand over their 'quota' should write in for extra so that's what everyone should as the money will be there for them now

Department said at the meeting that new entrants and those wanting to expand over their 'quota' should write in for extra so that's what everyone should as the money will be there for them now

Just expand on that a bit rangler. Does that mean existing lads like myself that now have additional numbers then in the 14 & 15 census , should write in seeking extra allocation ?

• Advertisement

Just expand on that a bit rangler. Does that mean existing lads like myself that now have additional numbers then in the 14 & 15 census , should write in seeking extra allocation ?

That's what they said, to write in and it would depend on whether the €25m/yr was used up.
    You've nothing to lose, you should try it, it looks like all the money won't be used now

Advertisement