Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physalis / Cape Gooseberry

Options
  • 26-09-2016 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

I bought a couple of these plants in May, they polinated and the laterns are now, orange, red and brown.

The brown ones have fallen off the plant but there is no fruit in them, not sure what is happening.

Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Might be birds have eaten the fruit. They taste nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

Sounds like you may have got an ornamental variety. Mine just turn from green to pale yellow - no orange or red, but lots of berries!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Donalde wrote: »
    Sounds like you may have got an ornamental variety. Mine just turn from green to pale yellow - no orange or red, but lots of berries!

Mine go through the full colour spectrum and was sold as fruit plant.

macraignil wrote: »
    Might be birds have eaten the fruit. They taste nice.

I am growing them in the greenhouse and have never seen birds in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Shemale wrote: »
    I am growing them in the greenhouse and have never seen birds in it.

Maybe not birds then. I have never grown them so really don't know why your fruit seems to be missing from inside the lanterns. Maybe mice ate them or they went through flowering without pollination and so were not able to make fruit. Just guessing really.

• Advertisement

I was out checking today and some of the laterns have fruit inside, glad I checked I was going to bin it.

Not sure why only 1/3 or so have fruit, really odd.

Advertisement