Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Telegraph Investigations Megathread - Sam Allardyce resigns as England Manager

• 26-09-2016 10:05pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have a feeling this one is about to become a big story....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/26/exclusive-investigation-england-manager-sam-allardyce-for-sale/

Sam Allardyce used his position as England manager to negotiate a £400,000 deal and offered advice to businessmen on how to “get around” FA rules on player transfers, The Telegraph can disclose.

Before he had even held his first training session as England’s new head coach, Allardyce negotiated a deal with men purporting to represent a Far East firm that was hoping to profit from the Premier League’s billion-pound transfer market.

He agreed to travel to Singapore and Hong Kong as an ambassador and explained to the “businessmen” how they could circumvent Football Association rules which prohibit third parties “owning” players.

Unbeknown to Allardyce, the businessmen were undercover reporters and he was being filmed as part of a 10-month Telegraph investigation that separately unearthed widespread evidence of bribery and corruption in British football.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Not in the least bit surprised

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What a silly man

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I knew his appointment would be comedy gold. Just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Never happen with Hodgson. He's so clean he returned borrowed stationary to the FA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

£400k for two 2 hour meetings. Sam, if it seems too good to be true...

He has to be sacked surely?

I mean, pending investigation by the FA etc, but there's no way his position is tenable if the report is confirmed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GLaDOS wrote: »
    He has to be sacked surely?

I mean, pending investigation by the FA etc, but there's no way his position is tenable if the report is confirmed.

Would imagine he will jump before he is pushed tbh. Wouldn't be shocked if he resigns within the next few days.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If any of that turns out to be true, and it's not looking good for him tbh, there's no way Sam can stay in the England job. Or any other job for that matter. Have the bookies started taking bets on the next manager yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Oh dear.

Oh dear oh dear.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Would imagine he will jump before he is pushed tbh. Wouldn't be shocked if he resigns within the next few days.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see him try to bullshit his way out of it

For the sake of entertainment I hope he does :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ahahahahahahahahaha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He might wriggle out of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

"If I was called Sam Allerdici the papers would be praising my business acumen..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hard to argue with some of the quotes though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Pardew doing his Fa cup final dance to this news . Think he has a chance in getting the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Position untenable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see him try to bullshit his way out of it

For the sake of entertainment I hope he does :pac:

The English fall on their swords a lot quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If he got the money off them I say fair play to him. It's a good sign of a manager that get 400 grand out of a dead horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

On Prince Harry:

“Harry’s a naughty boy. He’s a very naughty boy, very naughty. He shows his bottom and all sorts.”

How did this come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

So blanc would be the weak favorite I'd guess. Hoddle, southgate, Howe have claims. Be surprised if Pards would be offered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Good god this is gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

*popcorn gif*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Ah it'll blow over. Sure it isn't even warranting a yellow breaking news ticker on SSN. Nothing to see here.

Should wipe the smugness of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Ludo wrote: »
    Ah it'll blow over. Sure it isn't even warranting a yellow breaking news ticker on SSN. Nothing to see here.

It will be, once they get their sauces onto it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He'll have a 100% win record as England manager though which is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It has been well-known for a long time that he's unsavoury when it comes to that sort of thing.

It can work out quite well when he and his agent mates are on your side - look at Kone going to Sunderland last January and being arguably the main catalyst for the club staying up. It can also work out terribly - again, look at the Kone situation in the summer when Allardyce had gone. It's the perfect example of the positives and negatives from a club point of view really. I knew that type of player was only coming in because of his agent's links to Allarydce and admittedly I didn't care.

That said, I am a very bitter man and the way things ended with him at Sunderland mean that I am fattening on this and I hope it ends very messily for him. Though the smile will no doubt be wiped off my face when part 2 reveals that Sunderland have been heavily involved and will be deducted 10 points. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

doesn't look good for big sam, however i thought a journalists job was to report on stories. not create a story by entrapping someone?

he may get sacked but surly this form of journalism needs to be questioned?

Poor oul Ravel Morrison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Calling Hodgson "Woy" on camera will go down a storm. Good man Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That's a pity, would have been interesting to see how his management of the England team worked out. This is so much less exciting than it could have been.

On another note, the FA deserve to get a hell of a lot of stick here. The ran an inquiry not even 10 years old now which found Allardyce to have been acting improperly, yet they just forget all about it and appoint him as their manager. :confused:

Serious questions need to be asked and answered there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''He's Fast ''

Didn't even get one training session in and he was using his position to line his own pockets and give inside info to strangers on how to get around the FA rules.
    The man is a piece of shiit.

• Advertisement

"Who am I to tell Wayne Rooney where to play?" That was gold. This new stuff is unobtainium.

I just had a glance at Sam's Wiki there to check out a piece of information. Interesting to see that there is a 'Corruption Allegations' section already there, guess it will be getting an update tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

From my initial look at this the Allardyce part itself seems to be getting sexed up as much as possible, understandably it will clearly sell their papers by the shed load for them having a name like that implicated, but there is a little more style then substance right now. I'll have to wait till a bit more is available, regardless it could make his position untenable tbh.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

doesn't look good for big sam, however i thought a journalists job was to report on stories. not create a story by entrapping someone?

he may get sacked but surly this form of journalism needs to be questioned?

it's investigative journalism, they have a source that said he was dodgy so investigated it. it's not entrapping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's a bit meh tbh.

Funny as hell if he's the one hanged over it, but I'd imagine a lot of FA and probably most if not all PL clubs are corrupt somehow by breaking financial rules, there's too much money there for there not to be an abundance of greed to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hope he doesn't get sacked now. It would be much more entertaining if he carries on, loses to Scotland in the qualifying campaign, and then gets sacked.

If they do get rid of him he'll go down as the manager with the best win percentage in their history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

How could he be so nieve

It's crazy how greed controls some people.

The man has landed the job of his dreams on £3m a year, yet a couple of weeks later he's in a hotel making a dodgy deal and organising trips to the Far East to conduct same. He just couldn't help himself.

Astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The editing after it is a bit off putting though

"Sam has a pop at indecisive Woy"

"Sam takes aim at Gary Neville"

Both instances were pretty spot on if you listen to what he says, or at the very least reasonable. Roy and Gary arguing for 10 minutes over a sub? No, I'm the manager, sit the **** down and shut up Gary is pretty appropriate.

The getting around third party rules etc is enough of a story without resorting to gutter journalism imo.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

How could he be so nieve

That's what I'm thinking you would think he can't be that fcukin stupid

It's the equivalent of getting the Nigerian Prince email and you providing him with your details so he can share his fortune with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Jesus he really comes across as thinking he is invincible, his position is definitely untenable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How could he be so nieve

0725_steave_he_0874.jpgallardyce_3525372b-small_trans++9UBoSe11MJPy0xbuNzaYpneDH97BTwv9B55aX6OpH5o.jpg

Nothing like Elvis Costello's piano player!

I wouldn't agree with all the untenable shouts being thrown around. If the FA decide to just warn him about his future conduct instead of sacking him, I don't think it's going to affect him as manager going forward. Wins a few games and the media are off his back.

He may well wriggle out of this. All depends on whether the FA are willing to absorb this PR disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Don't think like Big Sam. But do not think this is bad enough to be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

This is not the first time Sam was accused of this sort of behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

MD1990 wrote: »
    Don't think like Big Sam. But do not think this is bad enough to be sacked.

He'll prob resign though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement