Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Telegraph Investigations Megathread - Sam Allardyce resigns as England Manager

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

eagle eye wrote: »
    What has happened is the England manager got drunk, said some stupid things and because the FA want to look whiter than white they fired him.

The other stuff that has happened is only trivial. They'll all be back in jobs inside the next six months and we move along.

The FA have allocated £200,000 to their corruption investigation department. I think that tells you exactly how much they care. They spend a couple of million every year investigating PEDs but only 200k on corruption. There isn't a serious PEDs issue in the game and they spend way more investigating it.

There will always be a Ravel Morrison and people like that in the game. All that happens there is they made a mistake and thought the player wouldn't care or was too stupid to realise what was going on.

This is not going to change things at all apart from maybe making those involved in dodgy dealings a bit more careful.

How the hell do you know that?

I'm beginning to think Allardyce was cutting you in on the action as well seeing you're so staunchly defending him.

If he was squeaky clean he'd still be in a job but he's not and Allardyce knows himself that if he stayed in the job more would come out about him so he's taken the easy option and quit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How the hell do you know that?

I'm beginning to think Allardyce was cutting you in on the action as well seeing you're so staunchly defending him.

If he was squeaky clean he'd still be in a job but he's not and Allardyce knows himself that if he stayed in the job more would come out about him so he's taken the easy option and quit.
    Where have I defended Allardyce? I said he should have been sacked but I also said that more people should be sacked including those that gave him the England job. 10 years ago we had the Panorama show revealing a lot about him so anybody who has hired him since that time really has no excuse when something like this happened.

I rate the man as a manager but I'm not defending his dodgy dealings. I'm simply saying I'd still have him manage my club over a lot of holier than thou managers because they won't keep a club up while he will.

Kean called him a crook and took over from him at Blackburn Rovers. If you see the players Kean signed you'd think immediately of dodgy dealings with the prices he paid for awful players. Allardyce brought in Gael Givet to Blackburn and there was some dodgy stuff went on in that deal but Givet did a good job on the pitch for Rovers under Allardyce.

Is that me defending Allardyce for dodgy dealings? No it's not, I'm simply stating that he is a better manager than Steve Kean in every aspect of the game. I don't really care if he is creaming off the side so long as the club doesn't get in bother and does well on the pitch.

As for PEDs, the general belief is there isn't a major problem. I was surprised to hear that but it's the belief of a lot of respectable reporters and people in and around the game who wouldn't be involved and not willing to say that unless they believed it.

The other stuff that has happened is only trivial. They'll all be back in jobs inside the next six months and we move along.
    ...This is not going to change things at all apart from maybe making those involved in dodgy dealings a bit more careful.

Possibly, but apparently the evidence has been turned over to the police, so they can get to see the names that the papers refused to publish because obviously they can't rely on the claims of a few.

While the FA may well be toothless and useless, agents and managers will not like the prospect of being hauled in for questioning to police stations.

Again, nothing may come of it. But even shining a spotlight on the area is a good thing. No player should have their career stymied because the agent for another player is cutting a manager in for putting his player on the team. That cheats clubs, supporters and other players. If the possibility of being recorded or outed in the media or social media causes managers to move away from that ethos, that's a good development.

There has to be some catalyst. We may look back in a few years and think what a waste of time. We may also look back and think it was a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Possibly, but apparently the evidence has been turned over to the police, so they can get to see the names that the papers refused to publish because obviously they can't rely on the claims of a few.

While the FA may well be toothless and useless, agents and managers will not like the prospect of being hauled in for questioning to police stations.

Again, nothing may come of it. But even shining a spotlight on the area is a good thing. No player should have their career stymied because the agent for another player is cutting a manager in for putting his player on the team. That cheats clubs, supporters and other players. If the possibility of being recorded or outed in the media or social media causes managers to move away from that ethos, that's a good development.

There has to be some catalyst. We may look back in a few years and think what a waste of time. We may also look back and think it was a step in the right direction.
    We had the Panorama programme reveal a lot of stuff back in 2006 and all those people are still involved in the game ten years later.
    This investigation is amateur hour compared to what the Panorama team did back then and you can be sure that nothing will come from it.

In my view the Express has lost a lot of credibility over this. I used to consider them a semi-respectable newspaper but now they've lowered themselves to the level of the Sun and the Mirror and that type of pathetic media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Harry Rednapp's dog must be sh*tting it right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Harry Rednapp's dog must be sh*tting it right now

This is old, but still funny.

http://newsthump.com/2012/02/08/redknapps-dog-gets-five-years/

We had the Panorama programme reveal a lot of stuff back in 2006 and all those people are still involved in the game ten years later.
    This investigation is amateur hour compared to what the Panorama team did back then and you can be sure that nothing will come from it.

In my view the Express has lost a lot of credibility over this. I used to consider them a semi-respectable newspaper but now they've lowered themselves to the level of the Sun and the Mirror and that type of pathetic media.

The Express has no credibility whatsoever. These reports were in the Telegraph, which has a bit more credibility, even though I wouldn't be a fan of the paper.

It's very hard to pin anything on managers / agents in these scenarios. Players tend to keep their mouths shut, bar one or two (like Puncheon & Morrison) and it usually comes down to one man's word vs another. For that reason you can see why they went for a sting to gather video evidence. They didn't uncover much of substance unfortunately.

Is George Graham the only manager in the last 30 years to get a ban for illegal payments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Alan Shearer on MOTD, keeping the push for 'England only' on MOTD. Hopefully for their sake the people making the decisions have more sense, though bookies how have Gareth Southgate as the reasonably strong favourite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Billy86 wrote: »
    Alan Shearer on MOTD, keeping the push for 'England only' on MOTD. Hopefully for their sake the people making the decisions have more sense, though bookies how have Gareth Southgate as the reasonably strong favourite...
    But still an odds against favourite, indicating there's no smart money in just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Shearer just wants the job himself. Desperately.

• Advertisement

Having seen the job he did at Newcastle, give it to him!

Plus he wouldn't be on match of the day, so win-win situation.

Then maybe he should become a coach and work his way up and get some experience.

Hard to believe even the likes of Alan Shearer could be so arrogant to even think he would be considered seeing as he has shown zero interested in being a coach and then they wonder why England are so **** if someone who has no interest in coaching thinks he deserves a chance to be the England manager.

Has Shearer actually declared an interest in the job?

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Has Shearer actually declared an interest in the job?

I think he did in the summer during the BBC's coverage of the Euro's.

See link below:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/10327052/alan-shearer-wants-to-succeed-roy-hodgson-as-england-boss

Hermann jeans made a right tit of himself too, giving out about ex players not having enough input (because that always works out just wonderful!) then when pointed toward Gary Neville being Woy's assistant, basically saying it didn't count because he wasn't allowed to manage England in his role as assistant manager. No, that last sentence is not a grammatical error.

I kind of get what he means (or what I think he meant) in terms of the coaching badges being too much of a purely academic exercise without practical assessments being provided. But he did a terrible job articulating himself, and in the end that's what it came over as with both of them - two not-too-bright lads bemoaning the fact they're not smarter than they are. Have g Lineker who - smart or not - is very articulate and polished sitting across from them during that segment also did them no favours.

Holy feck by the way, shearer is ageing at a rate that makes you wonder if he's hit the sauce hard. Not saying that's the case, just that he's aged 15-20 years in the last 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Billy86 wrote:
    I kind of get what he means (or what I think he meant) in terms of the coaching badges being too much of a purely academic exercise without practical assessments being provided. But he did a terrible job articulating himself, and in the end that's what it came over as with both of them - two not-too-bright lads bemoaning the fact they're not smarter than they are. Have g Lineker who - smart or not - is very articulate and polished sitting across from them during that segment also did them no favours.

Billy86 wrote:
    Hermann jeans made a right tit of himself too, giving out about ex players not having enough input (because that always works out just wonderful!) then when pointed toward Gary Neville being Woy's assistant, basically saying it didn't count because he wasn't allowed to manage England in his role as assistant manager. No, that last sentence is not a grammatical error.

Who's Hermann jeans?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Who's Hermann jeans?

Hermann jeans is my autocorrect feature's imaginary friend. Unlike Jermaine Jenas who is a pundit on MOTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So The Daily Telegraph - is that it ? Or is there more to come?

If not it's a pretty pathetic attempt at uncovering fraudulent activity in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

greendom wrote: »
    So The Daily Telegraph - is that it ? Or is there more to come?

If not it's a pretty pathetic attempt at uncovering fraudulent activity in football

the top man is English soccer got the sack - maybe that was the whole agenda , get rid of Sam , cause they did not like him, the English media have a habit of raising dirt on any English manager , then wonder why they never win anything, Why anyone would take they job and abuse is beyond me - Money , perhaps, but most candidates are rich eneogh.

Sam deserved to be sacked. The arrogance of the man. Got what was coming to him.

Must be kicking himself. The dream job etc

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    the top man is English soccer got the sack - maybe that was the whole agenda , get rid of Sam , cause they did not like him, the English media have a habit of raising dirt on any English manager , then wonder why they never win anything, Why anyone would take they job and abuse is beyond me - Money , perhaps, but most candidates are rich eneogh.
    Yes they caught out a man who liked having his ego pandered to. it's hardly shaken football to its core though has it?

There was a huge song and dance about all the revelations that were to appear.

Apart from Sam, all we found out about were a couple of minor figures in the game involved in questionable activity. A huge mountain was advertised and we were barely given a mole-hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Sam is a media darling.

And that's why, despite all their available talent (they're not Spain or Germany on that front, but have a lot of quality players) they barely have any decent managers in the favourites to take the role. And no, they won't be getting Wenger for love nor money.

And that's why, despite all their available talent (they're not Spain or Germany on that front, but have a lot of quality players) they barely have any decent managers in the favourites to take the role. And no, they won't be getting Wenger for love nor money.

I think there's something seriously wrong with English football at international level that even the best managers in World football couldn't fix. Something more fundamental/structural needs to change before results will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

greendom wrote: »
    I think there's something seriously wrong with English football at international level that even the best managers in World football couldn't fix. Something more fundamental/structural needs to change before results will.

Absolutely agree with this. England have had a lot of poor managers, each one since Hoddle having failed in the role. I think the problem lies elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sam deserved to be sacked. The arrogance of the man. Got what was coming to him.

Must be kicking himself. The dream job etc

He's a fool. A high ranking employee of the footballing regulatory body openly discussing getting around regulations. No one to blame but himself

Advertisement