Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Telegraph Investigations Megathread - Sam Allardyce resigns as England Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The allegations are that Allardyce offered advice on how to circumvent FA third-party ownership laws and tried to negotiate a £400,000 deal to address investors in a Far East firm.
    rob316 wrote: »
    People blaming the journalists, give me a break. No one forced him to go on the trip and take the money, he was greedy and stupid enough to get caught.

People are blaming the journalists because they have an article in which they lay out some allegations - and then promptly contradict themselves by showing videos and quotes from Allardyce that don't back up those allegations, and in some cases directly go against the allegations.

For instance, the article talks about his conflict of interest advising on players that might be elligble for England call ups at some point, when he categorically states on their own videos that he would not be taking any part whatsoever in advising. That he would only be doing a 15 minute warm up keynote about football, and would then have a few sociable pints after. That done the line, after he's finished working with England, that he could then maybe offer more advise. It's also key that the role he's supposedly taking is ambassador. Not advisor, not consultant - ambassador.

He may have done something wrong, but those articles have yet to show any evidence of it. And beyond that, it's written extremely badly, which I daresay might be on purpose to muddy a weak argument. The fact they jump into him making fun of Roy's voice shows they know their audience, and have no interest in making a well thought out, clear, inarguable case.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not seeing this as an issue for which he should be sacked. Looks like they were hoping for him to take more of the bait and he actually stayed the right side of the line throughout. The headline and the way the story has been presented ultimately misrepresents the content. A low form of scum journalism, that screams of personal vendettas within the ownership and / or editorial function of the paper.
    Exactly...I kind of think their approach was just "throw out a sensationalistic headline, some judgements up top, a video of him speaking badly of Roy, and hope no-one actually reads any further".

This is no Boston Globe expose, it's a publicity grab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It was even on BBC Radio 4 and they said he'd "insulted" (I believe was the word they used) Hodgson when the only quote they attributed to him was that he said he was indecisive.

It makes the whole thing sound a bit suspicious.

There's no shame in slagging off a proven failure of a management team and they didn't even say he did that - he gave perfectly valid criticism according to the reports.

Then the third-party-ownership stuff sounded very luke-warm indeed and my overriding impression was more about this is why England can't have nice things - they treat their national side and everyone associated with it like absolute dirt.

Not that I'd be surprised if Allardyce was a crook, but this story sounds like overblown bollocks thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Gbear wrote: »
    It was even on BBC Radio 4 and they said he'd "insulted" (I believe was the word they used) Hodgson when the only quote they attributed to him was that he said he was indecisive.

It makes the whole thing sound a bit suspicious.

There's no shame in slagging off a proven failure of a management team and they didn't even say he did that - he gave perfectly valid criticism according to the reports.

Then the third-party-ownership stuff sounded very luke-warm indeed and my overriding impression was more about this is why England can't have nice things - they treat their national side and everyone associated with it like absolute dirt.

Not that I'd be surprised if Allardyce was a crook, but this story sounds like overblown bollocks thus far.

I'd imagine the insult they were referring too was calling him Woy, mocking his speech impedement.

He won't be sacked of there's nothing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

bobmalooka wrote:
    I'd imagine the insult they were referring too was calling him Woy, mocking his speech impedement.

Thats def what it was for. Can't have the national team manager mocking colleagues like that. Have a bit of sympathy for him, but I think he'll go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He's gone!

Mutual agreement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Listening to 5Live, three different news papers are sayng he has resigned.

Whose next then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Offered to resign apparently. Sad story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The old 'mutual agreement'...jumping before hes pished

Edit: typo, still works though!

Haha farcical. 3 months.

What other English managers are there? Should be fun watching this unfold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

paul joyce ‏@pjoyceexpress 17m17 minutes ago
    Sam Allardyce to leave England role tonight. Mutual agreement between him and FA to part ways
    845 retweets 224 likes
    Reply Retweet 845
    Like 224
    More
    Martyn Ziegler ‏@martynziegler 22m22 minutes ago
    Hearing there's likely to be announcement that Allardyce has quit rather been sacked as England manager. Confirmation expected this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Haha farcical. 3 months.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7qDMlVquZI1axqQ8/giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Expect more casualties in the next week or two I think, the telegraph are running this as part of a series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Feel a bit sorry for him on this one to be honest. More than anything he's done, I think it's the embaressment of a few comments, which are grand in a private conversation, but look bad for the FA when aired all over the place.

More than anything he's actually done wrong, i'd say most of this comes from 2 things - mocking Roy, and saying the FA's provisions to block 3rd party ownership don't work.

I guess Southgate to take charge for next week, and the hunt to go on before the round of fixtures after that? Not a lot of options if they want to stick with their English thing though.

PropJoe10 wrote: »

That would be great. Neville as assistant

Steve Bruce the early favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I hear Van Gaal is still free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I think England should take this time to go a different route. They won't and will ultimately go down the same route that sees them perform Poorly time after time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Holey moley

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The Celtic manager might be tempted.

• Advertisement

I hear Van Gaal is still free.

Yeah but he's a foreigner.

Still on the English man cycle. After the next sacking it'll be back on a foreign one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

England have a lot of pace a lot of wily yard dogs and they're not so utterly bereft of quality that they can't play at least basic passing football.

Just get someone in who'll have them playing like utter bastards and they might be half-decent.

That should've been what your Hodgson and Allardyces went for but either they couldn't bring that togetether at the end of a long season or they'll stick stuck with the mentality of passivity that plagues english football culturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

With the criticism the FA have had for corruption in FIFA the last few years they would have been left with egg on their faces over this whole sleazy business and I don't see how they could have kept him around. The writing was on the wall.

I wonder what other revelations the Telegraph will reveal over the coming days. Could other managers be in trouble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

What an idiot. When he landed that job he was genuinely ecstatic,job of his dreams, wanted it all his life, then blows it after one game. At least he can boast a 100% win record :rolleyes:

There is going to be a lot of people on football wondering now are the next because Sam spilled the beans on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Haha farcical. 3 months.

English born manager wanted, international experience, capable of reaching knockout stages.

N1QyCW3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Pearson had a bust up at Derby according to the Telegraph....so not related to their corruption stories by the look of it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/27/derby-county-suspend-manager-nigel-pearson/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lord TSC wrote: »
    That, and I'd imagine that very rarely do these stings catch people participating in their first and only misdemeanor. I'd imagine that usually these stories are a single example of multiple happenings. I can never help but feel that if someone is caught doing things once, it's more than likely they've done it multiple times before being caught...
    This is one of the big reasons why I am against this type of stuff.

You are already saying that because somebody fell for their setup that he has done it before. Another guy is saying that they wouldn't set him up unless they knew they could get him.

Do you see where this is leading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

AhahahaAnahha yes! I can support England again. Thank you thank you thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you see where this is leading?

Exposing corruption in sport?

That, and I'd imagine that very rarely do these stings catch people participating in their first and only misdemeanor. I'd imagine that usually these stories are a single example of multiple happenings. I can never help but feel that if someone is caught doing things once, it's more than likely they've done it multiple times before being caught...

Yep. They didn't call up Allardyce on the off-chance. They called him up because people had told him this sort of thing is right up his alley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

FA just confirmed it. Inappropriate conduct. Gone by mutual consent. Southgate in charge for next 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is corruption the correct word for this?

A PR disaster at worst.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    FA just confirmed it. Inappropriate conduct. Gone by mutual consent. Southgate in charge for next 4 games.

That's a play for Wenger then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is corruption the correct word for this?

A PR disaster at worst.

He took money to help people undermine rules set out by the company he works for. It's textbook corruption.

• Advertisement

He took money to help people undermine rules set out by the company he works for. It's textbook corruption.

He didn't actually take money though did he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Been at a training course all day.... Had a scroll through of the sports news and BAM!!!

Didn't see that coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

19:00
    He won't be sacked of there's nothing in it.

19:10
    He's gone!

Mutual agreement!

Well I guess you were half right! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

He didn't really say anything wrong. He used third party ownership in a way that suggested that the return of an agents percentage on a contract would yield a similar return such is the inflation of wages in the PL. You control the player once you have control of the agent but the fact remains that it's quite legal to do so in football terms as third party ownership only governs around actually owing a player as opposed to having control over one.

Maybe I'm wrong but the editiorial is still sensationalist and it's gutter journalism at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Who is going to take a job where the national press goes out of it's way to stitch you up and get you sacked after one game in charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

But did he take money? and did he outline how to get around rules?

The telegraph seem to have played an excellent bluff here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Haha farcical. 3 months.

None that they should go for, don't get their 'need' for an English manager when there simply aren't very many good ones at all.

Who is going to take a job where the national press goes out of it's way to stitch you up and get you sacked after one game in charge?

Stitch him up or expose him for what he is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Beefy78 wrote: »
    That's a play for Wenger then.

Wegner would be crazy to take it - the media already would have a sting in place , to find some rot in a decent man - poison chalice - give it to 'Arry and have another tabloid feast - why I wonder it England fail fail so gloriously ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Plenty of people would! Especially if you have nothing to hide!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Offered to resign apparently. Sad story.

It's not in the least bit sad.

Multi millionaire loses sight of his job while following up on a chance to grab another ball of money.

It's no tale of hardship anyway.

kfallon wrote: »
    Plenty of people would! Especially if you have nothing to hide!

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

tumblr_lrne1nMOX41r2ikcao1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Billy86 wrote: »
    None that they should go for, don't get their 'need' for an English manager when there simply aren't very many good ones at all.

If the top English clubs don't go for an English manager why should the national team. Eddie howe is the only one that should be under consideration .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Xw9klm0.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement