Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Telegraph Investigations Megathread - Sam Allardyce resigns as England Manager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Who is going to take a job where the national press goes out of it's way to stitch you up and get you sacked after one game in charge?

Heads should roll at the top of the FA too for appointing someone with a shady past, and there were obviously current stories about him when the Telegraph targeted him.

Where could they get an English speaking head of a Football Association though?
    Preferably one who could run FIFA.
    And has met the Queen.
    I wonder.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Notorious wrote: »
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you see where this is leading?

Exposing corruption in sport?
    That's what I'd expect a teenager to say.

Wider picture is that you have now decided that a journalist is seeking truth and justice. You are also certain that a man is guilty of multiple crimes because of this.

Exactly the gullible sensationalist attitude that the paper is looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Gary Megson: Redemption Story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If the top English clubs don't go for an English manager why should the national team. Eddie howe is the only one that should be under consideration .
    Doubt it would be a big issue since it's a BIG BIG job and not a 40-50k office job type of thing, but the post Brexit atmosphere in England might keep a few away. I'm not talking day to day walking down the street stuff so much as media and fan abuse etc, the England job (along with Madrid) is infamous as one of the worst in the world for that already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He took money to help people undermine rules set out by the company he works for. It's textbook corruption.

No he didn't.

He agreed to take money to deliver a keynote speech about football with very specifically absolutely no advising or consulting being done. And it was also stated that he would have to check with the FA first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yes he was set up.
    But it's not like they secretly recorded him having a private conversation with a close friend or family member.

He was happy to say all this to complete strangers, who he believed had money.
    Slagging off his employers, predecessors etc., calling Roy "Woy" FFS in order to humour some strangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

How many times has that Alan Pardew gif been posted!? :pac:

Steve Bruce up next?......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Quite possibly the funniest thing that has ever happened. Couldn't happen to a nicer fella.

Gonna throw a wild card out there, if they do insist on going British actually...

west-brom-v-gateshead-tony-pulis-fa-cup_3247407.jpg?20150103153405

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The English FA need a squeaky clean manager now whose financial affairs are above reproach. Only one man for the job.

Harry-Redknapp-524031.jpg

Yes he was set up.
    But it's not like they secretly recorded him having a private conversation with a close friend or family member.

Slagging off his employers, predecessors etc., calling Roy "Woy" FFS in order to humour some strangers

He's guilty of being an asshole. That's about it. So what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Tony Pulis England manager........****ing hell!....that England squad are doomed if they want a British manager.......doomed!!

Wider picture is that you have now decided that a journalist is seeking truth and justice. You are also certain that a man is guilty of multiple crimes because of this.

Exactly the gullible sensationalist attitude that the paper is looking for.

Kind of conflicted in this sense. The old (often bullsh*t) saying is no smoke without fire. Thing is, the smoke has been billowing away for years and years, and we just saw some massive flames.

Not saying he is or isn't, but I am saying that the suspicions were there for many long, long before yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Gotta love how the press in England constantly go after the England manager. That's holding them back big time.

The fact that they go about setting him up tells you all you need to know about the English media, manager failing is a bigger story than success.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

BtXREjBIMAAZm0B.jpg

Attacked reporter on way out. Killed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Dear fellow, perhaps you'd be able to hop off that high horse you're perched upon? Can't hear you down here.

2z5qjja.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Roberto Mancini is available :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Why walk so fast though, there must be more to it than this.

You know who would be a major coup if they could somehow convince him? Manuel Pellegrini. Currently managing in China for whatever reason (money, I'm guessing), if I were running the search I'd at least be giving a call to see.

Still, not English enough. Needs more English in the English with the English to be English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

niallo27 wrote: »

This I would agree with, the thing yesterday though far from ideal, doesn't hold up to much scrutiny and is a storm that could be weathered.

I would imagine more, damaging, revelations are on the way.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Early days so nobody really has a clue at all, even the decision makers I would guess, but looking at the early front runners, well... jaysus.

image.png

220px-Laurent_Blanc_Euro_2012_vs_Sweden_01_cropped.jpg

Would be great appointment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yes he was set up.

Unprofessional, bringing his organisation into disrepute

220px-Laurent_Blanc_Euro_2012_vs_Sweden_01_cropped.jpg

Would be great appointment .

Yeah, he can manage. But can he English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Billy86 wrote: »
    You know who would be a major coup if they could somehow convince him? Manuel Pellegrini. Currently managing in China for whatever reason (money, I'm guessing), if I were running the search I'd at least be giving a call to see.

Still, not English enough. Needs more English in the English with the English to be English.
    Not a good manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

From a personal point of view, it is very sad. The guy called this his dream job and after many times feeling he was unfairly overlooked finally got it. He must have been over the moon. Probably felt on top of the world. Straight forward qualifying group meant he was pretty much safe as houses until at least the world cup.

I saw it sad, not because he resigned, but it is totally his own fault. Most managers can claim being unlucky, poor penalty, players didn't perform, freak results, if they had just been given a bit more time things were about to turn around.

But this is totally his own fault. It is all on him. Sure he'll blame the press for the set-up, but deep down he knows that he had his hands on the dream on through his own stupidy and greed he lost it.

Hope whatever he buys with the money he made keeps his warm at night cause his head will never give him peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hopefully David Moyes is the papers' next target!

Larry White, fantastic choice

Think Mancini would be a good move too for England

CSF wrote: »
    Not a good manager.

Wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Has big Sam actually been sacked yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I reckon hoddle will get it, hope its pardew though for more comedy gold

It's an international game being England boss. He has a good record as player and coach . His win rate is very high.

''He has the nickname Le Président, which was given to him following his stint at Marseille in tribute to his leadership skills'

Would be better that Gary Neville.

cjmc wrote: »

He resigned

Yep.
    Got fired, from a canon, into the sea .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

GONZO.

67 days.

Longer than I could stay off the drink for anyway.

It's an international game being England boss. He has a good record as player and coach . His win rate is very high.

''He has the nickname Le Président, which was given to him following his stint at Marseille in tribute to his leadership skills'

Would be better that Gary Neville.

Yes yes yes, I get all that. But can he English? Some things are more important than competency, ability or merit, you know!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    He resigned

Got sacked then they resigned him. That was fast, who did he bribe this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This is nothing new and it doesn't surprise me at all. The only issue I have is that it's a media setup which is all wrong.

It's been suggested for years that there was a group of well known managers, led by the most successful one of the last 25 years, that were doing a lot of dodgy business deals.

Without the media setup, how would you propose catching these cheats out??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Not a good manager.

Wrong.
    1 league title in 3 seasons with a club like City is shocking bad. The same amount of points as Van Gaal's United. And you want to put the guy in charge of the same country whose league this was in. Lunacy.

niallo27 wrote: »

Lead with your best stuff. I simply doubt they would have held back on more substantial footage if they had it, given that what they've shown thus far has been largely unremarkable.

If that article were rewritten with only his quotes remaining, and all the authors sensationalist comments removed, there's just not much there. It's embarrassing for the FA, but it's neither any indication of any guilt on any matter, and none of it was false.

The FA obviously don't want footage of their man saying that people are getting around their restrictions all the time, but is it any surprise that this is a fact? And he makes absolutely no mention of partaking in this himself. If that's footage the telegraph had, I have no doubt they'd have shown it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jose is a busted flush I'd say he is perfect for the job.

1 league title in 3 seasons with a club like City is shocking bad. The same amount of points as Van Gaal's United. And you want to put the guy in charge of the same country whose league this was in. Lunacy.

His last season was very poor in the league, his first two were not. He also got to the CL semi in his last season, very narrowly losing out to Madrid who won the whole thing. You do also know he didn't start managing at 60 years of age, by the way?

Who would you consider to be better options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Would the FA go for someone viewed as squeaky clean now?

A jurgen klopp or a Pep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Apparently the telegraph have a list of 10. Pearson has been suspended as Derby manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Go on Duncan, twist that knife!
    Duncan Castles ‏@DuncanCastles 35m35 minutes ago
    The greatest disappointment of Sam Allardyce's swift exit is losing the opportunity to watch him implode under the pressure of poor results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Statement from The FA
    Allardyce's conduct, as reported today, was inappropriate of the England manager. He accepts he made a significant error of judgement and has apologised. However, due to the serious nature of his actions, The FA and Allardyce have mutually agreed to terminate his contract with immediate effect.

This is not a decision that was taken lightly but The FA's priority is to protect the wider interests of the game and maintain the highest standards of conduct in football. The manager of the England men's senior team is a position which must demonstrate strong leadership and show respect for the integrity of the game at all times.

Gareth Southgate will take charge of the men's senior team for the next four matches against Malta, Slovenia, Scotland and Spain whilst The FA begins its search for the new England manager.

The FA wishes Sam well in the future.

And from Sam
    Further to recent events, The FA and I have mutually agreed to part company.

"It was a great honour for me to be appointed back in July and I am deeply disappointed at this outcome.

"This afternoon, I met with Greg Clarke and Martin Glenn and offered a sincere and wholehearted apology for my actions.

"Although it was made clear during the recorded conversations that any proposed arrangements would need The FA’s full approval, I recognise I made some comments which have caused embarrassment.

"As part of today’s meeting, I was asked to clarify what I said and the context in which the conversations took place. I have co-operated fully in this regard.

"I also regret my comments with regard to other individuals.

Reads like he was pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Finishes with a 100% record, Englands most successful manager of all time.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Tomorrows story blocked?
    Kaveh Solhekol ‏@SkyKaveh 27m27 minutes ago
    Lawyers acting for another high-profile manager believe they've stopped Daily Telegraph publishing story about him in tomorrow's paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I feel bad for Sammy Lee. I saw him taking notes on one of the weekend's matches and now he's more than likely out of a job in the space of 48 hours or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement