Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QQI Level 5

• 26-09-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there, I've just started teaching a QQI level 5 Childcare module. I'm preparing an assignment brief and I was wondering what the word count should be, I have looked through my own course brief and I don't see it mentioned anywhere. I'm thinking between 800 - 1000 words but would like to tighten that figure up.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

DeeNiOg wrote: »
    Hi there, I've just started teaching a QQI level 5 Childcare module. I'm preparing an assignment brief and I was wondering what the word count should be, I have looked through my own course brief and I don't see it mentioned anywhere. I'm thinking between 800 - 1000 words but would like to tighten that figure up.

Any advice would be appreciated

I have absolutely no experience with this except when I started teaching, I subbed a lot for a Home Ec teacher who taught childcare and they had an assignment of 250-350 words. Is there anything in the curriculum? I think 500 words would be max for these students considering you have a wide range of ages and abilities - i.e. students after the leaving but more importantly people returning to education after many years and giving them an essay of 1000 words might throw them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Assignments that you set are flexible to the extent that you can set the parameters based on the Module Descriptor and your knowledge of the students. I'd start small; maybe 500/600 words. You might think they can handle more.

Find out who taught the module last year and ask them what assignments they set. You could also try to get a hold of last years Tutor Pack to check the past exam and modules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

I dont know the module but id work out how many assignments are needed for the module and how many modules overall your students must complete. 1000 words sounds high .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DeeNiOg

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it, I'll take advice on board and aim for around 550, kind of relieved because I was thinking 800-1000 was quite high but then was worried I would set it too low. Feeling relieved, Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

DeeNiOg wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it, I'll take advice on board and aim for around 550, kind of relieved because I was thinking 800-1000 was quite high but then was worried I would set it too low. Feeling relieved, Thanks again

You may even have to set it lower depending on your students. You can test them with the 550 first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DeeNiOg

Yes you could be right, for most of them it's their first module and are completely new to childcare, 500 might be enough.

Advertisement