Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel prices... HOSTEL prices?!?

Options
  • 27-09-2016 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭

So I was booking a hotel for a week stay in Amsterdam yesterday and was getting around €130 a night which I thought was pretty steep... (I could get a lot for the €800 that I'd have to spend, such as a new 55" TV!! ... I'm more used to staying in cheap accommodation in South East Asia or South America), but I wanted a hotel and didn't want a hostel this time around so stuck with it.

Anyway I just thought I'd compare prices in Dublin. Yes I'd heard the rumours about Dublin being expensive but seriously, average prices for anywhere with a semi-decent review in the city centre were coming in around €200 a night?!?

Even a dodgy hostel near Connolly station is charging €90 for one bed in a 20-bed dorm.

Are all these backpackers loaded?!? How long have prices been like this? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We're back baby!

I've never seen hotel prices as bad to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Would you try air b&b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

We can increase the vat back up so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Half the rooms full with people with no houses not helping the high rates being charged, I agree put the vat back up as someone is taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Could this be a specific issue due to the upcoming swarm of Mayo people on Saturday for the All Ireland replay?
    What specific dates are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

enda1 wrote: »
    Could this be a specific issue due to the upcoming swarm of Mayo people on Saturday for the All Ireland replay?
    What specific dates are you talking about?

Dublin's dear all the time. Severe lack of supply and the ultra-low end is full of corpo emergency cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mrcheez wrote: »
    So I was booking a hotel for a week stay in Amsterdam yesterday and was getting around €130 a night which I thought was pretty steep... (I could get a lot for the €800 that I'd have to spend, such as a new 55" TV!! ... I'm more used to staying in cheap accommodation in South East Asia or South America), but I wanted a hotel and didn't want a hostel this time around so stuck with it.

Anyway I just thought I'd compare prices in Dublin. Yes I'd heard the rumours about Dublin being expensive but seriously, average prices for anywhere with a semi-decent review in the city centre were coming in around €200 a night?!?

Even a dodgy hostel near Connolly station is charging €90 for one bed in a 20-bed dorm.

How far out are you looking? Got a room for 70 in Dublin 2 in December in a half decent hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Del2005 wrote: »
    How far out are you looking? Got a room for 70 in Dublin 2 in December in a half decent hotel.

Ah I live in Dublin, was just curious about how the prices here compare to Amsterdam (which now seems reasonable in comparison!)

Dates were middle of the week around the middle of October and I was comparing city centre Dublin to city centre Amsterdam.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Supply and demand, high supply shortage in Dublin at the moment, both permanent and temporary.

A decent starting point for hotel prices around Europe would be around 80-90 and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

The Generator at Smithfield should have dorm beds for about 30 EUR. I stayed in the Generator in Hamburg once and it's not too bad. The Maldron at Smithfield goes as low as 116 EUR on weekdays for a double room. If you go to pages like hotels.com or expedia.ie you probably get a double room ensuite below 100 EUR in Dublin. Depending on the day. If Bruce Springsteen or the Mayo football team are in town it might be more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Dates were middle of the week around the middle of October and I was comparing city centre Dublin to city centre Amsterdam.

Sure that's only next week! :pac:

Well, a few weeks away, but you'd need to be booking well in advance to get a decent price in one of Europe's major destinations, especially mid-week when you've got all the business travellers taking up space.

I've just looked for rooms in January and there's plenty available at <50€/nt (twin).

As a long-emigrated Dub, I see the city with different eyes to my family and friends who've stayed put. A couple of weekends ago, I met up with my university class mates for an anniversary reunion. I had the rather surreal experience of being the only Dub amongst many who wasn't surprised to see the city teeming with life at 3am. (They've all grown up and got sensible and lead wholesome family lives :D)

you'd need to be booking well in advance to get a decent price in one of Europe's major destinations

This seems to be the case alright, dates in February seem a good bit cheaper, although still around the €90-€130 mark.

Must be a supply and demand thing as when I was in Japan in May I could book a hotel a few days in advance and get same price as if booking a few months earlier. Similar in South Africa where I'd typically book a room the night before arriving for same price as norm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hotels in Dublin are at over 90 percent occupied at the moment no incentive for discounts

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

Ceder house €4.50 plus dinner & breakfast 💉💊🚔🚑

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Sorry for bring up this old thread. If you thought hotel prices were bad back in 2016 , they have seriously gone mental in 2019 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Glebee wrote: »
    Sorry for bring up this old thread. If you thought hotel prices were bad back in 2016 , they have seriously gone mental in 2019 imo.

The government paying hundreds of millions a year to hotel owners for rooms taking a lot of supply out and increasing prices.

Glebee wrote: »

Yeah? How much of an increase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Looking for a hotel in Dublin for tomorrow night 200-300 for one person ??
    Is this another signal things are out of control ?
    In Dublin anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

LuasSimon wrote: »
    In Dublin anyways

There are prices out there for single bed in a 20 person dorm around 90 euro... Fcuking maddness... The boom is back baby. Im seriously thinking of sleeping in the car overnight if I need to stay in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eds

LuasSimon wrote: »
    In Dublin anyways

Try the aloft, €160 for a double. 15 minute walk to Stephens green Max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's going to get worse. AirB&B is being cracked down on so that avenue will be curtailed all in all it's a good time to own a hotel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Always the option of the original AirBnB, the spare room in someone's house, many with a private bathroom. Various prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The same supply problems that existed in 2016 exist now - the large quantity of new hotel rooms being built is only just starting to come on-stream now; some hotels are currently closed during expansion work (Grafton Capital and the Montclare); and a huge amount of low-end rooms are either block booked for emergency accommodation or the entire hotel is taken over permanently - Bram Stoker, Sunnybank, Viking Lodge, Lynams, Abberly Court, Tallaght Cross and more.

I would guess that the increased number of rooms from expansions and the few new that have opened already has only kept up with the reductions from temporary closures and emergency accomodation

By next summer there should be a decent number of new hotels or reopened hotels - the Sheraton Coombe, the Moxy, the old Tramco hotel, the McKillen hotel on North Wall Quay - as well as most of the refurb closures finished. Still need a replacement for the low-end rooms that have been taken out of the system though.

Also - there are a huge number of student accomodation projects underway, most of which will be rented out in the summer. This might actually provide that low end replacement; but only June-August.

Advertisement