Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey found upstairs bedrooms not habitable

Options
  • 27-09-2016 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

We are in the process of buying a home, had a surveyor in recently and he found the two upstairs rooms to not comply with 'habitable' bedroom standards because the bottom edges of the velux windows are not close enough to the floor. They therefore do not count as bedrooms according to regulations. We are still waiting for the report so we'll be more sure then but wanted to see if anyone has advice on how to go about it. The house was advertised as a 4bed, but if the two upstairs rooms aren't really bedrooms, but only attic rooms, that could impact the resell value. The surveyor said it could be fixed easily (by building a step for example) but I still feel quite worried about what I could be getting myself into. Anyone has had a similar experience? Is it common to find inaccuracies in what the daft ad says and what it really is like this? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If not corrected before sale, your bank may be entirely unwilling to lend - a 2 bed property as it has now become is not going to be worth the same as a 4 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

Go back to the vendor with the survey report and ask that they either remedy the situation with the easy fix as suggested by the surveyor or that they reduce the selling price accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi there,

We are in the process of buying a home, had a surveyor in recently and he found the two upstairs rooms to not comply with 'habitable' bedroom standards because the bottom edges of the velux windows are not close enough to the floor. They therefore do not count as bedrooms according to regulations. We are still waiting for the report so we'll be more sure then but wanted to see if anyone has advice on how to go about it. The house was advertised as a 4bed, but if the two upstairs rooms aren't really bedrooms, but only attic rooms, that could impact the resell value. The surveyor said it could be fixed easily (by building a step for example) but I still feel quite worried about what I could be getting myself into. Anyone has had a similar experience? Is it common to find inaccuracies in what the daft ad says and what it really is like this? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Might need to walk away from that one

That or get the vendor to

a) sell as a 2 bed
    b) make the rooms adhere to code

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A bank's valuer may not spot this. But either way if you buy it, it becomes your problem. Now that you're aware of this issue, it would be illegal for you to misrespresent this property as a 4-bed if you were to try and sell it on.

Which also technically means that your mortgage application may be invalid if you don't disclose this to the bank.

Give the estate agent a copy of the surveyor's report. I would be inclined to just drop your offer by 15-20%. If the vendor goes and puts a fix in, it'll be a shoddy minimum-cost effort. You'll have to redo it when you move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How close to the floor must the base of the velux windows be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Is the Surveyor using current building regulations or using the regulations which were in place when the Velux windows were installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

lawred2 wrote: »
    How close to the floor must the base of the velux windows be?

They have to be between 600mm and 1100mm above floor level. However if they're above 1100mm above floor level, it's quite likely they're also more than 1700mm from the eaves of the roof measured along the slope of the roof, which means building a step internally still may not make them fully comply.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    Is the Surveyor using current building regulations or using the regulations which were in place when the Velux windows were installed?

This is the key point. The rooms likely can't be classed as habitable rooms by existing regulations, however they need only comply with the regulations applicable at the time of construction. However, given that it's concerning fire safety, any and all measures to bring them into compliance should be undertaken.

Find out when the conversion was carried out and request certification for compliance with building regulations for the works. The responses to that will determine what needs to be done. If the estate agent is classing them as bedrooms, I'd say they would have checked themselves to make sure they could be classed as bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Penn wrote: »
    If the estate agent is classing them as bedrooms, I'd say they would have checked themselves to make sure they could be classed as bedrooms.

Unless the new regulator powers cover this the Estate Agent was allowed to rely on the assurances given by the selling owner, otherwise they could be sued by a new owner for a non-visible fault.
    They are to matchmake and shop-front the property they are professional sellers, you will see where conversions are mentioned there may be a qualification disguised in the description.

OP the old adage of the day you buy is the day you sell holds true here so even with a cert. you should factor the 'uncertainty reaction factor' into your offer price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 stevecarlos

Thank you so much everybody for these answers - i have found all of them to be really helpful. We just got the written report from the surveyor where he outlines this point, I will not speak to the real estate agent and investigate further. In any case, we are a little turned off by the place by this point because of this unexpected surprise so we'll have to think about whether we walk away all together even before seeing if there could be a fix.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

foggy_lad wrote: »

TGD Part B hasn't been altered since 2006 and IIRC even the older regs before that still contained the same dimension requirements.
    The bottom of the window opening should be
    not more than 1100 mm and not less than 800
    mm (600 mm in the case of a rooflight) above the
    floor, immediately inside or beneath the window
    or rooflight. As an exception to the general
    guidance in TGD K (Stairways, Ladders, Ramps
    and Guards) that guarding be provided for any
    window, the cill of which is less than 800 mm in
    height above floor level, guarding should not be
    provided to a rooflight opening provided in
    compliance with this paragraph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

I walked away from one of these last year. No idea how the development got through planning etc, but several of the neighbours had altered the windows. The vendor was in a chain, and was willing to drop the price to cover a fix, but it wasn't worth it to me.

She subsequently did the most basic fix - installed another lower velux beneath the original one, and it looks absolutely looks awful. But it's back on the market again, for 10k above the agreed price last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Hi there,

We are in the process of buying a home, had a surveyor in recently and he found the two upstairs rooms to not comply with 'habitable' bedroom standards because the bottom edges of the velux windows are not close enough to the floor. They therefore do not count as bedrooms according to regulations. We are still waiting for the report so we'll be more sure then but wanted to see if anyone has advice on how to go about it. The house was advertised as a 4bed, but if the two upstairs rooms aren't really bedrooms, but only attic rooms, that could impact the resell value.

The surveyor said it could be fixed easily (by building a step for example) but I still feel quite worried about what I could be getting myself into. Anyone has had a similar experience? Is it common to find inaccuracies in what the daft ad says and what it really is like this? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm not a development expert, but I do have a knowledge of words, psychology and semantics.

All I'm picking up here is anger and frustration.

Not legalese, or logic.

If you're an investor, do the logic/ maths, ie, the step re mkt buyers, re cost, re whatever. But I'm not getting that sense.

If you're not...well, I dunno where you're coming from. If it's a home, it's a home. If it's badly built, move on. Re-sale value is wisely prudent, but I'm not picking up 'the house is sinking, the asbestos/ damp is rising, the local developments are grating, the local crime is rising, or anything like it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ArtSmart wrote: »
    I'm not a development expert, but I do have a knowledge of words, psychology and semantics.

All I'm picking up here is anger and frustration.

Not legalese, or logic.

If you're an investor, do the logic/ maths, ie, the step re mkt buyers, re cost, re whatever. But I'm not getting that sense.

If you're not...well, I dunno where you're coming from.

The steps can be found in many homes in order to make the attic space comply. Including some top of the market homes in Clontarf. It's not the best in the worlds, but it is acceptable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kceire wrote: »
    The steps can be found in many homes in order to make the attic space comply. Including some top of the market homes in Clontarf. It's not the best in the worlds, but it is acceptable.
    +1
    20€ in woodies for timber, a few screws and you have step! This noncompliance is about the height of Cill for a 'means of escape'

Advertisement