Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Vs Reps Ryder Jug 2016

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What a great day out :D Mostly capped off by how fantastic a golfer that Macker is. I know we all laughed and sneered him last year when he was running away with the golfer of the year trophy early on, but by God he is a right good golfer. And a total gentleman to boot.

Before I get into the nitty gritty of how brilliantly we played, I just want to say a couple of things first. Big thank to you to Captain Golfgraffix for his organisation of the team and for the effort he put into preparing every single one of us for this event. McGinley didn't do half the preparation GG did. He couldnt have. It was an inspired decision putting myself and Macker together. 2 steady golfers together and I think our combination worked quite well. I was there to scare the opposition by hitting every single fairway (except the first) and Macker was there to scare the opposition with his ridiculous short game. Also big thank you to Cathal for the printed course guides and for being my chauffeur of course ;)

Now onto the match itself.

We dove tailed really well as a pair. He holed a great 8 footer on the first for a half, I birdied the 2nd for a win. After hitting a super drive to leave me just 80 yards to the green, I ignored captains orders on took on the flag to leave myself an 8 footer up the hill which I rammed home. However, I 3-putted the 3rd to lose it and then I decided to see how good a golfer Macker really was when I vacated him for the next 6 holes...... well he gave me a masterclass. He won the 4th with ease and though we lost the 5th, He turned to me after he halved the 6th " You know, if we play some steady golf, make a few pars, we'll beat these guys ".

On the 7th hole he was short of the drain in 2 and he called upon all the supreme skills he clearly honed on the pitch and putt course all those years ago. Chipping from the rough, he dribbled this ball along the ground and as it approached the drain it took what appeared to most other golfers a fortuitous bounce over the ditch and stopped just a few short yards past the drain.

" GREAT JUDGMENT " I cried. Our opposition laughed, but knowing what I knew about Macker, it couldnt have been anything else surely.

"Great Judgment? We have another word for someone like that..... Jammy Bastard", our opposition said to me afterwards.

After he holed a 15 footer to then win the hole he let me down and apologised to the lads. "I was so Jammy back there crossing the drain". It must be an eastern thing....

He then went on to win 8 and 9 all by himself. He 2 putted from 40 yards off the green on 8 - his first putt rolled up to 6 feet. On the 9th, he was the only man on the green and didnt even have to putt though he lipped out for his birdie anyways.

3 up after 9, like all great champions I decided that this was my moment to reach forward and grasp all the glory. With my partner taking a break, I spanked my drive down the middle and from 125 yards, punched an 8 iron into 15 feet. 4 up after 10. On the 11th, both myself and Macker hit the green and both narrowly missed our birdies, par was good enough for the win.... so 5up.

On the 12th our opposition holed a magnificent 25 footer for a win with myself and macker both with putts for a half but on 13, Macker showed his class once again. We both had putts for par for a win. Mine was from 5 feet and Macker from 20 feet..... downhill...... across the slope..... it was NEVER going anywhere else. He said the putt was easy because he knew I was never going to miss mine. There was no pressure on him ;)

The 14th was all about me. I aint gonna lie, I was imperious! I hit a superb drive. My longest of the day. In fact it might have been my longest of the year. 282 yards on measurement, left half of the fairway. I considered my options with the second shot, but having seen Macker perform all sorts of chip and run shots all day long, I was inspired. From about 50 yards to go, I took out my 8 iron, carried it in the air for about 10 yards and the ball, bounced and ran to 8 feet passed the hole. Just a magnificent pitch & run shot. It was incredibly close to going in for a 2.... The opposition had the hole surrounded in 4 shots each and 2 putts would have been enough for me, but I wanted the glory. Putt was downhill, little break from right to left, I aimed the putt, just outside the right edge on a nice pace. She took the break beautifully and dropped dead centre. Shake hands time and that was that.

We played the next 4 holes in near to total darkness. We actually played the last 2 holes as a 6-ball when the 2-ball behind us joined us, just to try and get it in.

What a really great day! If there wasn't some group a few groups ahead of us that somehow lost, was it, 4 holes ? 5 holes ? and slowed the whole game down it would have been even better ;)

Food was lovely afterwards, the €7.95 cheesecake was truly something to behold.

Thanks again everyone for the great day out and it was just super to bring home the jug in such a fashion. Technodub, if you're reading this...... loser, loser, loser.... lol.

Little known fact - I have played 3 times in the Ryder Jug and all 3 times, we have won or retained the Jug. I have never been on a losing Ryder Jug team. Just something for next years captain should I fail to qualify on merit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭doublecross

Lads, I really enjoyed the whole Jug experience. From the practice day to the nerves on the first tee. Thanks to GolfGraffix for making the whole thing a well organised and enjoyable day.

I was fairly annoyed with how I played on the day, especially on the front 9 but thank God roadrunner was on fire. Kept it going till the end but we just couldn't hole a putt of note. But looking back at it now we just came up against two guys that are very solid high handicap players that have a great touch on the green. I had 1 bird, 8 pars, 5 bogeys and 4 scratches. Not one of the pars/bogeys were good enough to win the hole :(

I'm predicting roadrunner for GOTY next year given how well he played with his new irons last Saturday. I'd say at least 36 points scored on the day. One of our opponents commented to me on how good his ball striking was.

Nice touch from ballyK and Tigerwoods to come out and support us. Cheers lads.

The slow play was nothing to do with us. We were at least 3 holes clear. We had the clubs put away and dinner eaten before the group behind us finished.

Roll on next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It's okay doublecross, we know well who it was ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Lads, I really enjoyed the whole Jug experience..

Cheers Doublecross. Really enjoyed the round and run up to it. We all appreciated that you even made it to the first tee at all after your night's ordeal and lack of sleep! That we were actually 2 up at one point against these guys was serious. We had to take risks to even half the holes and keeping up that pace for the full 18 was never going to be easy. These guys were deadly on the greens. Beginning to appreciate how speith's competitors must feel!

GG said to us that the course was running very difficult and suggested "par's wont loose holes". On the first hole I hit a perfect hybrid off the tee to left side with a nice view of green. Absolute belter of a 9i in to probably 10 ft. Hit a good putt, it missed, but that happens. I couldn't have played the hole better. We still walked over to the second tee 1 down right off the bat. We knew immediately it was going to be tough. Just to add that it was a very good natured match and there was some great craic in the bar afterwards.

Advertisement