Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice Period on probation

Options
  • 27-09-2016 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi lads and ladies

So I'm currently on probation for a job I started around 5 months ago. I went straight into it out of college .To make a long story short, the job is taking a severe toll on my mental health. It's a good job, with a generous salary and benefit scheme, and I was lucky to get it quite frankly. That's why I've persevered for the last few months, trying to make it work. But it's gotten to a point where I have to make a choice between my career and my well being. I've never felt this poorly before and without meaning to be dramatic I'm worried I may have already done long term damage to myself.

So as you can imagine I want to get out as soon as possible . My contract says I'm on probation for the first 6 months, but it also specifies a 1 month notice period during this time. Can my employer force me to serve this? Are there potential legal ramifications if I refuse? I already know that doing this could damage my career prospects, I'm more concerned about the legal end of things at the minute.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Atomicjuicer0

Tell them now, get a doctor's note and walk out the door.

Youre on probation so they owe you nothing.

But if you can handle reduced load then try hang on another week or two after informing them. They might reduce their expectations once you inform them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

You are legally required to give 7 days written notice if you've worked for the company for longer than 13 weeks.

Advertisement