Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter bag when cycling - suggestions

Options
  • 27-09-2016 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

I know, yet another thread about this subject and I read it all, but my issue is different.

At the moment, I use as a "commuter bag" something that is surely classified as a "carry-on" by airliners, it's a wheely bag from IKEA called UPPTÄCKA.
    It's bulky, slightly heavy and it fits in my bike rear basket, and it's kept in place by a cargo net.

Considering that I always need to carry everything with me (trousers, shirt, tie, shoes/boots, towel, shower gel, extra clothes for the return... Plus, laptop, charger, mouse, notepad, my lunch that usually requires 2 tupperware, extra bits and pieces. So yes, a lot of stuff, and I can't leave nothing behind.

Does any of you, more experienced commuters, are aware of a better solution for my conumdrum ?

One can argue, that "don't fix if ain't broken", since the current bag does indeed takes care of all my needs, but I would prefer something lighter and less bulky.
    This bag is 40L, in the past I tried other (smaller) bags and 25/30-ish L, don't have enough space, so it seems 40L, is really the bare minimum :\

Any suggestions?

Again, I always need to carry everything, so leave items A,B,C in place Z doesn't work.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Do you have to carry a bag on your back? have you considered panniers?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

07Lapierre wrote: »

The few times I need to carry the bag, I use the handle and the wheels, since is too heavy to carry on my back (unless is only for a few minutes).

I considered panniers, but I don't trust leaving the panniers in my bicycle, also it's more difficult to carry two panniers rather just one single (bulky) bag.

For instance, sometimes one my way home, I drop by the local post office, and it's easier, to take the bag with me, rather take two panniers with me. I know it's just for a few minutes, but you never know if there're some kids waiting to take your precious possessions (even if it's just dirty clothes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

40L? :eek:

Would you think of getting a cargo bike?

Chuchote wrote: »
    40L? :eek:

Would you think of getting a cargo bike?

I did indeed, but it's too expensive, and hard to park since you can't just use a typical bike rack you find around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that's a lot of stuff, you really can't leave any of it in work?
    extra clothes for the return

these are for cycling home? could you not wear the same gear you cycled to work in?

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    that's a lot of stuff, you really can't leave any of it in work?

these are for cycling home? could you not wear the same gear you cycled to work in?

No, I can't really leave anything in work.

When I get to my destination in the morning, I'm sweating and I've a shower, so for the return I've another t-shirt to wear. I say clothes, but it's really just one extra t-shirt, since the shorts from the morning are fine.

No, I can't really leave anything in work.

Why not?

Why not?

I'm an IT consultant, so 99% of the time, I'm not at the office, and it's not ideal to pass by the company and drop whatever I don't need with me in that day, and then head over to today's workplace.

So, imagine my company is in Adelaide Road, and today I need to be in Christchurch, and tomorrow I would be in Islandbridge. At the end of the day, I prefer to head home, rather go back, get my stuff and start the return commute.

In the past I did precisely that (back and forth) and it's a huge waste of time.

I'm an IT consultant, so 99% of the time, I'm not at the office, and it's not ideal to pass by the company and drop whatever I don't need with me in that day, and then head over to today's workplace.

So, imagine my company is in Adelaide Road, and today I need to be in Christchurch, and tomorrow I would be in Islandbridge. At the end of the day, I prefer to head home, rather go back, get my stuff and start the return commute.

In the past I did precisely that (back and forth) and it's a huge waste of time.

Ah I see...well fair play for carrying all that gear on your back every day!
    I think you should invest in a good set of panniers. I think there the best option.

As for making the odd stop at the post office on your way home...risk it!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Ortlieb back roller panniers are probably my best ever cycling purchase, you won't go back to rucksacks. If you're in Dublin, Cycleways have a good selection and are (well were a few months back) cheaper than anywhere online.

• Advertisement

@bluestrattos I sometimes make a similar-ish journey, going in to the National Library or Pearse Street library and bringing laptop, tablet, phone, charger and cable. And rain gear in winter, and a lurid car-frightener of a gilet at all times; and from today a helmet, having finally bought a MIPS one.

Where are you cycling from? Do you really need to wear cycling gear and shower and change? If you're ambling along rather than racing, you shouldn't have to shower and change unless it's quite a long cycle.

Your lunch sounds rather palatial; would one Tupperware and one bidon with a homemade smoothie do the job?

@colm18 are these the Ortlieb panners? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-back-roller-classic-panniers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

colm18 wrote: »
    Ortlieb back roller panniers are probably my best ever cycling purchase, you won't go back to rucksacks. If you're in Dublin, Cycleways have a good selection and are (well were a few months back) cheaper than anywhere online.

Totally agree on Ortlieb back roller classics. Bought my pair 4 years ago, commuted daily with them for three years, they never let a drop of water or dust in and are still in perfect nick. My OH bought a set of Altura bags at the same time as I bought my Ortliebs - the Altura were never 100% waterproof, some of the clips & ties eventually failed, and they were replaced with a pair of Ortliebs last year.

Also agree re. Cycleways, they were cheaper for Ortliebs than any online supplier I could find and if you want a specific colour they can order it in for you if you're willing to wait the additional week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I did indeed, but it's too expensive, and hard to park since you can't just use a typical bike rack you find around town.

No they're not. Park in town all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Perhaps get a mix of panniers. Ortlieb for the clothes and a Vaude for the laptop? Thats what I use for the Winter months - in the summer I get away with just the Vaude bag for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Second (third fourth?) the Ortlieb Back Roller classics, I got a Tubus rack with mine as it's built to suit and is steel so no worries taking 40L.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If you want to continue carrying unfeasible amount of stuff, a trailer is a cheap option (not as cheap as panniers, but much cheaper than a cargo bike). I use this all the time:

http://bikehod.com/

You can take the arm off when you get into work and it'll sit nicely in a corner, taking up as much room as a large suitcase. I do the weekly shopping with mine, as well as any other job that requires carrying bulky things or lots of heavy things.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    If you want to continue carrying unfeasible amount of stuff, a trailer is a cheap option (not as cheap as panniers, but much cheaper than a cargo bike). I use this all the time:

http://bikehod.com/

You can take the arm off when you get into work and it'll sit nicely in a corner, taking up as much room as a large suitcase. I do the weekly shopping with mine, as well as any other job that requires carrying bulky things or lots of heavy things.

Do you know if the bags for the "Bike-Hod" and "Bike-Hod Classic" are the same size? Roughly how many liters?
    Not much information on the website http://bikehod.com/bike-hod/index.html

poochiem wrote: »
    Second (third fourth?) the Ortlieb Back Roller classics, I got a Tubus rack with mine as it's built to suit and is steel so no worries taking 40L.
    Ditto for Vaude. Have Tubus rack as well works well for both Vaude and Ortlieb. All German brands. :D

Do you know if the bags for the "Bike-Hod" and "Bike-Hod Classic" are the same size? Roughly how many liters?
    Not much information on the website http://bikehod.com/bike-hod/index.html

The design has changed a bit since I got mine, but from the pictures the capacity looks about the same. My bag is the one with the red piping (which is now the cheap one, I see). It's a fine bag. I doubt the other is much better, though probably more attractive.

I measured the bag, and the main bit is about 38cm x 30cm x 65cm, which gives you about 75 litres. However, you can "overtop" the 65cm height by quite a bit and the lid will hold it in. There are also two side pockets on the bag which easily hold a sliced pan, so they're pretty big too. And you can strap things to the frame too. I've carried huge amounts of stuff on it.

E.g. my last trip to the dump:
    397846.jpg

Thanks for all the input.
    It seems panniers are something to look into. Before I went with Basket+bulky bag combo, I looked into the panniers bag, guess I'll have to check Santa's list :)

Regarding the trailer, that's a bit too much, at least for what I've in mind, but worth looking into, if I need to carry more stuff without getting a cargo bike.

• Advertisement

I would tend to carry laptop etc in an Altura bag that has a stiffened back for support plus a padded removable inner bag; it's got luminescent strips. It kind of locks on when you clip it to the bike and has a flap that zips down over the clips to make it into a shoulder bag when you take it off the bike; I think this is it

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Urban-Dryline-Briefcase-15-Pannier-2016_69316.htm

Probably too girly for Bluestrattos, but I carry other stuff in a Reisenthel bike bag like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KLICKfix-Reisenthel-basket-folklore-black/dp/B01LE3A40M/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1475007882&sr=8-16&keywords=reisenthel+bike+basket

though the price seems to have doubled since I got it. Heavy enough to carry when full - and it holds a good few days' shopping at a time - but you can carry it.

Yeah, I think I'd recommend carrying laptops in a bag on your person. Vibrations can really damage them. I often use a netbook for work and it fits in my extra-small messenger bag.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'd recommend carrying laptops in a bag on your person. Vibrations can really damage them. I often use a netbook for work and it fits in my extra-small messenger bag.

Ah no, mine is a pannier - but well secured and padded - when on the bike, and becomes a shoulder bag when you take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Friend of mine carries about the same in the larger Carradice Classic range. I think it's the Camper Longflap, and he's fitted with a shoulder strap and Bagman on the seatpost, so when he gets to work, he just throws it up on his shoulder, goes in and changes. Never complained about an issue with the laptop in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Is there a way to avoid bringing the laptop in and out? Get a 2nd laptop for home perhaps? Stick everything into the cloud?

OldBean wrote: »
    Friend of mine carries about the same in the larger Carradice Classic range. I think it's the Camper Longflap, and he's fitted with a shoulder strap and Bagman on the seatpost, so when he gets to work, he just throws it up on his shoulder, goes in and changes. Never complained about an issue with the laptop in there.

I have a couple of those cotton duck Carradice bags, and it's only now, perhaps 30 years later that they're starting to get a big holey in the bottom. But I'd choose the specifically designed Altura for carrying 'lectronics: better padding, better stiffening, lighter, and most importantly a more secure clip (you have to press the button firmly down to get the bag off the carrier).

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I use one of these.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPXHIVIZDP/planet-x-hi-viz-daypack

It's currently out of stock at the moment but it's a class bag for the price. i use the same bag as a Triathlon transition bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I have a Union34 seatpost mounted back pack
    s-l400.jpg

It is 30L so on the small side of your requirements

The also do similar backpack style panniers for a standard rack that go up to 40L
    s-l400.jpg

and a 25L laptop bag for panniers
    s-l400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In the scheme of the load, probably not much of a saving, but I decant my shampoo and soap into the travel bottles you get in the likes of dealz. They're steeper, but there's also the sub 100ml deodorants. Towel wise, the micro fibre ones are smaller than a normal one.

Apart from that, my only suggestion is to ditch the spare cycle clothes. Either suck up the grossness of putting on wet gear, or if you're using shower facilties at these places, is there defo no where to dry wet gear?

Only other thing I can offer is to learn how to roll the work clothes/ pack jocks and socks in shoes etc.

I'd also vote panniers - have one for the low value stuff/ dirty clothes/ empty lunch boxes and chance that one left outside for the occasional stops and only bring the one in with the laptop/ important stuff. You might get away without the shower without carrying the big back pack as well?

Advertisement