Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice Period on probation

Options
  • 27-09-2016 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi lads and ladies

So I'm currently on probation for a job I started around 5 months ago. I went straight into it out of college .To make a long story short, the job is taking a severe toll on my mental health. It's a good job, with a generous salary and benefit scheme, and I was lucky to get it quite frankly. That's why I've persevered for the last few months, trying to make it work. But it's gotten to a point where I have to make a choice between my career and my well being. I've never felt this poorly before and without meaning to be dramatic I'm worried I may have already done long term damage to myself.

So as you can imagine I want to get out as soon as possible . My contract says I'm on probation for the first 6 months, but it also specifies a 1 month notice period during this time. Can my employer force me to serve this? Are there potential legal ramifications if I refuse? I already know that doing this could damage my career prospects, I'm more concerned about the legal end of things at the minute.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Firstly, your mental health and well being trumps all. If you're unfit to do your job, then all the money and benefits in the world are worthless. If I were you, I'd seek legal advice if necessary and if the company you work for has an HR department, I would seek advice there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP have you been to the doctor if you're feeling that unwell? Is it just your mental health or bodily health too? Also have you talked to anyone in the workplace like your manager? They may not realise the work is too much for you if you haven't talked to them.

I'd say have a chat about it with work and see if there are any supports available to you before handing in any notice. Also make sure to get to your GP for their help on it aswell - no need or point in trying to do it all on your own.

In regards the notice period - if it's in the contract, then yes a months notice would be required. However if your GP thinks that it may affect your health, then they may be able to give you a cert to use for part of this time. Also you could use any holiday days accrued to shorten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

I think you should have a closer look at your contract. Generally in the probation period the notice by employer or employee is less (in my experience 1 or 2 weeks). However the real issue is your health and wellbeing, if you feel it's best for you I would advise getting a doctor to first hear your situation and then if right sign you off for the notice period. Your wellbeing is more important than any job. You've only left college you have years of working ahead of you, this is just a bump in starting your career. This company is clearly not the right for you. Best of luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to visit your GP before making any decisions.

If this job is making you sick, then it's likely that other jobs will, too. So you need find treatments or ways to manage your wellness, and your doctor is best placed to advise if this is while you have a job, or if you do need time off.

Advertisement