Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anniversary Mass

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The entire mass is being offered for the person, it is very much about the person.

Anyone I've been to have involved nothing more than a shout out during the normal mass.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Anyone I've been to have involved nothing more than a shout out during the normal mass.

You aren't getting it, the mass is said as normal but the announcement means that particular mass is being said for the person who the mass is offered for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You aren't getting it, the mass is said as normal but the announcement means that particular mass is being said for the person who the mass is offered for.

So if my name is mentioned on the radio does that mean that the entire show is devoted to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Well... if they mentioned it by saying "This show is dedicated to Kylith" it would be? A Mass is usually offered with a specific intention though (if I recall correctly), rather than being dedicated to someone. So the intention would most likely be 'for the repose of the soul of xxx'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I've heard about 5 or 6 people mentioned in a single mass. It's not all about that person as much as we maybe like to think it is. The priest is just doing his normal mass and throwing in the names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

pilly wrote: »
    I've heard about 5 or 6 people mentioned in a single mass. It's not all about that person as much as we maybe like to think it is. The priest is just doing his normal mass and throwing in the names.

Yeh to be honest the actual mass isn't in any way personal or special its just as mass with a mention of the deceased and and ask that those in attendance pray their should so nothing too unique there.

I think though if the family or that specifically invite you or notify you that its on then out of respect to them and just a bit of courtesy go along if not then i don't see the harm in letting it slide to be honest

Advertisement