Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People blocking public parking with cones

Options
  • 27-09-2016 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭

I am seeing ever more people in parts of Tralee blocking public street parking spaces with traffic cones.

I have attached some recent photos from Strand street.

Some of these houses have their own driveways to park their cars but are still blocking the space outside their house with a cone.

I also wonder where they got the cones.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Just move the cones. I lift cones off the road all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

irish_goat wrote: »
    Just move the cones. I lift cones off the road all the time.

I have no problem doing that. My parents in their 70s would never dare. It is really for the Council to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

embraer170 wrote: »
    I have no problem doing that. My parents in their 70s would never dare. It is really for the Council to do something about it.

Why do your parents in their 70's want to park in front of people's houses?

dobman88 wrote: »

Why should the reason matter if it's a public road and public street parking?

Lift them and move them somewhere else. They'll give up if the cones constantly go missing.

• Advertisement

Why should the reason matter if it's a public road and public street parking?

Maybe the people that live there have more than one car so block the space for themselves?

Not seeing a problem with that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

maybe people are tired of others parking in a way that blocks them from entering/leaving their driveway.
    some people are very thoughtless when parking.

maybe people are tired of others parking in a way that blocks them from entering/leaving their driveway.

Except that the cones aren't even near the driveway.

Look at the photos, none of the cones are in front of driveways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

They're all just expecting really important large deliveries. . .

• Advertisement

Maybe the people that live there have more than one car so block the space for themselves?

Do people own the space in front of their houses? Who pays to take care of it?

If I break my leg because of a pothole there, should my insurance company be chasing the council or the homeowner?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Except that the cones aren't even near the driveway.

The houses don't have driveways which I presume is the issue

Having to park far away form your house would be frustrating I imagine. It doesn't make the cones right or make it a legal issue but I can understand why people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They are claiming ownership of the public road outside their house as if it were their own property which they have no right to, simply move the cones. If your buying a house and require additional parking spaces but a house with enough spaces.

The Skoda Octavia parked on the path in picture 1 should be reported to the Gardaí for obstructing the footpath

Riskymove wrote: »
    The houses don't have driveways which I presume is the issue

Having to park far away form your house would be frustrating I imagine. It doesn't make the cones right or make it a legal issue but I can understand why people do it.

Next time I am out I will take a few photos of houses with driveways doing the same.

There is no excuse for the privatisation of public space. What bugs me is that it used be one person doing it, but it has spread like mad in recent months. If there is a problem with abuse (people working for example), the locals should lobby for residential disc parking... but they don't want that for other reasons.

Why are you getting so worked up over this? What's the actual issue you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Ring the council and get them to come along and lift all the cones. You can't reserve part of a public road for yourself, for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Why do your parents in their 70's want to park in front of people's houses?on a public road?

FYP

Why do people with a sense of entitlement feel they own a part of a public road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Probably because they want to stop the car and get out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I have a feeling there's no paid parking there and it's being done by residents to stop people parking there all day & walking To their work or to try & stop people parking there while going to the Bons.

Unless they own that patch of land they can't legally stop people parking there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Why are you getting so worked up over this? What's the actual issue you have?
    The issue is explained in the very first sentence. As for getting worked up, you'll need to show where you see this. I've pasted the OP in below to make this easier.
    I am seeing ever more people in parts of Tralee blocking public street parking spaces with traffic cones.

Some of these houses have their own driveways to park their cars but are still blocking the space outside their house with a cone.

I also wonder where they got the cones.rolleyes.png

• Advertisement

endagibson wrote: »
    The issue is explained in the very first sentence. As for getting worked up, you'll need to show where you see this. I've pasted the OP in below to make this easier.

So move the cones :confused: and tell your parents they're entitled to move them. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Ring the council and get them to come along and lift all the cones. You can't reserve part of a public road for yourself, for any reason.

I wonder what sort of reaction you got if you reported them for littering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

It looks like a residential area.
    Why would you want to park there?
    Are you visiting residents?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

They are claiming ownership of the public road outside their house as if it were their own property which they have no right to, simply move the cones. If your buying a house and require additional parking spaces but a house with enough spaces.

The Skoda Octavia parked on the path in picture 1 should be reported to the Gardaí for obstructing the footpath

Reported to the guards someone would have little for doing reporting a car for bad parking ffs.. As if they would come out to look at it.

I have the small van. Sometimes I pick these up off the road, I have about 8-9 in my shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

audi12 wrote: »
    Reported to the guards someone would have little for doing reporting a car for bad parking ffs.. As if they would come out to look at it.

How would a wheelchair get past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I have the small van. Sometimes I pick these up off the road, I have about 8-9 in my shed.

Ah, so you're a thief too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

But they're just plastic cones. A car would push them out of the way while parking.

Its like a pub reserving a loading bay waiting on a delivery. I've moved many kegs left blocking bays and told many staff waiting to move, no right whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I live in Cork City and see this all the time. Actually picked up two cones and moved them today so I could park. I have a residents parking permit so can park on a few of the public roads near my house.

It's mainly builders/tradesmen that do it here. I guess I can see why they do, they have big vans and it's extremely hard to find parking on the street here. Still though, they are not allowed and it's unfair on residents. I said it to a traffic warden once and he just said to move the cones. Sometimes afraid the builders will do something to my car though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,348 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They don't own the road way like

Advertisement