Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People blocking public parking with cones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

There's a pub in mallow where the owner puts s beer barrel in a parking space outside his pub. It's s pay parking area maybe the council should send him a bill for parking the beer barrel there holding up a space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

lawred2 wrote: »
    They don't own the road way like

This isn't Facebook...don't like your own posts

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Certain places in Dingle did this over the summer. If it were tradespeople needing the space for moving heavy goods in to a house, I left the cones. Otherwise, I lifted the cones and parked where I needed to with my blue badge facing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It looks like a residential area.
    Why would you want to park there?
    Are you visiting residents?

This area is Strand Street and the demand for free parking by non residents is two fold. Visitors to the Bons Secours hospital located on that street want to avoid their parking charges so will use the street and secondly, as Strand Street is one of the nearest residential areas to the town centre, it's feasible for workers to park there and still only be less than 10 minutes walk from work so will park their all day to avoid having to pay daily/hourly rates in the town centre car parks.

I thought they had pay meters on the stretch opposite the hospital but maybe it doesn't extend to O'Rahilly Villas where these photos are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Public road is just that. Public. You have no legal right to park in front of your own house. Just move the cones. My mother is 84 and could move cones if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

ongarboy wrote: »
    This area is Strand Street and the demand for free parking by non residents is two fold. Visitors to the Bons Secours hospital located on that street want to avoid their parking charges so will use the street and secondly, as Strand Street is one of the nearest residential areas to the town centre, it's feasible for workers to park there and still only be less than 10 minutes walk from work so will park their all day to avoid having to pay daily/hourly rates in the town centre car parks.

I thought they had pay meters on the stretch opposite the hospital but maybe it doesn't extend to O'Rahilly Villas where these photos are.

Based on your description it's not hard to figure out why these people have to resort to putting out cones.

The people live there and I have no doubt that if they don't put out cones they have great difficulty in parking outside their own houses.

These people pay property tax.
    They are entitled to park outside their houses.

The real question is why do hospitals charge for parking?
    People do not visit hospitals by choice.
    They HAVE to be there to visit loved ones at a difficult time.

Charging for parking at a hospital is a disgrace.

Post about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

It looks like a residential area.
    Why would you want to park there?
    Are you visiting residents?

Do people now have to justify why they want to park on a public road?

embraer170 wrote: »
    Do people now have to justify why they want to park on a public road?

The world is not black & white. It is various shades of grey...

In this situation , as in most others, context is key...

Based on your description it's not hard to figure out why these people have to resort to putting out cones.

The people live there and I have no doubt that if they don't put out cones they have great difficulty in parking outside their own houses.

It's a public street. As it stands, they are as entitled as anyone else with a car.

If there is a problem with parking abuse, they should lobby for resident disc parking.

The world is not black & white. It is various shades of grey...

Your point is?

People attempting to privatise public space is a real issue.

• Advertisement

Ah, so you're a thief too

Really? Who owns it abandoned on the road?

embraer170 wrote: »
    Your point is?

People attempting to privatise public space is a real issue.

That's exactly what is going on here. Well done you. :rolleyes:

Really? Who owns it abandoned on the road?

Are the cars similarly abandoned? Why is car theft a crime? :confused:

Are the cars similarly abandoned? Why is car theft a crime? :confused:

I worry for you if you don't know the differences

I worry for you if you can't figure out my point.

Reference the post I quoted and work backwards...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

ongarboy wrote: »

I am in the Bons once a month, would never dream of parking on the street outside, even when my legs decide to be (relatively) good.

And a thief is still a thief

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Ginger83 wrote: »
    How would a wheelchair get past?

Are the guards going to come out and deal with a badly parked car no there not they would likely hang up on the caller and tell the person to get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Guffy

Riskymove wrote: »
    The houses don't have driveways which I presume is the issue

Having to park far away form your house would be frustrating I imagine. It doesn't make the cones right or make it a legal issue but I can understand why people do it.

Neither, you wouldnt have a leg to stand on either way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Ginger83

audi12 wrote: »
    Are the guards going to come out and deal with a badly parked car no there not they would likely hang up on the caller and tell the person to get a life.

Would they?

What if it was a disabled person in a wheelchair ringing for help because they cant get past???

And what a disabled person had an accident having been ignored...ie...tumbling a wheelchair off the kerb onto the road trying to get around this car. I'd say that would call for a personal injury claim against this cars insurance policy!

Maybe you should see things from more sides than through the eyes of a lazy motorist. That car should be towed.

There was a book printed....what was it....dear oh dear....emmm...oh yea the rules of the road!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

The same happens in Lahinch,feckers standing there eating 99's in the parking Space's...bloody disgrace ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

While I empathize that it's a nuisance not being able to park outside your own house, unless you own a private driveway or parking space, you are not "entitled" to park outside your own house if it's on public property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Can you blame them. Chances are some selfish gob****e, BMW or family tank vehicle owner will block half their driveway. Where's your ownership of private spaces rights gone now.

I have photos of bastard's parking up on footpaths yesterday because there was a game in Austin stacks park....one woman couldn't get her buggy out of her door
    Have given them to the Gardai complete with licence plates and I have asked for action

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have photos of bastard's parking up on footpaths yesterday because there was a game in Austin stacks park....one woman couldn't get her buggy out of her door Have given them to the Gardai complete with licence plates and I have asked for action

You will need photos of the the license plate & the car on the footpath in the same photo. Otherwise it's not evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I have photos of bastard's parking up on footpaths yesterday because there was a game in Austin stacks park....one woman couldn't get her buggy out of her door
    Have given them to the Gardai complete with licence plates and I have asked for action

3lETvV0.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Now that I have a baby, I have realised how annoying it is if cars are parked on the footpaths. I'm fed up of having to walk out on road with pram just to get around them. It's so inconsiderate, and I feel very sorry for people in wheelchairs. So many People don't use their brains or consideration when parking.

A Traffic warden told us that you are more likely to get an automatic parking ticket if you park up on a footpath than if you park just off it, even if it's on a double yellow line. Parking on footpaths is considered a health & safety risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

The truth is its next to a hospital and the cost of hospital parking is a scandal . the poor people living there I'm sure are pig sick of parking 100s of yards from their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Now that I have a baby, I have realised how annoying it is if cars are parked on the footpaths. I'm fed up of having to walk out on road with pram just to get around them. It's so inconsiderate, and I feel very sorry for people in wheelchairs. So many People don't use their brains or consideration when parking.

A Traffic warden told us that you are more likely to get an automatic parking ticket if you park up on a footpath than if you park just off it, even if it's on a double yellow line. Parking on footpaths is considered a health & safety risk.

About 12months ago I was walking into Tralee and a lady pulls up on pavement ,unclips a todler and goes to cross road , I was aproching her on pavement with baby in pram , I said to her I have to go onto road now to pass car.
    She shrugged her shoulders and crossed road .

One of the rare moments in life I'd like to smash her car up with a cro-bar

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Eh no. The property tax that they pay ends at their walls. They don't pay for or own the pavement or the road. They aren't entitled to do anything with the space outside their house. It is not their space.
    Charging for parking at a hospital is a disgrace.
    Problem is that selfish gits will park anywhere, so if they don't charge for it, it gets abused.

Advertisement