Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PV panels?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Are there any small scale PV projects showing their yield on-line, in real time, perhaps with historical data? (ideally Kildare)

I'm interested in a 3kW installation and the agent showed me a 'typical' installation yield, but seeing is believing.
    I'll be exploring a wind turbine too, something that I can stick on a 10m pole in a fairly open flat site. You guys might even turn me into a nurd yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rule of thumb is up to about 1000kWh per kwp if south facing, so up to 3000 kWh per year for your 3kW install at most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That is about €450 I presume. Hell of a lot better than solar panels. What cost approx, 4/5K?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Have started building new house only at blocks at the minute
    Looking for info on any that has them on a new build

naughto wrote: »

You should look into Tesla roofs. I've no idea of pricing, but it's worth investigating.
    Water John wrote: »
    That is about €450 I presume. Hell of a lot better than solar panels. What cost approx, 4/5K?

3000kWh is worth €400 at most for someone that can use all of it for stuff they can't run at night (if you have a huge base load, like someone into cryptomining). In all other cases it's worth far less. If you use a fifth of it and use the rest for heating water, then it's only worth about €100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

naughto wrote: »

Do you mean you want info on Solar PV on a new build?

First port of call should be your architect

Second your electrician

New build is easier as you just wire it into the system,......

Seen this company on facebook.....this is what happens when the kids are up at 4 in morning and you are bored :-)

https://www.eliteenergies.ie/

From what I can see it creates electricity and also heats the house.....very interesting if it works....

Someone more technical does it sound reasonable or is it BS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do you mean you want info on Solar PV on a new build?

First port of call should be your architect

Second your electrician

New build is easier as you just wire it into the system,......

Ya new build has any one on this thread but them in or did they go with the tubes that just heat water

Seen this company on facebook.....this is what happens when the kids are up at 4 in morning and you are bored :-)

https://www.eliteenergies.ie/

From what I can see it creates electricity and also heats the house.....very interesting if it works....

Someone more technical does it sound reasonable or is it BS?

BS

You can't heat your Irish home in winter with PV or tubes

Neither DHW nor space heating

unkel wrote: »
    BS

I wouldn't expect it to heat the house.

I am looking at the R-VOLT system
    https://www.eliteenergies.ie/electric-solar-panels-in-ireland

I would guess this would just blow some warm air into house but you would need your current system(oil etc) in place to actually heat the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

Is there any chance they will relax the planning requirements so you can install more than 12m2 array (about 7 panels) without having to apply for planning permission. I see this as a big stumbling block, extra hassel and expense.

Is there any chance they will relax the planning requirements so you can install more than 12m2 array (about 7 panels) without having to apply for planning permission. I see this as a big stumbling block, extra hassel and expense.

No....

It's a money generator for the local Council......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

BS

Hmmm. don't know about that. I have a DHW system that gives 270L of hot water running on 700w of leccy when it's heating. It's a heat pump and I run it on night rate electricity and there's plenty of hot water during the day for showers, baths, etc.

Surely that could be run from solar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hmmm. don't know about that. I have a DHW system that gives 270L of hot water running on 700w of leccy when it's heating. It's a heat pump and I run it on night rate electricity and there's plenty of hot water during the day for showers, baths, etc.

What make/model of heat pump do you have that only needs 700W to run?

Yes, but your saving is only the night rate. For a new install I suppose it would be replacing day time electricity.

KCross wrote: »
    What make/model of heat pump do you have that only needs 700W to run?
    Ermmm.. dunno. Big, white, square? :D

It's only for the DHW, not the space heating.

I'd be very skeptical you have a heat pump that only requires 700W to run(DHW or heating, its all the one.... they both work off the same compressor) unless its tiny and you've said its a big, white square so I'm guessing not! ;)

I have a DHW system that gives 360l of hot water running from a 40 tube solar system :)

It provides almost 100% of my DHW from late March to November and can still provide 100% of my hot water on a sunny but freezing cold winters day. It needs regular supporting in the coldest winter months though. You can't heat your house / water in Ireland on solar alone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hey guys, been following this thread along for a while...

Moved into a house late last year, bungalow, low pitch roof, south facing but roof is E/W.

Just wondering what type of systems would be out there that would suit for a retro fit.

House is in Kildare.

Thanks

I'd be very skeptical you have a heat pump that only requires 700W to run(DHW or heating, its all the one.... they both work off the same compressor) unless its tiny and you've said its a big, white square so I'm guessing not! ;)
    OK, I lied. It's not 700w.... it's 600w. According to the manual that is. It says in the Technical specifications: Heat Pump Input 600 Watt.

I'm just going by the spec sheet.

• Advertisement

OK, I lied. It's not 700w.... it's 600w. According to the manual that is. It says in the Technical specifications: Heat Pump Input 600 Watt.

I'm just going by the spec sheet.

Make/Model?

Make/Model?
    Jayziz, it's like an interrogation.

http://vesttherm.dk/en/service/vt-31303132-eco-270-l

That one but in a different enclosure.

Jayziz, it's like an interrogation.

http://vesttherm.dk/en/service/vt-31303132-eco-270-l

That one but in a different enclosure.

Ah, its a small heat pump that only heats water. I haven't seen those before. Usually heat pumps in domestic applications refer to space and hot water heating and those ones would use 2-4kW when running.

Heat pumps are finding their way into more and more appliances now with clothes dryers also having them.

I'll release you on bail now! :)

That's what I said above. :D

Does it not state from those specs that it's 2.6kW? As in 600W + 2000W supplementary heating = 2600W total power input?

Does it not state from those specs that it's 2.6kW? As in 600W + 2000W supplementary heating = 2600W total power input?
    The supplementary heating isn't used under normal circumstances. It's a kind of a back-up. The tank also has inputs for solar tubes and back boiler. I only use the heat pump.

The variation on prices in the market is horrendous...

Just got a quote for 3kW system of €7775, that included divertor to hot water
    Last week got price of €4162 ex VAT
    Last year price was €5970

Its a minefield out their....also all the provider are listed on website as the number 1 solar installer in ireland :-)

It says HP output 1700 from 600 input.

The supplementary heating isn't used under normal circumstances. It's a kind of a back-up.

All my water is heated by my solar. And if it's not, I have a gas boiler as backup :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Are there any small scale PV projects showing their yield on-line, in real time, perhaps with historical data? (ideally Kildare)

That's where I view my generation online and can search for others who don't have it set to private. Even came across one in Ringsend of a house I'd visited at Open House. Figures seemed low for them but I'm not sure why.

https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/solar-pv

I am just wondering why this seems so expensive? is it just because everyone is taking a cut?

They have 300 watt panels while most people seem to have 275watt

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

When PV reaches sub 4 yr payback I'll be all over it.

Very interested in Solar and the renewable space in general, but with a family, I can't afford to embark on environmental philanthropic missions! Ultimately, it has to make sense financially.

JHet wrote: »

Unless you buy very cheap (second hand) parts and do the install yourself, and use all the produced units at the real day time rate (not competing with gas or with night time rate), that won't happen in your lifetime without FIT / subsidies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Very interested in Solar and the renewable space in general, but with a family, I can't afford to embark on environmental philanthropic missions! Ultimately, it has to make sense financially.
    Depending on how you heat your water, and how much your house is occupied and using electricity during the day, you can achieve payback in the region of 10 years. Heating water in the summer with an oil boiler in a shed is less efficient. Night rate electricity is about 9c, but gas is a lot cheaper.

4 years payback would be a return on investment of 25%. I would think anything giving 10% back is good, but not if cash is tight. Many snake-oil sales staff promise ridiculous payback times and this creates unrealistic expectations. There are very few modifications you can make to your house that offer 4 years, with the possible exception of lagging the attic on a house that has no lagging at all..

Unless you buy very cheap (second hand) parts and do the install yourself, and use all the produced units at the real day time rate (not competing with gas or with night time rate), that won't happen in your lifetime without FIT / subsidies

Agree, ain't happening without REFIT and subs.

• Advertisement

A 25% ROI is unrealistic on any tech. Anything around 10% is good, as said above. If it moves nearer to 14/15%, that return finances the borrowing of the capital and the interest repayment.

Depending on how you heat your water, and how much your house is occupied and using electricity during the day, you can achieve payback in the region of 10 years. Heating water in the summer with an oil boiler in a shed is less efficient. Night rate electricity is about 9c, but gas is a lot cheaper.

4 years payback would be a return on investment of 25%. I would think anything giving 10% back is good, but not if cash is tight. Many snake-oil sales staff promise ridiculous payback times and this creates unrealistic expectations. There are very few modifications you can make to your house that offer 4 years, with the possible exception of lagging the attic on a house that has no lagging at all..

Technically 0% ROI until the 5th year, and only achievable with heavy subs + refit.

The MREF have acknowledged that payback periods need to come down, in order to encourage much wider participation in the renewables space in general. I don't think 4 years is unreasonable in this context. The reality is when people hear 10 year payback, they're turned off, and rightly so, a lot can happen in 10 years, heck it's hard to predict the next 2! Technology is advancing at such a rapid rate, the gear you bought 10 years ago could be stone age by then, and at minimum the cost will have come down exponentially if the current trend is anything to go by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Water John wrote: »
    A 25% ROI is unrealistic on any tech. Anything around 10% is good, as said above. If it moves nearer to 14/15%, that return finances the borrowing of the capital and the interest repayment.

When one takes into account taxation, I think one is looking at a 4% payback for an investment in the stock market and that isn't guaranteed. I think it is not even possible to get a 3% guaranteed investment in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I researched the solar panels at some stage some 5 years ago and decided 5k was going to be too much, well my wife decided too much for the payback time it would take....kind of agreed at the time.
    I've a family of 5 adults at this stage so would like to have more warm water for showers, my back roof ideally located at south-south-west.
    I could install this myself if I had the house to myself but alas...the boss wouldn't trust me!! lol
    Anyway,
    what is the cost these days of the solar thermal tubing...? given that I put up 2 panels, not sure what the sq m would be but for a family of 5....

For 5 adults using lots of hot water, a solar thermal install makes (financial) sense, with a payback of about 10 years. But are you sure all those adults will be living in your house for all that time? If it will be just yourself and your other half in the house 5 years from now, payback will be a lot, lot longer.

You're looking at a 30-40 tube 300-400l system for which you'll get a €1200 subsidy the last time I looked (it will also bump your property a level on the building energy rating scale)

• Advertisement

Figured as much, thanks for that.

As for the kids/adults living in the house in the next 10 years, well, even with half decent jobs I cant imagine the property scenario will be much different, if anything, houses will be much more expensive and prohibitively expensive into the bargin....

Would a top floor take the weight of a 400l tank...?

For 5 adults using lots of hot water, a solar thermal install makes (financial) sense, with a payback of about 10 years. But are you sure all those adults will be living in your house for all that time? If it will be just yourself and your other half in the house 5 years from now, payback will be a lot, lot longer.

You're looking at a 30-40 tube 300-400l system for which you'll get a €1200 subsidy the last time I looked (it will also bump your property a level on the building energy rating scale)

400l is 400kg. That's not a lot of weight. 6/7 adults. 4 of me!!!

Maybe we could do a boards group buy through the likes of segen.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Maybe we could do a boards group buy through the likes of segen.co.uk

LOVE this one here ...but somewhere on an open field...

Pardon my ignorance here, its the PV section I know little about in terms of the parts used and how they are configured. I do know what they do but my question is if an inverter is used with banks of batteries, I assume yes!? Are plug sockets in new builds wired in such a way to make use of
    a fully charged bank of cells or what way does it work?
    Cheers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Pardon my ignorance here, its the PV section I know little about in terms of the parts used and how they are configured. I do know what they do but my question is if an inverter is used with banks of batteries, I assume yes!? Are plug sockets in new builds wired in such a way to make use of
    a fully charged bank of cells or what way does it work?
    Cheers...
    Inverters convert DC to AC and you are confusing two types. Yes, battery inverters do this in some cases, but usually for PV systems the inverter converts DC from the panels and pushes it into the grid. You then use it to power appliances, or if you don't use that power it gets exported to the grid.

To confuse matters, there are now some hybrid inverters that work with both PV and batteries and use the batteries as an energy storage system. This is a new innovation not commonly seen, but the same inverter sends power to the loads, or to batteries, then at night takes from batteries rather than PV to suppply loads. Er. That made matters worse??:confused:

Ok I am back onto this....my electric bill came in and it is going up & up & up....even the Misses says we should look at something

So I was talking to company this morning. They are going to review bills but I expect the 3kW to 5kW which they all come back with.

What they mentioned was about a battery. So during the summer months the PV would power the house during the day and a 5kW battery to power the house at night.....

Then in winter the battery would be charged at nighttime on night rate and then during the day the house would run off the battery, it sounds excellent to me but 5kW doesn't seem like a whole pile to me..

I am discounting the electric car at the moment because majority of the time it will only be able to charge on nighttime anwyay

during the summer months the PV would power the house during the day and a 5kW battery to power the house at night.....

Then in winter the battery would be charged at nighttime on night rate and then during the day the house would run off the battery, it sounds excellent to me

Yes it sounds excellent, in a few years time when batteries have come down in value.

If you want to do it for the environment and you have plenty of money, buy all means go ahead and do it. But your pocket will hurt. It's more expensive per kWh to use a battery than buying the electricity from the grid at full day rates. Even if you got the electricity to power your battery for free. Seriously.

You've a fairly big detached house, right? You'll need a lot more capacity than 5kWh. Probably more like 15kWh. And that's without heating your house or your water from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Ok I am back onto this....my electric bill came in and it is going up & up & up....even the Misses says we should look at something

Any idea what the big consumers are - is it heating, water or general household appliances?

For reference, I was quoted 5k for 3kw pv panels and and extra 3k for 5kw battery storage. Was your quote similar?

Any idea what the big consumers are - is it heating, water or general household appliances?

For reference, I was quoted 5k for 3kw pv panels and and extra 3k for 5kw battery storage. Was your quote similar?

I would be expecting similar pricing....

Really I have no idea, probably a mixture of general household items.....electric showers etc.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement