Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick - Galway train

• 27-09-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

Anybody here ever travel by train from Limerick to Galway?

I've a meeting on Saturday in Galway city centre just after noon, and the train schedule says I would arrive at about 11.15am.

I'm wondering if there are regular delays on this service, or if it's reliable and usually on time.

If I can help it I don't want to drive as traffic in Galway is a mess, and in any case I can get a bit of work done on the train journey, so it's a better way to travel in this instance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Limerick to Galway train is a disaster. It goes half way around the country and takes about 2 hours. Your much better off getting the bus or driving imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It might be slower than driving but to answer your question it is reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote: »
    Limerick to Galway train is a disaster. It goes half way around the country and takes about 2 hours. Your much better off getting the bus or driving imo.

I don't mind the fact that it takes 2 hours, so long as it's on time.

It's only half an hour longer than driving and none of the bull**** and hardship and extra costs that go with bringing a car into Galway City! It's also cheaper than driving at 10 euro each way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I drove to Galway last Saturday at noon from Limerick, took just over an hour and there was little or no traffic, drove straight into the city centre.
    We were expecting it to be mental because the B&B told us it would be due to the oyster festival.

I'll give the train a go.

Don't want the hassle/cost of driving and parking. The time factor is actually in favour of the train too, because even though the journey is longer, it's not wasted time (as it would be when driving).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If you can get a direct train to Galway then you're grand otherwise you'll be going for a detour to Portlaoise and takes about 4hrs with three changes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If you can get a direct train to Galway then you're grand otherwise you'll be going for a detour to Portlaoise and takes about 4hrs with three changes.

There's between a direct train via Ennis and Athenry since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I've taken the train to Ennis and Galway before with no issues. Station is right on Eyre Square.

Would recommend the trip to Ennis just to see Limerick from the track. Norwood Park, Corbally, over the Shannon then through Moyross. Had driven/walked under the track for years but had no idea where I was when seeing it from the train angle 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Used to get the direct train regularly enough about two years ago. If you're not bothered about duration of the journey then you'd be grand. Never had any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I've travelled the Limerick - Galway myself. It is not direct, as it has to go to Athenry, and then reverses the way it came into Athenry station.
    But as Irish Rail journeys go, the Galway - Limerick ride is not the worst. Try to board one of the first, and get a clean window seat.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

testicles wrote: »
    Da fuk?

Yup.. there's one or 2 a day that go towards Heuston and then back across..

The one I'm getting is only 1 hour 50 minutes, which isn't bad at all, and only 10 euro each way. The key thing is that it leaves and arrives on time.

Live update: It was departure time at 09.20. No train to be seen. Surprisingly big queue. Well, maybe 60 or 70 people, many tourists among them. The train arrived a few minutes later and was heading for Galway by 09.25. The seat booking system doesn't seem to mean anything.

Tourists among the passengers? Sure irish Rail has the same attitude to them as the Third Level students. You know the likes that feature in Irish Rail advertisements at the moment.

We're beyond Ennis now. A load of people got on there, headed for Galway. No more seats. Lots of Spanish kids, sitting on the floor.

Running a good bit late now. Stopped in Athenry at the moment. It's due in at 11.13. Obviously no chance of that happening.

Not good enough.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You'll take Panda's advice and get the bus next time, won't you? :P

zulutango wrote: »
    Running a good bit late now. Stopped in Athenry at the moment. It's due in at 11.13. Obviously no chance of that happening.

Not good enough.
    This thread will end well.
    😃

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

An File wrote:
    You'll take Panda's advice and get the bus next time, won't you?

The moral for this thread is to always take Panda's advice
    :)

• Advertisement

Did you make your noon meeting on time OP?

5rtytry56 wrote:
    Did you make your noon meeting on time OP?

I made it fairly comfortably! But I think if the service is to attract more customers and be economically viable it just has to be punctual and reliable. Otherwise people are just going to drive.

I'd take it again because I really hate Galway traffic, and looking for and paying for parking, and it's nice to be able to have an afternoon drink too before heading home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

But I think if the service is to attract more customers and be economically viable it just has to be punctual and reliable. Otherwise people are just going to drive.

The below contradicts the above.

I'd take it again because I really hate Galway traffic, and looking for and paying for parking, and it's nice to be able to have an afternoon drink too before heading home.

You'll really love it if there's flooding where the train journey from Limerick to Ennis is by a minibus and there's no fear the service is going to viable. It will always be run at a loss.

Thanks for reply zulu.
    ....Twunt me for saying that you'd have a pleasant journey on the limerick galway track - It's not suitable so for taking photos from a carriage window with your smartphone. Pity.

Advertisement