Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to POLITELY DECLINE applicants with INSUFFICIENT PREREQUISITES

Options
  • 27-09-2016 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I may offer a Digital Skills type course in the near future, but it is not suitable for complete beginners / novices to the area in question. How would I decline their application if I met in person or on paper without offending them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Can you document the requirements somewhere in the offering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

endagibson wrote: »
    Can you document the requirements somewhere in the offering?
    I will. But how to stop applicants who think they are entitled to get help in the form of "spoonfeeding" or being "taken by the hand" - an Irish phenomena - the rest of the class might call them out on it but they get a narky and defiant look too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I will. But how to stop applicants who think they are entitled to get help in the form of "spoonfeeding" or being "taken by the hand" - an Irish phenomena - the rest of the class might call them out on it but they get a narky and defiant look too.
    You mean they lie when applying? I assume this class has a set duration and curriculum. Just stick to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

All you can do is specify the requirements and ask for evidence/certification. You can't predict exactly what their needs or behaviour will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I used to train in a corporate setting. That made it easy for me to call the student's manager and say I was sending them back to work because they were without the necessary prerequisite, and I did not need to be polite about it other than to refrain from calling the manager a dumb@ss to their face. :)

If your students are adults, treat them like adults and hold them responsible for their choice. Say you were teaching in a culinary school and your course required as a prerequisite HACCP food safety training. You'd hardly let someone walk in off the street and let their pout substitute for the certification. If you think the prerequisite is necessary for success in the class, then allowing someone without the prerequisite to take part makes you responsible for their eventual failure. Don't be suckered into allowing it. Immediately send the student away, to the cashier's office to process a withdrawal and refund if you want to be nice about it, to H-E-double-hockey-sticks if you know they lied on the application on purpose just out of pure entitlement. You and the class and the subject matter deserve respect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement