Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Car Diesel Auto

• 27-09-2016 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

hI,

i was wondering what a diesel auto mpg would be like for a 8 mile urban communte EW ??? i think somehting like a golf/focus/c5/i40 sizes car maybe small estate. I'm aware of the potential DPF erg issues etc etc. I only every owned petriol and am looking at a second car to replace a MX5 for commuting and full use over the winter spring time months. looking for 2008+ cheap tax/VRT & something reasonably confortably. not sure about MPG or diesel autos petrol auto i had before we pretty horrendous on juice. i'd spending about 5.5k and looking to keep for 2-3 yrs . might source from the north & take a chance on somehting high milage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I think it'd be utter madness to get a car that size with a diesel for an 8 mile commute. Better off looking at something like a Golf 1.4TSi DSG or the like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

For an urban commute, diesel is not a particularly good choice. At low speeds and in heavy traffic the engine will barely warm up - not good for fuel consumption or any of the emissions control junk. If you want something efficient for urban driving you'd be better off with a hybrid, but at that budget there's not much choice (2nd gen Prius or Civic Hybrid of similar age).

Modern automatics are not bad fuel-wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

For a mere eight mile commute would you not get a good bicycle instead?

You'd be bonkers to pay big money for a newish enough diesel car that's just doing 80 miles a week.
    If a bike is not an option I'd be getting, say, an 08 petrol supermini class car. Maybe a suzuki swift, Nissan Micra or Ford Ka. No merit in anything bigger than 1.2L for urban commute driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Prius

Smart car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Something like a Honda Civic 1.8 petrol iShift might fit the bill. It's an automated manual rather than a torque converter auto and possibly not the most refined of gearboxes but if an economical, low tax (€390) cheap to run car is what you want, you may live with the gearshift, especially on such a short commute. No turbo, DMF, DPF, etc... to fail and eat up all of your tax and fuel savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

thats 8 miles each way, i ccycle buy galway traffic is very dodgy, **** driving standard and worse narrow roads + winter.

I had thought of the civics but i test drove a jazz recently for my mother and though the auto box was really terrible

No. just no. A 1.8 litre is an animal of an engine for city commute driving.
    Why do you need an auto box? A manual will be cheaper and easier to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Musketeer4 wrote: »

Because it is, well..., easier to drive?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'd agree 1.8 bit big for urban commute but for a lot of stop start an auto is very nice to have and I would say well worth the extra you'd pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭mikeecho

for a 16 mile daily commute, i'd be looking at an Auto petrol/electric

just to clarify.. something like a bmw 330e or toyota prius/ or that honda version of a prius

Petro/elec gives you the benefit of an electric car, with the convenience of a petrol for those longer journeys. and as you said, it'll be a second car, so prob wont be doing long journeys all that often.

i'm also an Auto convert.. would never go back to a manual...

A 330 BMW for city commuting? You#re having a laugh.

That sort of second car utility driving requries nothing more than an A or B segment car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭mikeecho

That sort of second car utility driving requries nothing more than an A or B segment car.

it was an example of a petro/elec

do you have a problem with the suggestion of a prius / honda

*unfollows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Obviously not at the OP's budget, but what's wrong with a bit of comfort and refinement in your commuting car? It could take over an hour to travel 8 miles in Dublin, which is 2 hours a day. Add in a few child seats and a B segment car would be a complete pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Spending €5500!

Ah jaysus, you won't get anything decent post 08 in a diesel auto for that. And if you do it'll be in shoite in no time.

Get a Prius (pre 08 but only 1.5 tax anyway)

Even if you had a car that only did 20mpg vs 35mpg - you're still not spending that much extra on petrol in real terms.

Anyway, the answer is a Prius.

Advertisement