Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seller got my address wrong

• 27-09-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭

I recently ordered something on eBay from Italy. The seller forgot to put my company name on the address even though it is on my address on eBay (I work in a building with a mix of about 10 companies plus a lot of apartments).

The courier company sent it back to Italy (they had my email and phone number but didn't bother phoning, and I couldn't use the tracking to attempt a new delivery).

The seller resent it but now wants me to cover half the postage (he says the courier company wouldn't refund) - i don't think this is fair as it wasn't my mistake. Is there anything he can do if I just ignore him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Fastway or DPD at a guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have you received it? If not, its possible they could contact the courier to stop the shipment.
    You could ignore them - but they could go through ebay support and lodge a complaint against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

GBX wrote: »
    Have you received it? If not, its possible they could contact the courier to stop the shipment.
    You could ignore them - but they could go through ebay support and lodge a complaint against you.

You must be kidding.

It is very simple: the buyer did not receive the item, it is the seller responsibility to make sure the item is delivered. If it got lost in transport or maybe wasn't sent at all, got damaged etc - it is all on sellers hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They are chancing their arm, and I don't really blame them, its worth a try. But just tell them THEY got the address wrong so THEY will pay for the second delivery fee.

grogi wrote: »
    You must be kidding.

It is very simple: the buyer did not receive the item, it is the seller responsibility to make sure the item is delivered. If it got lost in transport or maybe wasn't sent at all, got damaged etc - it is all on sellers hand.

Kidding about which part? Which part do you think is far fetched?
    Yes the seller is chancing his arm. Hopefully OP has received the item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks for the replies - I received it today. The seller had to pay 25e postage a second time, but again it is a combination of him leaving the company name out, and the delivery company sending it back to Italy rather than phoning the number on the label.

Glad you got sorted.

But of course now it is broken. Anyone know if I have any option beyond shipping it back to Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Not with eBay. You'll have to return it at your cost if you want any kind of refund or replacement, unless the seller just agrees to a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Not with eBay. You'll have to return it at your cost if you want any kind of refund or replacement, unless the seller just agrees to a refund.

Not at all true.

I just went through an experience where the seller send me the wrong item and ebay insisted the seller was liable for the return costs. The seller did not agree so ebay gave them 5 days then refunded me without the need to make the return at all.

OP - contact ebay, tell them the item is significantly not as described, ie, it is broken. Take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Not at all true.

I just went through an experience where the seller send me the wrong item and ebay insisted the seller was liable for the return costs. The seller did not agree so ebay gave them 5 days then refunded me without the need to make the return at all.

OP - contact ebay, tell them the item is significantly not as described, ie, it is broken. Take it from there.

Not eBay. PayPal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I sell some goods on ebay. If you pay by PayPal then we use the PayPal address and not the ebay address. Maybe your company name wasn't on the PayPal address?
    If you gave the correct details on PayPal then the seller is at fault. In this case you need to open a dispute through ebay. All communication between you and the seller should go through eBay

grogi wrote: »
    Not eBay. PayPal...

No. Ebay.

The OP is complaining about a broken item - the previous about wrong address is irrelevant to the fact the the item has now arrived and is not as described - ie, its broken.

But of course now it is broken. Anyone know if I have any option beyond shipping it back to Italy?

Depends on the product - might be cheaper to get it fixed here than sending it for repair/replacement to Italy.

PayPal has agreed that I can get a refund but I need to send it back. This will cost about 30e on a 120e item - is it reasonable to ask seller for a partial refund? I can find the parts to repair it but they will be about 30e (even if it is just a small piece of plastic - the item is a coffee machine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

PayPal has agreed that I can get a refund but I need to send it back. This will cost about 30e on a 120e item - is it reasonable to ask seller for a partial refund? I can find the parts to repair it but they will be about 30e (even if it is just a small piece of plastic - the item is a coffee machine)

There's no harm asking but you wouldn't split the cost of the postage originally so I'd be very doubtful that seller will help you out now.
    You've been very unlucky in this transaction. I believe people ordering online need to factor in maybe every 100 transaction online might backfire like this.
    For me I'd need to be saving maybe 70 euro on a transaction like this to make up for the risk and the loss of warranty

You should have gone through eBay not PayPal.

PayPal make you pay for the return, eBay don't.

Advertisement