Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Tree

Options
  • 27-09-2016 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey folks, I'm in a rental property and in the garden there is an apple tree which has thrown out some gorgeous looking red apples this month. They look identical to Pink Lady's. However, they taste a little bitter and the texture is a bit, i dunno, 'starchy' for want of a better word. Can anyone offer advice on this? Do they need longer on the tree before picking? should i pick them and store them a little while? Or is this just how they turned out due to soil and weather conditions?
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do they come off easily when you pull them? if not, they're not quite ripe yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Agree with magicbastarder - just because apples look red and ripe doesn't mean they actually are. They should come away from the tree easily when you pick them - patience is a virtue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Don't even pull at them.

Place your open palm under the apple and give the slightest turn if it comes away freely then it's ripe.

It could of course just be an apple that doesn't appeal to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

do they come off easily when you pull them? if not, they're not quite ripe yet.
    They required a bit of a twist and a pull, so i guess they need more time. Thank you for reply
    lottpaul wrote: »
    Agree with magicbastarder - just because apples look red and ripe doesn't mean they actually are. They should come away from the tree easily when you pick them - patience is a virtue :)
    Cool, I'm happy to wait now that i know they arent fully ripe :-)
    monkeynuz wrote: »
    Don't even pull at them.

Place your open palm under the apple and give the slightest turn if it comes away freely then it's ripe.

It could of course just be an apple that doesn't appeal to you.

Thanks for the tip, il wait a while and try as you suggest :-)

Advertisement