Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colonisation of Ulster & modern settlement patterns

Options
  • 27-09-2016 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

This question is really for people familiar with historical geography to answer.

I recall in Laffan's Partition of Ireland (1983) a comment to the effect that the nationalists were still in the uplands (I think he was talking about Armagh) looking down on the fertile unionist land which their families had been displaced from and that this was still a source of animosity.

To what extent does the spatial distribution of both communities today reflect 17th century settler-colonialism? I'm conscious that neither Antrim nor Down were part of the official plantation but they were privately colonised so I include those counties' respective settlement patterns from this time in this question. Did the collapse of the Penal Laws regarding land rental/upheaval in the 1790s fundamentally disturb this settlement pattern? Did industrialisation in the 19th century? Or urbanisation in the 20th? I expect that if they're not coterminous, there is a very strong correlation between both, but I'm wondering how strong it is. Then, I'll wonder why the British left the glens of either Antrim or Armagh to the natives especially during times of high immigration from Britain, if indeed they did leave either place to them (were "deserving Irish" there, or was it as simple as letting them have the bad land as they were still needed to work on the plantation?)

I suppose in a way I'm looking for a visual/map of seventeenth-century land division as a result of plantations, and a map showing the distribution of both communities today (in all 9 counties if possible). Would anybody be able to throw light on this? Thanks.

PS: I know Derry city inside the walls is mostly (all?) commercial today, but how long is it since unionist areas of Derry were strictly inside the city walls and nationalist areas were outside them?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I remember looking at this map and noticing that the lake is almost completely surrounded by a ring of green within a larger orange area. Would land near a large fresh water lake be of a lesser standard than further "inland"?

This one is 2001 but the 2011 is almost identical (I just can't find it)

2001religionwardsni1.jpg

Advertisement