Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I proceed.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭GBX

They expected it in which seemed to be fine with the OP, but they got let down on delivery.
    Its "on the way" in that the supplier with still fulfil the order and the OP and others will get their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

From experience, the person selling the phone would have had a list of available phones, they sold based on this in good faith. Other operators would have done this too, as its a popular phone they go fast, by the time the orders were due to be filled the stock levels had dropped to nil. It happens, they don't have a back room of phones to physically check the stock they have to go by the stock list that isn't updated in real time. OP I would just chalk it up to hard luck and accept your refund, nothing lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

weisses wrote: »
    From OP

How can Eir confirm a delivery date without the actual phone in stock ?

How can Eir after agreed delivery date has passed confirm the phone is on the way if they actually don't have the handset in stock?

Pretty much every tech reseller does this. They don't sit on stock. Do you think eir have a warehouse with piles of phones lying around getting old and depreciating? They resell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Pretty much every tech reseller does this. They don't sit on stock. Do you think eir have a warehouse with piles of phones lying around getting old and depreciating? They resell.

Doesn't it say "temporary out of stock" ? then when you try to order ?

How can a re seller tell you something is on the way when in fact they don't even have said item ?

Doesn't it say "temporary out of stock" ? then when you try to order ?

How can a re seller tell you something is on the way when in fact they don't even have said item ?

They place an order with the supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Bit of fault both ways in this. But you'd think these situations should be predictable in the case of goods like iPhones - why can't businesses like Eir take in orders and payment on a provisional basis but on clear understanding that they will refund within a specified short amount of time, if they can't deliver on the sale??

They place an order with the supplier.

That is not an answer to the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Any manufacturer would prefer if companies buy in stock in bulk and then sell from stock to retail customers. Problem is that many modern businesses, to reduce costs - money tied up in stock and to reduce exposure of unsold stock, do this sort of 'just in time' selling.

Generates a lot of small order sales and paper work for manufacturers & distributors who are prepared to put up with it, but what choice is there now? Sales are sales. I'd suspect it drives up costs all round and which increases are passed onto the consumer.

That is not an answer to the question

Yes it is. They place an order with the supplier who tells them the eta and they pass that info on to the buyer based on the supplier schedule. This is not particular to Eir, nearly every single tech re-seller does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How is a supplier falling through breaching consumer protection legislation?

If they failed to provide the consumer with the information that the delivery date may change then they could have breached the CPA. But if they said to the consumer "OK, the delivery date is pencilled in as 17 September, but we may have supply issues so this might change" that would probably cover them. You might not think that is a big deal, but it could well be a criminal breach of the legislation.

• Advertisement

Yes it is. They place an order with the supplier who tells them the eta and they pass that info on to the buyer based on the supplier schedule. This is not particular to Eir, nearly every single tech re-seller does this.

No they are not

From Vodafone
    Sudden Unavailability: If we are unable to supply you with a Good, for example because that Good is not in stock or no longer available we will inform you of this and will not process your order, and refund you the full amount as soon as possible.

Above is the correct way OP's issue should be dealt with

It is not normal for a re seller to accept payment,.. agree on a delivery date ... and when that date passes still informing the customer the product is on the way even when they know the product is not even with the supplier

Its totally normal. Not going to keep arguing, go do some research yourself.

Its totally normal. Not going to keep arguing, go do some research yourself.

Just because a practice is widespread doesn't mean that it isn't a breach of legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No they are not

From Vodafone

Above is the correct way OP's issue should be dealt with

It is not normal for a re seller to accept payment,.. agree on a delivery date ... and when that date passes still informing the customer the product is on the way even when they know the product is not even with the supplier

No its not unless the same applies to Eir' terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They didn't missell anything, they sold a phone whose order didn't come through. Neither your bank nor comreg will do anything as they will refund you for the error. What outcome did you hope for?

Totally agree. Op you need to read the T&Cs. I can guarantee it's all covered there.
    I have an online store myself & everything you describe is covered in my T&Cs. The part that I would be annoyed about myself is the 30 day refund. If you give me an order number for my site and I can process refund instantly. Pay by PayPal & it's credited instantly. Pay by credit card & it takes a day or so.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Just because a practice is widespread doesn't mean that it isn't a breach of legislation.

Point out to the specific piece of legislation that states you cannot resell. What you are suggesting is ludicrous.

GBX wrote: »
    No its not unless the same applies to Eir' terms.

I was referring to the poster stating this practice was widespread among operators .. I only showed that assumption is wrong

I was referring to the poster stating this practice was widespread among operators .. I only showed that assumption is wrong

A single example doesn't show anything. This is basic supply chain management. Sellers do not hold piles of stock especially tech, they just order in from suppliers as buyer orders come in. This is an industry standard method of keeping stock depreciation at a minimum. I don't know how you can think otherwise.

Point out to the specific piece of legislation that states you cannot resell. What you are suggesting is ludicrous.

That isn't what I said at all and you know it.

A single example doesn't show anything. This is basic supply chain management. Sellers do not hold piles of stock especially tech, they just order in from suppliers as buyer orders come in. This is an industry standard method of keeping stock depreciation at a minimum. I don't know how you can think otherwise.

Yeah I forgot ... Vodafone is a small player

I am not arguing who has stock where ..

OP was told phone is shipped arriving the 19th ... Phone didn't arrive ... OP called eir, was told that the phone was definatly on its way ... Then all of a sudden there was no phone at all

But hey it's just basic supply chain management ... Sure

• Advertisement

Yeah I forgot ... Vodafone is a small player

I am not arguing who has stock where ..

OP was told phone is shipped arriving the 19th ... Phone didn't arrive ... OP called eir, was told that the phone was definatly on its way ... Then all of a sudden there was no phone at all

But hey it's just basic supply chain management ... Sure

Yeah, cos their system will say its on the way right until the supplier states its not.

What exactly do you think Eir were doing anyway? Making stuff up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Yeah, cos their system will say its on the way right until the supplier states its not.

What exactly do you think Eir were doing anyway? Making stuff up?

That's always been par for the course for Eir.

There's a difference between being let down by a supplier and informing the customer of this, and giving a customer repeated assurances and false information.

MOH wrote: »
    That's always been par for the course for Eir.

There's a difference between being let down by a supplier and informing the customer of this, and giving a customer repeated assurances and false information.

I've no experience ordering or dealing with Eir, but i can assure you they are one of many resellers that operate like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

I've no experience ordering or dealing with Eir, but i can assure you they are one of many resellers that operate like this.

You seem to have an issue with all of this for some reason.. If someone had 399 of your money i would say it might be a different story would it ?

RVN10 wrote: »
    You seem to have an issue with all of this for some reason.. If someone had 399 of your money i would say it might be a different story would it ?

Not really no, I would be annoyed but I wouldn't waste time with comreg as it's pointless. I would be in the phone to eir getting an update of where my money was instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Well i did do that and at the mention of an official complaint to Comreg my money is due back to me in 3-5 days as of this mornig so Comreg helped me in this situation I suggest you give them a shout if you want further info because you seem to have all the answers

RVN10 wrote: »
    Well i did do that and at the mention of an official complaint to Comreg my money is due back to me in 3-5 days as of this mornig so Comreg helped me in this situation I suggest you give them a shout if you want further info because you seem to have all the answers

If you don't want advice why bother posting here? 3-5 days is the standard time it takes to process a refund and it hit your account. Them saying 30 days is just ass covering in case of delays.

Comreg have nothing to do with this as Eir did nothing wrong or unusual. Glad you got sorted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This is clearly very poor customer service from eir and deserve criticism

No they are not .... It would display as " out of stock"

No reseller will accept an order then goes back to the customer telling the product is shipped with a delivery date when said product is not even with their supplier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

No they are not .... It would display as " out of stock"

No reseller will accept an order then goes back to the customer telling the product is shipped with a delivery date when said product is not even with their supplier

If you did the most basic of checks on Google you will have found that service providers worldwide were unable to fulfill orders due to the unexpected demand of the 7.

But sure why check facts when they get in the way of a whine?

Advertisement