Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Orton vs Ali announced for Smackdown this week.

The Iiconics have also added themselves to the EC match.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I’m hating this Triple H promo.. the authority shoehorning their way into the spotlight as always

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

TimesArrow wrote: »
    I’m hating this Triple H promo.. the authority shoehorning their way into the spotlight as always

Is it going to be this every week now leading up too mania ??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I thought the crowd would have cooled on Becky by now but they are still mad into her.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Can the Becky hype last all the way to Mania? I guess they think having her spark with Hunter/ steph will keep it hot Til Mania? Will they somehow align themselves with Ronda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,915 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So is vince or Shane next to feel the fury of Becky ? I mean that's two of the McMahons she's clattered on successive nights.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So is vince or Shane next to feel the fury of Becky ? I mean that's two of the McMahons she's clattered on successive nights.

It honestly reminds me of when Cena started to get boo'd by the audience, HHH asked to main event WM with Cena and he said something along the lines, "I'll be able to get him over... they're booing cause he hasn't fought anyone credible yet."

Flash forward a few years with Roman same thing, He main evented WM with Roman to apparently get him over and stop the booing.... HHH was cheered throughout the match and build up. :rolleyes:

HHH got involved in the Punk angle that pretty much put a stop to the summer of punk, especially when Nash got involved.

Can we once... just once have a star be built without McMahon interaction, the Vince Austin thing was lightning in a bottle, it can't be continued to be replicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,256 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I can't be the only one who simply can't stand Charlotte being on my screen.

They've lathered her in make up, and she looks appalling.
    She can't really talk.
    She has the fakest, cartooniest evil laugh I've ever heard.

Get her off my TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

SlickRic wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who simply can't stand Charlotte being on my screen.

They've lathered her in make up, and she looks appalling.
    She can't really talk.
    She has the fakest, cartooniest evil laugh I've ever heard.

Get her off my TV.

Dont feel quite as strongly as this, Ric :), but i dont see why she might be pushed into this match, it doesnt need her

I wonder when the Becky 3:16 tee shirt will go on sale

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

They're gonna oversell this and fcuk it up aren't they?

Also Christ Charlotte is awful on the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

That HHH segment was awful, just no. Not a Becky fan, but just leave her do her own thing, they are 100% going to run this into the ground before Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Also reducing Asuka to an afterthought, talk about devaluing a champion who tapped out The Man. Is there really a need to have the Becky angle dominate both shows?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also reducing Asuka to an afterthought, talk about devaluing a champion who tapped out The Man. Is there really a need to have the Becky angle dominate both shows?

Biggest thing WWE have... what will they do... what WWE always does... they'll run it into the ground until it's not over anymore.

That'll teach Becky for getting over when Charlotte was meant to be the star in the Main Event... :rolleyes:

I think, or hope, they'll keep her off TV for a week or two now. Having her on Raw and Smackdown for the next 6-7 weeks will burn the fans out.

Have Charlotte worming her into the match be a storyline for 2-3 weeks before Becky comes back with the all clear from the doctors.

Looked at that angle again, becky needs to sell the injured knee a bit more, looking at her leaving the ring on Raw compared to leaving the ring and hopping over the barrier on smackdown, it was such a remarkable improvement in 24hrs, she might not have to see the Doctor after all ;)

J. Marston wrote: »
    I think, or hope, they'll keep her off TV for a week or two now. Having her on Raw and Smackdown for the next 6-7 weeks will burn the fans out.

Have Charlotte worming her into the match be a storyline for 2-3 weeks before Becky comes back with the all clear from the doctors.

Nah, Vince will have to get his moment in the ring with her too :rolleyes:

I agree that this should be what they do, but... they will have to poke and prod at it till it's not as big as it would have been if they left the damn thing alone till after Elimination Chamber at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Like it or not but HHH and McMahon's are there to raise Becky's profile and help her in a bout with Rousey.

With Rousey she is a big name, to have her v Becky is fine for fans of the product week to week in TV. But with so many people who gif or twitter video, consume short snippets the Charlotte punch last week, Steph this or slapping HHH will get the attention to make the clips seen in large numbers.

Charlotte is the female Roman, in so far as she's being micro-managed to death. She actually is great in the ring, is a brilliant heel, is stunning and has a perfect look for the current product.....but they overly script stupid lines, force her to act in a cookie-cutter and unnatural way, and are going to have the crowd resent her because her push is so forced. WWE doesn't know how to naturally make people like a character; Becky (like Bryan a few years back) has fallen into their lap, but she wasn't meant to be "the chosen one". Admittedly, they aren't fighting as hard against this one, but they've still got "their girl" to push at all costs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,915 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Loughc wrote: »
    It honestly reminds me of when Cena started to get boo'd by the audience, HHH asked to main event WM with Cena and he said something along the lines, "I'll be able to get him over... they're booing cause he hasn't fought anyone credible yet."

Flash forward a few years with Roman same thing, He main evented WM with Roman to apparently get him over and stop the booing.... HHH was cheered throughout the match and build up. :rolleyes:

HHH got involved in the Punk angle that pretty much put a stop to the summer of punk, especially when Nash got involved.

Can we once... just once have a star be built without McMahon interaction, the Vince Austin thing was lightning in a bottle, it can't be continued to be replicated.
    As you say they keep thinking wrestler put down by authority figure like Austin vs McMahon will work with anyone including vince now. When it was jack Tunney, gorilla monsoon as authority figure it worked as you knew When they showed up you knew something big was happening. It wasn't done to death.

• Advertisement

I will say, though, I've zero issues with Becky and Hunter doing a segment.

List the number of women who've gotten segments like this with Hunter, EVER. DM_7 is right, it does boost Becky's profile being in the ring with HHH.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I will say, though, I've zero issues with Becky and Hunter doing a segment.

List the number of women who've gotten segments like this with Hunter, EVER. DM_7 is right, it does boost Becky's profile being in the ring with HHH.

Agreed on that front. But coupled with Steph on Monday I'm worried they're going to overdo it on the whole 'Authority' angle.

Like they always do.

Necro wrote: »
    Agreed on that front. But coupled with Steph on Monday I'm worried they're going to overdo it on the whole 'Authority' angle.

Like they always do.

Absolutely.

I do think that one thing Becky has going for her massively is she can actually dish out a physical retaliation to Steph though. Steph destroys a lot of men because they physically can't react (which is a big point of wrestling). Steph actually being able to take her down means there can be pay-offs in a Steph/Becky story.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was kinda glad when HHH came out since Charlotte and Becky were shouting over each other. Can't remember last time the men did that.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was kinda glad when HHH came out since Charlotte and Becky were shouting over each other. Can't remember last time the men did that.

I liked that. Talking shít and interrupting each other is sometimes better than X says scripted insult, Y responds with scripted insult.

Someone mentioned Charlotte's make-up, I noticed that too. They're really troweling it on lately. She looks like Cruella de Vil.

Make up in WWE is way out there. Sure even in years gone the baby oil and tan was insane for the men.

Still is for EC3.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,256 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Necro wrote: »
    They're gonna oversell this and fcuk it up aren't they?

yes.

everything is fúcking hot-shotted to the nines.

in one week Becky has smacked Steph and HHH. no real build. not real anticipation. nothing. just get the big reaction and move on to the next big reaction. if they're going for the Stone Cold feel, they're getting it really wrong. that built for well over a year. the first Stunner was a momentous occasion - if you saw it live, you remember it vividly.

i won't remember the Steph or HHH slaps in a month.

SlickRic wrote: »
    yes.

everything is fúcking hot-shotted to the nines.

in one week Becky has smacked Steph and HHH. no real build. not real anticipation. nothing. just get the big reaction and move on to the next big reaction. if they're going for the Stone Cold feel, they're getting it really wrong. that built for well over a year. the first Stunner was a momentous occasion - if you saw it live, you remember it vividly.

i won't remember the Steph or HHH slaps in a month.

The way people consume the priduct is differant now. While things in the past were built slowly to keep people tuning, people now expect a 'big' thing to happen in every show.

Going back further, there was a time a scene in a tv show would literally be someone ordering a drink in the pub. Over time everything was ramped up.

Shows like 24 moved it to a cliffhanger that is resolved quickly before another at the end of the show within the bigger story.

These days something 'big' has to happen in every show. People consume boxsets over the weekly episode format. Today WWE is more about twitter gifs and you tube views than getting people to tune in live. That is a response to the way people consume their product.

I don't enjoy it but I think they are right to go that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

J. Marston wrote: »
    Still is for EC3.

Have they not changed his name to E yet?

Advertisement