Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Gargano vs Cesaro announced for this week :O

Interested to see how long they’ll get, anything over 15 minutes and it’s a MOTY contender. Probably not going to finish clean though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Black & Ricochet vs Nakamura & Rusev also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

martyos121 wrote: »
    Interested to see how long they’ll get, anything over 15 minutes and it’s a MOTY contender. Probably not going to finish clean though. :(

Gargano is unknown to half the audience which will take the match down, but more than if they get say 17 minutes, they're going to lose 4 to a commercial break. Almost impossible to have legit MOTY contender in those circumstances unfortunately.

Steph here to get her claws into another popular wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Vince what the **** ???

Not a bad replacement so are we getting Kofi vs Bryan at mania then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Guess so.
    Owen's new tattoos are brutal ( not that his old one was any good either )

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The **** is going on

Hardyz back together no more broken matt (what a flop that was in wwe)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

It’s clearly going to be Kofi Bryan at Mania now.. I don’t get Vince- “yeah I’m Just going to replace you..” no real reason given.. probably a smart decision as to go from Kofi to Owens would have been underwhelming

And steph is just insufferable.: even there she was a **** to the hell champion Bryan.:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,617 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Charlotte shows up for Smackdown but not her Daddies 70th last night on RAW.

Great daughter she is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That's the type of show we'll be seeing reports soon about, that says Vince re-wrote it on the day. It wasn't a bad show, but it was an incredibly messy show.

Gargano not on, despite being advertised, Usos referred to by commentary as coming out after a break and then not, Auska MIA again.

I don't mind Kofi losing his shot at all, since I think they realized (finally) that the Mania match should be Kofi/Bryan. Its a bloody rough return for Owens though, thrown in as a weird face who has just be given the more popular face's title shot at the will of the heel authority. Probably going to lose next week too.

Matt Hardy returns with no fanfare and his character stripped from him. "Woken" Matt might not have won much plaudits, but he was infinetly more interesting that bland "Hardyz OAP" role.

Like, I can see there were several chess pieces moved round, positioning them for Mania. It was a course correction that was needed but it was very messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i think there playing off the well known vince changes his mind constantly with how he changed that but if it leads to Kofi in the mania match im ok with it.

and Kofi/KO/bryan would be a hell of mania match so im very ok with that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Seen a theory on reddit (i think). Vince is re-hashing what he's doing with Becky in this whole Kofi deal here.

This could lead to an uprising from Shane, Stef and Trips, sick of his power trip, who will attempt to oust him from power - could be a timely step back for Vinny Mac here, if he's gonna be balls deep in XFL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Seen a theory on reddit (i think). Vince is re-hashing what he's doing with Becky in this whole Kofi deal here.

This could lead to an uprising from Shane, Stef and Trips, sick of his power trip, who will attempt to oust him from power - could be a timely step back for Vinny Mac here, if he's gonna be balls deep in XFL

Actually been thinking that myself more recently, Vince going against what the rest of his family has set up to push his own 'chosen' talent. They all look visibly frustrated at his decisions when he comes out and changes things as well.

Only thing is they did all of this before in the Summer of Punk with Vinnie Mac being removed from power, and made an absolute balls of it that time so it will likely end up the same way.

Wow, a feud between the McMahon family over control of the company. If that comes to fruition, 1999 could be a hell of a year.

Wait now. It's 2019. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Monokne wrote: »
    Wow, a feud between the McMahon family over control of the company. If that comes to fruition, 1999 could be a hell of a year.

Wait now. It's 2019. :)

Maybe Stephanie will burn another teddy bear of Vince's.
    Unless they sell WWE will always be about the McMahon family & HHH is the exact same as them. They've their fingers in a few matches already for Mania & thats not even discussing Shane's probable match. Wai Ting described him perfectly; he looks like a 10 year old fan created himself as wrestler in a video game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ERG89 wrote: »
    Maybe Stephanie will burn another teddy bear of Vince's.
    Unless they sell WWE will always be about the McMahon family & HHH is the exact same as them. They've their fingers in a few matches already for Mania & thats not even discussing Shane's probable match. Wai Ting described him perfectly; he looks like a 10 year old fan created himself as wrestler in a video game.

its not just mcmahon/hhh family its just wrestling every booker/owner ever who wrestle loved to put themselves as one of the top stars dusty/ bill watts/ vonerichs list go on. Honestly think its mostly ego and partly lack of trust in anyone else

i think it shows in NXT were trips is no were near the product and how good its been because of that.

its why im fascinated by AEW and weather they can seperate the performer

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Happy that Owens has been thrown into the mix watching Kofi jump off or over the ropes 20 times a match is boring now and Owens can be great on the mic as well much more entertaining than the other two.

Great to see Owens back. There is no good time to suffer a serious injury but it's good that he was forced to go away for a while after becoming a total joke figure by being Braun's bitch for months on end. I keep seeing people say how he looks in great shape and he's slimmed down but he looks the same to me.

Not sure about him using the stunner as a finisher though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

J. Marston wrote: »
    Great to see Owens back. There is no good time to suffer a serious injury but it's good that he was forced to go away for a while after becoming a total joke figure by being Braun's bitch for months on end. I keep seeing people say how he looks in great shape and he's slimmed down but he looks the same to me.

Not sure about him using the stunner as a finisher though.

Agreed, the stunner on Smackdown didn't look good at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Agreed, the stunner on Smackdown didn't look good at all.

There's no need for him to use the stunner, especially when his pop-up powerbomb is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Loughc wrote: »
    There's no need for him to use the stunner, especially when his pop-up powerbomb is pretty good.

When he hit it on Bryan it was more of a sit-out powerbomb which didnt look as powerful as the original way he did it. Totally agree that the stunner looked ****

I liked the stunner. It just looked like a stunner. What was missing exactly?

https://twitter.com/chilluminati__/status/1100592055334645762

Austin approved:

https://twitter.com/steveaustinBSR/status/1100822315154124801

J. Marston wrote: »
    I keep seeing people say how he looks in great shape and he's slimmed down but he looks the same to me.

Look at the depth of his gut in October and then look at it last night.

He's down 15 - 20 pounds.

Never liked the crouch down sell of the stunner.

Take it on your knees!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The stunner is a very effective way to get someone who has basically been a heel for years some love. The instant impact of it is a great pop creator, as Randall Keith knew well.

The powerbomb is a heel's finisher more often than not so I can see why they changed it up. Nothing to stop him using both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

J. Marston wrote:
    Take it on your knees!

Or Vince style slither about like an epileptic eel after basically headbutting Austin in the shoulder.
    Don't think it's a good idea to use an actual WWE Legend's signature move when you work in WWE as it always makes people think of them not the guy doing it.
    Rock Bottom, Pedigree, Mandible Claw, Stunner & Tombstone will always be associated with the guys who did it.
    Some moves like the Superkick, Frog Splash & Sharpshooter have been done by so many they are closer to the DDT & Top Rope Elbow Drop in terms of being hard to get over as signatures.

Barely watched this show properly as it seemed a bit of a thrown together this afternoon.
    Does Rey Mysterio have to go for the 619 like 500 times in every match. He & Andrade had a that match around Truth who was essentially a stand in extra.
    I doubt they'll keep Kofi hot until Mania. Personally sick to the back teeth of the company doesn't want me in this position stories with the bipolar McMahon characters. Vince to be fair is clearly losing his ability on the microphone so he is at least he is living that character.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,617 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They really should have given the Stunner to Becky if they were going to let another wrestler have it.

Becky needs that final finisher.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Don't think it's a good idea to use an actual WWE Legend's signature move when you work in WWE as it always makes people think of them not the guy doing it.
    Rock Bottom, Pedigree, Mandible Claw, Stunner & Tombstone will always be associated with the guys who did it.

This is a valid concern.

For this reason, I specifically would not have given it to Becky. She's already being heavily compared to Steve, the last thing she needs is his move.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For me, I think the stunner is a move that just doesn't work in the current frame of wrestling.

It worked fine when the other top guys finishers were an elbow, a leg drop, a superkick.

But....right, in that specific match on Smackdown, the pop-up, sit-down powerbomb looked way more vicious. It worked for Austin in the context of Austin's matches. It might grow on me, but I just thought Owen's version looked a bit weak, especially in comparisons to other moves that are more common nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,915 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It'll always be associated with Austin but I like the fact it was used as a finisher to the match. Austin liked it which helps. At least it wasn't the cena version with the springboard one which I know Austin wasn't a fan of because it made the move a transition move.

Advertisement