Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,613 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This could be serious money if they do it right.

He’s a UFC fighter so? Any wrasslin experience?

He killed Brock to win the UFC title off him the first time around.

Wrestling lately in AAA in Mexico and impressing big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Likeabossboss

Professional wrestling
    Velasquez has been a fan of professional wrestling ever since he was young. On July 19, 2018, it was reported that he trained in the WWE Performance Center under head coach Norman Smiley and later attended Diamond Dallas Page's yoga session. He also attended an NXT televised event the previous night.[62]

In March 2019, it was announced that Velasquez signed a multi-match agreement with top Mexican lucha libre promotion Lucha Libre AAA Worldwide as a heavyweight competitor. Velasquez made his debut for the promotion at Triplemanía XXVII in 6 man trios action, teaming with Cody Rhodes and Psycho Clown to take on Texano Jr, Taurus, and a mystery partner who turned out to be Killer Kross.[63] Velasquez's debut surprised many fans, as he donned a luchador mask through the whole match and displayed many athletic moves, such as using a hurricanrana. Velasquez picked up the victory for his team by submitting Texano, Jr. with a Kimura lock. Velasquez's in-ring debut received positive reviews by Dave Meltzer and many other professional wrestling journalists, as well as other professional wrestlers and American Kickboxing Academy teammate Daniel Cormier.[64]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2L_wJvbAtM

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I didn't expect much tonight but I'm actually blown away by that. They finally took the title off the mid-carder, put it on someone credible, and introduced Cain Velasquez and Tyson Fury into storylines. Two more legitimate, tough guys. Delighted to see them moving away from the silliness and more towards a serious presentation. Actual tough men who the general public would not believe they could take in a fight. This is what I want from professional wrestling. This is what I've been missing.

They've actually got me interested again in wrestling with this show tonight, which is not something I'd have believed I'd be saying earlier. Fair play whoever put this together. Now please don't blow it.

I'll be watching Eric's sports Smackdown over Paul's trashy cuckholding RAW going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thought they handled that poorly, there’s a lot of wrestling fans who don’t know a thing about Cain and they failed to show even a little bit of what he’s capable of in that segment. He really should’ve been busting Lesnar open the hard way with some elbows and made him look truly vulnerable.

Still though, great to see him in WWE and that show was a great start to the FOX era. Could’ve done with the likes of Cena and Stone Cold to round it out but a solid 8/10 nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Reddit going into meltdown over Kofi. Makes great reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Need to bring back the Lion's Den for these lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Cotts72

martyos121 wrote: »
    Thought they handled that poorly, there’s a lot of wrestling fans who don’t know a thing about Cain and they failed to show even a little bit of what he’s capable of in that segment. He really should’ve been busting Lesnar open the hard way with some elbows and made him look truly vulnerable.

Still though, great to see him in WWE and that show was a great start to the FOX era. Could’ve done with the likes of Cena and Stone Cold to round it out but a solid 8/10 nonetheless.

Who's know what cena or stone colds schedule was?? Any major fight fan knows who cain is and what his background is. Be interesting to know what his contract is going forward.. Is it a brock style or slow burn rousey rub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

J. Marston wrote: »
    I would gladly take another absentee reign over one more day of Kofi.

I'm sorry but you have to agree what ended up happening was absolute bull****.

In regards to Velasquez, I'm not a fan of this move as its just another case like Lesnar's; how can you legitimately put anyone up against this guy without it coming across as goofy (Rollins and his ridiculous infinite stomps) or predictable (the plucky indy guy puts up a good fight but is beaten)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Tyson Fury and Strownan is interesting, although Fury standing up against Lesnar would have been better i think, Was i the only 1 who had Jim Ross in my head shouting Tyson and Strowman, Tyson and Strowman

Decent episode even if Austin didnt appear, Rock in the ring with Becky emphasising her as The Man was more exposure for her, even though she didnt need it, Corbin played his part well to.

Shane and Owens was what it was.

Valasquez was just ok for me, and even if it was time for Kofi to give up the title, the way it happened was terrible for him, anyway it looks fairly obvious how this will work out but i suppose its a move that might get more eyes on the product

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Kofi was built as one of the strongest built champions since he won. Never losing clean.

And they jobbed him in three seconds, and barely let him leave the ring before Brock had moved on to his next feud.

That’s a disgusting way to handle the match tbh, and doesn’t just hurt Kofi but all the full timers he has worked with and gone over in recent months. All to put the title into someone who doesn’t need it, to get it involved in a feud between two part timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

You know I don’t like kofi losing the title like that but the anger a lot of people have over this is exactly what they have always wanted with brick.

Enjoyable show and really liked the cain angle

sky88 wrote: »
    You know I don’t like kofi losing the title like that but the anger a lot of people have over this is exactly what they have always wanted with brick.

Enjoyable show and really liked the cain angle

Except I’m seeing none of it actually aimed at Brock.

Everyone knew Brock was heavy favorite, but he won’t be “blamed” for the latest example of WWEs disdain towards long term booking.

At best, they might be able to channel it towards Cain, feed on the resentment. Except I bet he will be pushed as a face, cause god knows fans love a part timer who just caused the purist baby face they have to be screwed, booking wise.

I also want to take a breath and point out that this show also happened to pull of the “inject a real time tough guy into a wrestling story that benefits everyone” angle right last night too.

The Fury angle was brilliant. The juxtaposition to the Cain angle is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well I have to say I really enjoyed smackdown last night. Yes kofi losing was a big possibility but they could have done it better than they did. Three seconds is harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cain looks tiny compared to Lesnar now hes off the juice.

maxresdefault.jpg
    960x0.jpg?fit=scale

He needs a word in Vinces office

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Braun vs Fury and Brock vs Cain II. I'm sure lots of people are excited about it but those sure look like they are going to suck once the bell rings.

Kinda sad a fight between 2 hand puppets in a cage was longer & in a way more dramatic than a WWE title match but that's what Vince wanted so who am I to judge his creative vision.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

They should have made Cain wear a T-shirt. That flabby physique compared to Lesnar who is built like a brick and ripped makes Cain look weak already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Loughc wrote: »
    They should have made Cain wear a T-shirt. That flabby physique compared to Lesnar who is built like a brick and ripped makes Cain look weak already.

They should have this as his entrance vid

cain+beats+down+lesnar.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

The first hour was painful viewing. The Rock's charisma obviously carried the opening segment but that was some awful material. The FireFly Fun House / Fiend stuff is absolute trash.
    2nd hour was better, I'm here for Strowman v Fury and Lesnar v Velasquez. I know better by now than to tune into wwe expecting good wrestling so this kind of stuff will do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    The first hour was painful viewing. The Rock's charisma obviously carried the opening segment but that was some awful material. The FireFly Fun House / Fiend stuff is absolute trash.
    2nd hour was better, I'm here for Strowman v Fury and Lesnar v Velasquez. I know better by now than to tune into wwe expecting good wrestling so this kind of stuff will do for me.

The STD line from Rock to Corbin was embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rock shows up says what he's given and leaves. A bit like Krusty here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ERG89 wrote: »
    Rock shows up says what he's given and leaves. A bit like Krusty here.

Everything about the rock is carefully planned out he says what he wanted to

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Called him a 35 year old virgin just before that too. So which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The Rock is usually licking arse with the "comic con" fan types as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Not great not bad, very little good wrestling, standard wwe main show fare now

Feel that Kofi getting squashed was both unneccassry and poor booking.

Cain showed in a glimpse in AAA that he might be very good

Fury v Strowman, i dunno but it probably sells it for Fox

Give me NXT as wwe's main attraction any day

The 4 horsewomen was good though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I might be in the minority but I really enjoyed all of Smackdown.

The sets looked great and the crowd were into it. Everything booked well.

I loved all the Rocks stuff. Becky in there with him was great too.

I liked the Tyson Fury thing with Strowman. Fury is prefect for this kind of thing.He is meant to have an open mic now on Raw next week. Should be fun!

I'm glad Kofi lost the title. It doesn't suit him at all and hes not at that level. Never has and never will. Well he could if he has a gimmick change but that will take time. Bear in mind I do like him but hes not there. That's not a shot at him but he doesn't bring in casual fans or is very interesting at the moment.

As I like UFC as well I really liked the Cain /Lesnar thing. Lesnar selling it by looking stunned/afraid was really good. If you are still unsure why they did it, the video has 1.9M views on youtube already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

just watching now and it's a step up from the usual rap nonsense, but could they have used a worse AC/DC song for the theme music.
    and I say that as a fan of AC/DC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I think the cain thing is huge for wwe at the moment, he's an automatic draw and was highly in demand from numerous companies. This could really be a game changer in the battle with AEW

Advertisement