Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

That time of the bastard week once again good brothers and lady of the PW forum.

latest?cb=20160813135325

This weeks preview, with the first title defence of Bray Wyatt's reign as WWE Champion in the main event.

Bray Wyatt to battle John Cena in a WWE Title Rematch tonight
    In the wake of his “brother” Randy Orton winning the 2017 Royal Rumble Match, Bray Wyatt doubled down on The Wyatt Family’s chances at success by walking out of Sunday’s Elimination Chamber Match as the new WWE Champion. However, amid The Eater of Worlds’ championship celebration, the WWE Universe collectively began to ask one simple question as the pay-per-view came to a close: Does this mean Wyatt and Orton will clash at this year’s WrestleMania for the WWE Title?

It is, of course, tradition for the Royal Rumble Match winner to take on the champion of their brand on The Grandest Stage of Them All. However, there are seven weeks of SmackDown LIVE remaining on The Road to WrestleMania and, as General Manager Daniel Bryan put it perfectly on WWE Network’s Talking Smack, a lot can happen in those seven weeks.

And just like that, the circumstances may indeed be changing. It has been announced that John Cena has invoked his WWE Championship rematch clause and will challenge The New Face of Fear tonight on SmackDown LIVE! So despite all the excitement surrounding the Chamber, at the end of the day, will it be The Cenation Leader lining up to face The Viper at The Showcase of the Immortals? Could Cena make history by becoming a 17-time World Champion - surpassing WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair? You want some excitement on The Road to WrestleMania? Come get some!

Naomi is the new SmackDown Women’s Champion, but for how long?
    Though no one can question the importance of the Elimination Chamber Match, perhaps the most impressive moments in Sunday’s SmackDown LIVE pay-per-view came from the Women’s division. The female Superstars battled in three separate contests, each more intense than the one before it.

It was out of that fiery atmosphere that a new champion was crowned, as Naomi overcame Alexa Bliss to win her first SmackDown Women’s Title. However, there is no rest for the wicked, and the Wicked Witch of WWE is already clamoring to reclaim what has been taken from her. And though Nikki Bella and Natalya certainly have unfinished business with each other, and Mickie James and Becky Lynch seem to just be getting warmed up, any one of those competitors could turn their attention to the Women’s Championship in the blink of an eye – especially with The Showcase of the Immortals on the horizon. Don’t forget about Carmella, either. Although The Princess of Staten Island watched Elimination Chamber from James Ellsworth’s skybox, that doesn’t mean she won’t drop in on a moment’s notice to seize a golden opportunity.

What we’re trying to say is: Be careful what you wish for Naomi, because your test has just begun and The Road to WrestleMania is as long as it is treacherous. Watch your back.

Who will rise out of the Turmoil to challenge American Alpha?
    As SmackDown Tag Team Champions, American Alpha certainly proved their mettle in the Tag Team Turmoil Match this past Sunday at Elimination Chamber. But with WrestleMania seven weeks away, which tandem will emerge to become Chad Gable & Jason Jordan’s new No. 1 contenders?

It’s worth noting that during Talking Smack on Sunday night, Daniel Bryan did single out The Ascension, who impressed the SmackDown GM both in the pay-per-view and with their huge 12-Man Tag Team Match victory. Is this the Konnor & Viktor that WWE fans have been waiting for? Or are the tough-as-nails Usos gearing up for another showdown with the reigning titleholders? Perhaps former SmackDown Tag Team Champions Heath Slater & Rhyno?

Is Baron Corbin destined to become Intercontinental Champion?
    While possible contenders have already begun to make themselves known within the WWE Title, SmackDown Women’s Title and SmackDown Tag Team Title pictures, who is going to step up to try to take away Dean Ambrose’s Intercontinental Championship?

Certainly, based on what we saw in Sunday’s Elimination Chamber Match, the answer could very well be Baron Corbin. After The Lunatic Fringe snuck up and eliminated him, The Lone Wolf snapped and absolutely decimated the unstable Superstar – hurling him through the Lexan glass pod before planting him with End of Days.

After Corbin made such a powerful statement, one must wonder just how long it will be before The Lone Wolf sets his sights on Ambrose’s title. Then again, any of the Chamber combatants could take up that pursuit – particularly AJ Styles and The Miz, who both have no love at all for Ambrose and really seem to like championship gold. Or will another Superstar step into the mix for an opportunity at WrestleMania glory?

Will Ziggler’s aggression cost him or give him exactly what he wants?
    Guys, what exactly is to be done about Dolph Ziggler? Taking Kalisto out of action on Sunday did not allow The Showoff to prevail in a 2-on-1 Handicap Match at Elimination Chamber, but Ziggler was able to make his mark with a vicious post-match onslaught, and caused serious harm to Apollo Crews in the process. The extent of Crews’ injuries remains unclear at this point. What is clear is that someone needs to try and put Ziggler in check.

Then again, when you consider that Ziggler’s first couple of attacks on other Superstars earned him an opportunity in the Royal Rumble Match, you have to ask yourself whether the powers-that-be on SmackDown LIVE are even interested in discouraging Ziggler’s behavior. Could his action be exactly what the aggressive former World Champion needs to ultimately get him back on top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I think they should throw zinger into the tag division.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so how will the Aj Styles vs Shane Mcmahon fued start ???

not saying it will be a bad match just Styles deserves a much better Mania match instead of a glorifed OMG spot fest

Can See Miz costing Cena the title tonight kick starting that fued. Corbin winning the Intercon title off Ambrose at mania seems like its happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I think they should throw zinger into the tag division.

Now the KFC shilling has gone too far! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

PTH2009 wrote: »
    so how will the Aj Styles vs Shane Mcmahon fued start ???

not saying it will be a bad match just Styles deserves a much better Mania match instead of a glorifed OMG spot fest

Can See Miz costing Cena the title tonight kick starting that fued. Corbin winning the Intercon title off Ambrose at mania seems like its happening

I'm coming around to the idea of Styles vs. Shane actually. Think of it this way, Shane's going to have a WM match anyway, so why not have it with someone who will probably make it great? Shane-O-Mac doesn't have to do a thing to make it a good match, AJ is just that good.

• Advertisement

Seems like a solid ME tonight Wyatt vs Cena vs Styles for the title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Finishers don't mean **** anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Finishers don't mean **** anymore.

Yeah agreed. Cena and AJ had a great feud but an avalanche AA not finishing a match (after already taking a normal one) is taking the piss.

It's a form of one-upmanship that can't be sustained. I blame Taker and HBK for starting all of it. :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

On Talking Smack, they announced (following Ortons refusal to face Bray at Mania) a battle royal for next weeks show to determine a new number one contender to face Bray at Mania.

I'll give Smackdown this; they've left me genuinely curious about what's going to happen next week. Really enjoying Smackdown up and down the card.

Harper wins battle royal, Orton enters the main event to protect Bray, Orton turns on bray at WM and wins the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Brilliant triple threat match.

the crowd is going to go insane when orton eventually turns on bray.

That Randy Orton is some Snake lol

Id love if Styles won the battle royal and was in mania ME but it all points towards a Luke Harper win.

So A Wyatt Family triple threat will close mania ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Smackdown is absolutely red hot at the minute, that ending already has me dying to tune in next week. In the opening segment alone, when you hear the reactions each of them got (including Bryan for what it's worth) it just goes to show what a great job they've done of elevating the talent and making the best of what they have, and they're doing it by going back to basics and not over-complicating the storylines. I could go on about the the lack of quality in the tag team division and the poor logic in Ziggler's booking, but the show is just wonderful from top to bottom that it'd be unfair to do so.

Another random note about the end of last night's show, there was something really sinister about Orton that's been missing for a long time, just the way he's carrying himself. I bet he's really enjoying the spot he's in at the minute and it shows. In terms of a quality pro-wrestling show, Smackdown is ticking all the boxes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Bryan shouting "Jesus!" while walking away from Nikki and Nattie was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Weeks like this for both Smackdown and Raw is making me miss the fact I don't have Sky Plus anymore to watch them the next day, youtube highlights are grand for filler weeks but everything gets spoiled it the video title, for views obviously

There's still next to no chance I'd stay up til 4am on a Monday night and 3am on a Tuesday night but in the days of Sky Plus if I knew a Raw was gonna be good I'd have no trouble getting up an hour early to catch it

I'd love to see it on the network some day

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was thinking they wouldn't close Mania with a Wyatt Family triple threat, then remembered the other rumoured matches and realised it was the best option.

Though Orton should've said he would instead challenge for the Raw title and have the Wyatt family rule both brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Luke Harper doesn't deserve the spot. Just saying. Almost all of the Elimination Chamber match have had a more compelling year's work.

It's a match that belongs on the midcard. Miz has been the MVP with AJ Styles this year and it's harsh on him to get thrown into a tacky mixed tag if that's how it goes. A singles match with Cena I could live with.

It's strange what they're doing with Miz. As you say, he's been great lately yet then look how he was treated at the Rumble and Chamber. It's like he's being put in the matches to keep fans happy but being punished for some reason.
    And maybe I missed it but he was the only Chamber entrant that wasn't on Smackdown this week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It's strange what they're doing with Miz. As you say, he's been great lately yet then look how he was treated at the Rumble and Chamber. It's like he's being put in the matches to keep fans happy but being punished for some reason.
    And maybe I missed it but he was the only Chamber entrant that wasn't on Smackdown this week

really strange considering he looks like hes going into a feud with cena you would think theyd want him strong for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Harper vs Orton vs Bray WILL be a midcard match; Goldberg/Lesnar will be above it, as will Taker/Regins. It will be on even ground with Jericho/Owens and HHH/Rollins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

According to The Observer, Goldberg / Lesnar will close out Mania:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Early to bed so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gerrybbadd wrote:
    According to The Observer, Goldberg / Lesnar will close out Mania

Wasn't that blatantly obvious since November?
    I don't see anything that could go on last besides that. Maybe Cena & Taker could have but nothing out of the current rumoured lineup jumps out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

johnruns wrote: »
    Early to bed so.

The extra 5 minutes won't kill you!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Weeks like this for both Smackdown and Raw is making me miss the fact I don't have Sky Plus anymore to watch them the next day, youtube highlights are grand for filler weeks but everything gets spoiled it the video title, for views obviously

There's still next to no chance I'd stay up til 4am on a Monday night and 3am on a Tuesday night but in the days of Sky Plus if I knew a Raw was gonna be good I'd have no trouble getting up an hour early to catch it

I'd love to see it on the network some day

Cageside seats have a page each week were you can catch all the clips in order of airing, plus the title of each video is hidden so you can enjoy it spoiler free.

To avoid any spoilers from the site itself, just google "watch raw cageside seats", the first link will bring you to the page and the videos will play in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Will it be shít on again? Wrestlemania is a pretty smarky crowd and they know neither of those guys are going to be around for months at a time.

But fans seem to have taken to Goldberg in a big way during this run.

CM Punk will be laughing his ass off at this main event

It's not like there's nobody else around who deserves or is good enough for a main event spot

J. Marston wrote: »
    Will it be shít on again? Wrestlemania is a pretty smarky crowd and they know neither of those guys are going to be around for months at a time.

But fans seem to have taken to Goldberg in a big way during this run.

This time around, everyone knows the score well before so it's not like last time where the news had just broke that both guys were done with WWF after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

CM Punk will be laughing his ass off at this main event

It's not like there's nobody else around who deserves or is good enough for a main event spot

Why would CM Punk be laughing? Considering what has happened to him in the last few years he is in no position to laugh at either man.

• Advertisement

Why would CM Punk be laughing? Considering what has happened to him in the last few years he is in no position to laugh at either man.

Something he's always given out about is part timers coming in and taking the big spots at Mania and this year the main event slot looks to be going to 2 of them

Advertisement