Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i was and i wasn't :D

True ha botch central

• Registered Users Posts: 38,344 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sonya is Co GM now or whatever

Ziggler and Roode are now SD tag team champions wonderful :D:D

What a bizarre ending

Adam Pearce is number 1 contender ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Are WWE actively trying to turn fans off their own product.

The Rumble as the 2 worst Title matches planned ever.

Drew vs. Oldberg

Roman Vs Pearse

f*ck this company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Imagine a company having a roster almost overloaded with amazing talent like they have and picking Adam Pearce to challenge for the title at a PPV. WWE is so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Imagine a company having a roster almost overloaded with amazing talent like they have and picking Adam Pearce to challenge for the title at a PPV. WWE is so bad.

Former NWA champion Adam Pearce!

I like it, something completely different. None of the other possibilities sounded very enticing, as only face involved in gauntlet was Bryan and he would of just been fed to Roman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Sirsok wrote: »
    Former NWA champion Adam Pearce!

I like it, something completely different. None of the other possibilities sounded very enticing, as only face involved in gauntlet was Bryan and he would of just been fed to Roman.

Nah sorry Sirsok, there's like 400 (?) wrestlers under contract. Pick one, pick a good one. Not the retired agent.

It's probably a bait and switch anyway but seriously pro wrestling can't be as difficult as they make it look. It just can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭kksaints

Loughc wrote: »
    Are WWE actively trying to turn fans off their own product.

The Rumble as the 2 worst Title matches planned ever.

Drew vs. Oldberg

Roman Vs Pearse

f*ck this company.

Isn't there a theory that WWE tends to put on stranger title matches at the Royal Rumble because the Rumble is the main event and usually overshadows the title matches?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kksaints wrote: »
    Isn't there a theory that WWE tends to put on stranger title matches at the Royal Rumble because the Rumble is the main event and usually overshadows the title matches?

That's fine, but they could have went the Reigns KO rematch route, or even Reigns Mystero, not Adam f**king Pearse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I nearly missed that Ziggle/Roode became champs as that team makes me fast forward. Guess I'll be getting through more tag matches quicker now.

I know WWE like to change their own rules, but last night wasn't a gauntlet match. It was 5 standard matches in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'm shocked people think that Adam Pearce is actually going to challenge at the Rumble.
    I thought it was clearly set up for Shinsuke to look strong, turn face and fight Roman at the Rumble.

I really don't think the match is going to be with Pearce, could see them having Pearce carry some of the promos for Shinsuke in the build.
    Thought it was a great Smackdown tbh, interested to see where Sonya Deville goes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It was a much improved show.

Good promos (though Romans promo was off by the end), giod matches, no real negatives for once. Minor niggles if anything.

Solid if anything but still not on par with AEW Dynamite

Maybe Pearce can pick a replacement and who better than the guy who he suspended Braun Strowman

Roman is retaining eitherway so its a bit tricky

Nah sorry Sirsok, there's like 400 (?) wrestlers under contract. Pick one, pick a good one. Not the retired agent.

It's probably a bait and switch anyway but seriously pro wrestling can't be as difficult as they make it look. It just can't.

To be fair I enjoyed Bob Holly going up against Lesnar in 04 ( Agreed a bit more weight to that storyline), also loved JBL in the main event in 04 also! Maybe I just strive for something different as oppose to the bland ****e they constantly still serve up!

Sirsok wrote: »
    To be fair I enjoyed Bob Holly going up against Lesnar in 04 ( Agreed a bit more weight to that storyline), also loved JBL in the main event in 04 also! Maybe I just strive for something different as oppose to the bland ****e they constantly still serve up!

But does it not kinda say something about how nondescript they make their top stars that you're eagerly anticipating matches with wacky out of left field choices than you would be if he was against a viable challenger?

But does it not kinda say something about how nondescript they make their top stars that you're eagerly anticipating matches with wacky out of left field choices than you would be if he was against a viable challenger?

Top stars? Nah WWE don’t make stars anymore. Nor do they want do. They just want wrestlers to get popular enough for their declining audience but not transcend it.

It’s painful just how quickly they can cool talent who start to take off. See that Indy darling ye all love well next month he’ll have a dancing gimmick. New Japan darling incoming give him an foreign heel gimmick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ThePott wrote: »
    I'm shocked people think that Adam Pearce is actually going to challenge at the Rumble.
    I thought it was clearly set up for Shinsuke to look strong, turn face and fight Roman at the Rumble.

People working themselves into shoots, brother :pac:

I've really fallen off pro-wrestling in 2020, but Roman's stuff is something I check out every week now. Its so good, because it's actually fresh storytelling. That people complain shows why WWE never tries subtle, long term storytelling.

I'd put money on Nakamura taking Pearce's place. He basically got the massive babyface positioning, running the gauntlet, shows of respect from Bryan, and then getting screwed out of the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pearce is going to call up Priest as his heater/bodyguard.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Its so good, because it's actually fresh storytelling.
    This, we finally are getting some decent storytelling that doesn't have just one outcome and people are dumping on it.

• Advertisement

This, we finally are getting some decent storytelling that doesn't have just one outcome and people are dumping on it.

Jesus I genuinely wonder what the limit is of what WWE can put on TV in 2021 that people will still say "it's different" "it's good" "let it play out"

It's the equivalent of AEW booking Omega/Jerry Lynn or NJPW booking Ibushi/Milano for their World Title's on their 2nd biggest show of the year.

Jesus I genuinely wonder what the limit is of what WWE can put on TV in 2021 that people will still say "it's different" "it's good" "let it play out"

It's the equivalent of AEW booking Omega/Jerry Lynn or NJPW booking Ibushi/Milano for their World Title's on their 2nd biggest show of the year.
    Yes booking a 57 year old Jerry Lynn is the same as booking Adam Pearce.
    I'm not saying it's the right move to book it number one. I'm saying the story is good and has me invested. Number two, I don't think this is the booked match, evidenced by how it played out on TV and commentary reacted. Exactly what I said was that I'm surprised people think that this is going to be the match as based on the way it was presented, it most likely won't be.

I don't know what AEW has to do with this. WWE deserve a lot of lumps but Smackdown is a good show right now. Dynamite is still better imo and people give them plenty of leeway when they take time to tell a story, I don't know why the same can't be done here. I say that full well knowing that a lot of long term stuff in WWE doesn't pan out but this hardly even long term, there's 3 episodes before the Rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With Sonya back now, was there any news on the outcome of the case against her stalker?

Yes booking a 57 year old Jerry Lynn is the same as booking Adam Pearce.
    I'm not saying it's the right move to book it number one. I'm saying the story is good and has me invested. Number two, I don't think this is the booked match, evidenced by how it played out on TV and commentary reacted. Exactly what I said was that I'm surprised people think that this is going to be the match as based on the way it was presented, it most likely won't be.

I don't know what AEW has to do with this. WWE deserve a lot of lumps but Smackdown is a good show right now. Dynamite is still better imo and people give them plenty of leeway when they take time to tell a story, I don't know why the same can't be done here. I say that full well knowing that a lot of long term stuff in WWE doesn't pan out but this hardly even long term, there's 3 episodes before the Rumble.

Isn't it? Lynn's last match was 2013, Pearce 2014 and Lynn is a much bigger name and has achieved far more in ring than Pearce ever did. Maybe it isn't the booked match, maybe that's Nakamura but the booking to get to that has also been convoluted and nonsensical given Nakamura's positioning on the card and matches he's lost in the lead up.

It's a comparison. You could replace AEW with the name of any functioning wrestling company in history and the comparison is the same.

Simple reason, we've been burned far too many times by modern WWE. "Give it time" and there's either no pay off or the pay off is beyond awful. I'd say I could think of a dozen examples of that that have taken place in the last 3 or 4 years.

And I don't know why that's letting them off the hook that there's only 3 episodes to go before the Rumble. It's their 2nd biggest show of the year! They know when it is! Why would I give them a bye because they haven't had the foresight to prepare someone (anyone) for a World Title match on their 2nd biggest show of the year (!!) aside from road agent and former ROH booker Adam Pearce. If anything, that's a stick you should be beating them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With Sonya back now, was there any news on the outcome of the case against her stalker?

Depositions for the case from witnesses Sonya, Mandy and Sonya's neighbor will be taken next month and a trial won't happen till at least June.

Isn't it? Lynn's last match was 2013, Pearce 2014 and Lynn is a much bigger name and has achieved far more in ring than Pearce ever did. Maybe it isn't the booked match, maybe that's Nakamura but the booking to get to that has also been convoluted and nonsensical given Nakamura's positioning on the card and matches he's lost in the lead up.
    Okay fair, retirement wise. Although I did mean that from a presentation point of view Adam Pearce isn't all that old and has been on WWE Tv in a way Jerry Lynn has not. I'm not saying the booking has been consistent or sensical just that the story is interesting, I don't know why that's hard to understand, I've said that since the start.
    It's a comparison. You could replace AEW with the name of any functioning wrestling company in history and the comparison is the same.
    I'm saying it's not apt as Pearce at least has a presence and place in the story on TV in a way neither Milano or Lynn do.
    Simple reason, we've been burned far too many times by modern WWE. "Give it time" and there's either no pay off or the pay off is beyond awful. I'd say I could think of a dozen examples of that that have taken place in the last 3 or 4 years.

And I don't know why that's letting them off the hook that there's only 3 episodes to go before the Rumble. It's their 2nd biggest show of the year! They know when it is! Why would I give them a bye because they haven't had the foresight to prepare someone (anyone) for a World Title match on their 2nd biggest show of the year (!!) aside from road agent and former ROH booker Adam Pearce. If anything, that's a stick you should be beating them with.
    I literally said that their long term storytelling is often a dead end. The logic you have though of literally not having a story immediately resolved in a close ended fashion means that you're literally asking for a dead end. The episode basically ended in a cliffhanger and you're complaining that you're not sure how it's going to end which is exactly the point. Which is why plenty of people, me included think it is a good story because we don't know where it's going to lead. Most likely imo it won't be with Adam Pearce challenging. The reason I bring up the 3 weeks is that as far as long term storytelling goes, it won't be that long so you will get your answer soon.
    prepare someone (anyone) for a World Title match on their 2nd biggest show of the year (!!) aside from road agent and former ROH booker Adam Pearce. If anything, that's a stick you should be beating them with.
    Do you seriously watch the show by the way? Kevin Owens has an argument to challenge for the title after Jey Uso has interfered twice costing him his chance and now they've sidelined him with an attack. Shinsuke has an argument for a title show now and how is Pearce going to factor into this? So right there we have at least two potential opponents and a big question mark over what Adam Pearce is going to do. Yet for some reason you just decided to say hey Adam is going to challenge ignoring all other factors. This isn't you WWE failing at storytelling, it's you refusing to read the story.

Now will it pay off in a satisfying way, maybe not but writing it off immediately will guarantee you won't be satisfied. You're being worked dude, they want you to be pissed that Adam Pearce is getting a title shot that Roman is taking the cowards way out and you can twist it whatever way you'd like to blame the writers or booking or whatever but they got the result they wanted, you're mad about a story and I bet you'll be back to see how it plays out.

I agree somewhat but if they went and fed Nakamura or Zayn or indeed Bryan to Reigns WWE would be slughtered aswell.

A few complained about McAfee kicking Cole in the head and knocking him out, but McAfee did great, had a fun match and a decent run.

Im just glad to see Pearce is all and seems like a fun out of left field storyline.

Now bring Abyss in for a match and Ill be happy.

Lockdown 05 v Aj Styles was always a particukar favourite of mine. As his fued with Sabu in TNA. I remember being so so excited by prospect of the barb wire match at the time.

Gosh old school TNA was great! Would love a short Abyss run as a thanks for your service type deal.

Also Lynn v Omega would be a fun throwaway bout no doubt. Rocky 6-esque

Okay fair, retirement wise. Although I did mean that from a presentation point of view Adam Pearce isn't all that old and has been on WWE Tv in a way Jerry Lynn has not. I'm not saying the booking has been consistent or sensical just that the story is interesting, I don't know why that's hard to understand, I've said that since the start.

I'm saying it's not apt as Pearce at least has a presence and place in the story on TV in a way neither Milano or Lynn do.

I literally said that their long term storytelling is often a dead end. The logic you have though of literally not having a story immediately resolved in a close ended fashion means that you're literally asking for a dead end. The episode basically ended in a cliffhanger and you're complaining that you're not sure how it's going to end which is exactly the point. Which is why plenty of people, me included think it is a good story because we don't know where it's going to lead. Most likely imo it won't be with Adam Pearce challenging. The reason I bring up the 3 weeks is that as far as long term storytelling goes, it won't be that long so you will get your answer soon.

Do you seriously watch the show by the way? Kevin Owens has an argument to challenge for the title after Jey Uso has interfered twice costing him his chance and now they've sidelined him with an attack. Shinsuke has an argument for a title show now and how is Pearce going to factor into this? So right there we have at least two potential opponents and a big question mark over what Adam Pearce is going to do. Yet for some reason you just decided to say hey Adam is going to challenge ignoring all other factors. This isn't you WWE failing at storytelling, it's you refusing to read the story.

Now will it pay off in a satisfying way, maybe not but writing it off immediately will guarantee you won't be satisfied. You're being worked dude, they want you to be pissed that Adam Pearce is getting a title shot that Roman is taking the cowards way out and you can twist it whatever way you'd like to blame the writers or booking or whatever but they got the result they wanted, you're mad about a story and I bet you'll be back to see how it plays out.

I like my wrestling booking to make sense and if you think it's interesting then more power to you but I'm struggling to find a way in which that storyline would lead to anyone saying "gee can't wait to see where this goes"

And yet it's currently a non wrestler booked in a title match.

It's gotten to the point where even just the willingness to tell a story merits praise? Just because they're attempting to tell a story doesn't mean the story is any good! And maybe it won't end with Pearce challenging, though if you can point me to anyone on the Snackdown side that they've built as a legitimate challenger then be my guest because I see nobody.

I see enough to know that Reigns has already beaten Owens twice (?) in the last month and Nakamura is now a career mid carder. I don't think it's asking that much for a company to have a decent challenger lined up for the 2nd biggest show of the year but maybe I'm wrong and that's just fine and acceptable these days.

I can assure you wholeheartedly, my investment in WWE has never been lower. And who sees Roman Reigns and their first thought is cowardly heel champion? Seriously how is that the direction you go with that guy?

Also the left field thing to me is a cover for we've not got anything else. Maybe Lynn/Omega would be fun, maybe Reigns/Pearce will be fun. But not a World Title match at the Rumble.

And finally I'll say this. None of it matters, they don't care how dumb it is. WWE is not only the only wrestling company I can think of where the more attention you pay it, the less enjoyable it is, it's the only media output I can think of that does that. If you pay it any heed at all, if you think about it at all, your enjoyment goes down rather than up. Let's see who Reigns actually wrestles at the Rumble and let's see how it works.

• Advertisement

I would say over the years my investment in WWE has decreased to depressing values.

From someone who used to order PPV on box office pretending to be my dad and fearing his wrath ever month the bill came to the house, dropping their first paycheck on WWE dvds, setting up the VPN to get network when it released to now being a person who sometimes reads the results of raw smackdown nxt on what culture.

With all that said occasionally something comes outta left field that piques my interest. Maybe it os depressing to say, but as i mentioned earlier feeding naka, or owens to reigns doesnt interest me being in the scene to just be a feeder.

This is Something truly different does, becaise it deviates from the norm and you dont know what the actual result maybe.

Its a sorry state of affairs to be honest and i would love to be engaged all the time, but sadly that isnt the case.

So when something garners my interest , I kind of have to give it props because otherwise you would just feel numb watching it.

That said I felt the same as Line of Beutey when the Firefly Funhouse segments started.

As someone qho works in videography i was shocked that something like thw muscleman dance made t to air and so many people enjoyed it.

Swings and roundabouts i suppose

Advertisement