Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Smackdown roster currently has 22 active male wrestlers and 7 female wrestlers.

That’s grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Loughc wrote: »
    The Smackdown roster currently has 22 active male wrestlers and 7 female wrestlers.

That’s grim.

No better time to punt a few stale NXT wrestlers in there. Gargano and Ciampa I'm looking at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,027 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will The Usos reclaim the tag team titles or Jey turn on Jimmy for Roman?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The turn is too obvious anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,234 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Romans tracksuit top is pretty sweet tbf

• Advertisement

Lovely a ref hicup costing the Usos the match

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Loughc wrote: »

That’s grim.

This being very evident tonight when we’re getting the same match twice in the one show!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭ThePott

The Roman stuff is excellent, he's just on another level. Interested to see where the story goes with the Usos. Saw a suggestion I liked which was that Jey and Roman win the belts and leave Jimmy out of it.

Rest of the show was hit and miss. The Shinsuke/Corbin stuff which I liked is starting to get into a holding pattern. Same with KO and Apollo and it's going into yet another Sami/KO feud. I swear Big E is going to come back and just go straight back into a feud with Apollo. They awkwardly brought Liv back as a singles and she immediately lost, excellent stuff.

The roster definitely seems more sparse than it is but they're not doing their best job of hiding it. Could do with a shake-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They were using Liv's old video and music but not much time to change her gear. Did they even mention her time as part of a team apart from saying she's on her own now?
    And Carmella saying she's the most beautiful in WWE when we have Nia? :rolleyes:

Seeing the promo for In Your House made me think how could they not have Bayley there just for a "Ding Dong Hello" segment?
    Dunno where they're going with that laugh. Alexa has already done the Harley bit so maybe she can be Joker or Punchline.

Any word on how ticket sales are going for the live shows?

Had a look at the Smackdown roster and 22 male as said but I count 9 female, including Sonya, though I guess Sasha and Mia's disappearances bring it to 7. And with Tamina and Nattie on both shows I guess they could be taken out as well. Not like there is a team on Smackdown for them to face.
    So that leaves Carmella, Liv, Bayley and Bianca. Which means we pretty much saw the entire female roster this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1401054530704396288

Have to agree with VOW, the bits I've seen of the Reigns stuff are very overrated.

• Advertisement

Did they reveal who took Rey out last week?

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1401054530704396288

Have to agree with VOW, the bits I've seen of the Reigns stuff are very overrated.

That's just being intentionally simplistic, for the most part I think they've got the pacing of the story spot on.

I mean this is what we've been crying out for, a long term storyline that will possibly span 2 full years and they've kept it moving nicely.

They'll pull the trigger soon on the next stage which is either Jey turning on Roman or Jimmy, hopefully the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They pissed away so many years of Roman being a clown when they could've had this Roman.

Voices of Wrestling are more toxic than Meltzer.

Is that guy with Nakamura actually playing the Guitar ? if so he's handy enough

even with the small selection of appearances last night, it was a decent episode and miles better than Raw

Seems Roman is going up against Rey and Dominik now. Not the worst if its only for a short time to kill a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,789 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    They pissed away so many years of Roman being a clown when they could've had this Roman.

That’s what makes it even more annoying is that vince had a guy who be as good as this if handled right and for some daft reason he forgot the rock rule, which is to turn an annoying baby face that the fans aren’t buying heel and reset him and go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

J. Marston wrote: »

I disagree on your VoW take. Joe and Rich are two very honest guys who tell it like it is, whether I agree with them or not. What so toxic about them?

I find them fairer than most.

I disagree with VoW here , but I completely see their POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

WWE can't win. It's obviously a very slow burning storyline that they probably have a 12-18 month plan for.
    When WWE shoe-horn guys into storylines and wrap them up in 2-3 months, the web is up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

WWE can't win. It's obviously a very slow burning storyline that they probably have a 12-18 month plan for.
    When WWE shoe-horn guys into storylines and wrap them up in 2-3 months, the web is up in arms.

Romans story is the best thing WWE are doing in recent memory.... a low bar I know. But I enjoy it not being rushed, and its all the better for it.

One of the few positives in WWE.

Might be on my own but I think the story should culminate in Jey beating Roman for the title. The guy has earned it with his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I disagree on your VoW take. Joe and Rich are two very honest guys who tell it like it is, whether I agree with them or not. What so toxic about them?

I find them fairer than most.

I disagree with VoW here , but I completely see their POV.

I don't even care about their opinion on the Roman stuff. They're allowed to not like storylines.

Stuff like calling Black a "dork" and an "indoctrinated fool" just because he doesn't hate Vince and WWE is just childish shít and one glance at their twitter sees them saying stuff like "Eat shít, nerd" to randoms. They seem like a pair of clowns.

But their Alvarez-lite shtick appeals to those who love "tAkEs".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Some of the responses and replies on the tweet are gas, seems some of the Reigns/WWE fans on there are very sensitive about anybody who doesn't agree that this is the best storyline in wrestling.

They didn't even say it was bad, just that it's overrated. Best storyline in wrestling or overrated, both are valid opinions, it's just funny to see some people get so mad about it!

Might be on my own but I think the story should culminate in Jey beating Roman for the title. The guy has earned it with his work.

I'd like to see Cesaro get a title reign but I agree Jey deserves a push pay off too as he has been great

Will it be Reigns vs. Rey and or Dominick in HIAC, Reigns on his own challenging for the tag titles or USOs vs. Rey and Dominick

I did laugh at Reigns supposedly not knowing Jey from Jimmy despite their obvious different shirts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,513 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Cesaro get a title reign but I agree Jey deserves a push pay off too as he has been great

Will it be Reigns vs. Rey and or Dominick in HIAC, Reigns on his own challenging for the tag titles or USOs vs. Rey and Dominick

I did laugh at Reigns supposedly not knowing Jey from Jimmy despite their obvious different shirts :pac:

Wonder if we might get Reigns on his own against the Mysterios on Smackdown, with Jey interfering to save Roman, and then Roman and Jey against the Mysterios at Hell in a Cell, with Jimmy left out.

I thought dripping was John Morrison's thing

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I thought dripping was John Morrison's thing

Cesaro was stripping Seth tonight :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭ThePott

As much as it's a throw away programme and a little out of nowhere that beatdown at the end got me pretty invested in a Rey/Reigns feud. Him not picking up the mic and tossing Dominik out of the ring (yeah I know there was a crash pad off camera) was unreal. I know every week I say the Reigns stuff is excellent and it can get tiring saying it but he's an amazing heel, loved him getting into it with Jimmy as well, he's on another level.

Surprisingly liked the Carmella/Liv match as much as there's a hum of the Attitude Era Diva stuff about it, I think Liv has great potential.
    The Montez/Gable match was really solid and liked the beatdown by Otis at the end. Although seemed like the ending was a little botched. I think Montez would make a great singles wrestler some day, I would like if the Alpha Academy gave me a bit more to get invested in though.
    Ding Dong Hello segment could have done with a bit of a trim but did like the inevitable beatdown by Cesaro especially him wrecking Rollin's suit.

On the other hand some negatives.
    The tag match at the start was thrown together. Feels like they don't know what to do with the four involved at all.
    Nakamura/Corbin starting to feel like a stale repeat and doesn't seem like it's going to lead to a King of the Ring tournament.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ThePott wrote: »
    As much as it's a throw away programme and a little out of nowhere that beatdown at the end got me pretty invested in a Rey/Reigns feud. Him not picking up the mic and tossing Dominik out of the ring (yeah I know there was a crash pad off camera) was unreal. I know every week I say the Reigns stuff is excellent and it can get tiring saying it but he's an amazing heel, loved him getting into it with Jimmy as well, he's on another level.

Surprisingly liked the Carmella/Liv match as much as there's a hum of the Attitude Era Diva stuff about it, I think Liv has great potential.
    The Montez/Gable match was really solid and liked the beatdown by Otis at the end. Although seemed like the ending was a little botched. I think Montez would make a great singles wrestler some day, I would like if the Alpha Academy gave me a bit more to get invested in though.
    Ding Dong Hello segment could have done with a bit of a trim but did like the inevitable beatdown by Cesaro especially him wrecking Rollin's suit.

On the other hand some negatives.
    The tag match at the start was thrown together. Feels like they don't know what to do with the four involved at all.
    Nakamura/Corbin starting to feel like a stale repeat and doesn't seem like it's going to lead to a King of the Ring tournament.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Was a very good Smackdown with the exceptions you've listed. Reigns is awesome and that ending with the powerbomb from the ring spot was class. Agreed on the bit with him not picking up the mic, I thought that was so well done. I had a little giggle about Heyman pulling one from his belt too :D

Smackdown has a few interesting undercard, non-title feuds as well in Cesaro/Rollins, Street Profits/Alpha Academy.

Raw is a desolate wasteland of awfulness but I watch Smackdown every week, mainly for Reigns tbh but I cannot understand how one show can be booked so well (relatively speaking), and the other just a mess that nobody really cares about anymore.

Shouldn't Carmella be introduced as "The self proclaimed most beautiful..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Nakamura/Corbin is beyond stale at this point, wrestling each other on the 4 previous Smackdowns. Is there an endgame involved for the 2 of them, or are they destined to be wheeled out week after week after week.

Advertisement