Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sky88 wrote: »
    i think his wife is a heiress as well so im sure hes living the dream doing whatever he wants.

Money marries money

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With Naomi having to relinquish due to injury, how many is that now that has had to do the same lately? The likes of Bryan, Balor and Rollins. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ambrose too.

Oh wait, he just doesn't bother defending it.

Edit: Out of interest, I checked when his last defence was and it was 24/1/2017. So he should be relinquishing the belt any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

They defend them in house shows though so technically they are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ambrose too.

Edit: Out of interest, I checked when his last defence was and it was 24/1/2017. So he should be relinquishing the belt any day now.
    Sure the rules are all over the place in WWE. Sure refs calling for breaks when lads get to the ropes in no DQ or triple treat matches ? No sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ambrose too.

Sure the rules are all over the place in WWE. Sure refs calling for breaks when lads get to the ropes in no DQ or triple treat matches ? No sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Count outs as well sometimes a guy rolling back into the ring breaks the count sometimes it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

latest?cb=20160725135134

Another Tuesday good brothers and sister, another Smackdown Live, the only WWE show that doesn't feel like a chore of sitting down to watch..

Anyways, here's this weeks preview, starting with a rematch from last week.

AJ Styles to battle Luke Harper for the right to face Bray Wyatt at WrestleMania
    When 2017 Royal Rumble Match winner Randy Orton declared that he will not challenge WWE Champion Bray Wyatt at WrestleMania as long as Wyatt is the master and he is the servant, SmackDown LIVE General Manager Daniel Bryan set up a 10-Man Battle Royal to determine who would take on The New Face of Fear on The Grandest Stage of Them All.

However, after that Battle Royal ended in controversy — with officials unable to reach a consensus on whether Styles and Harper hit the floor simultaneously at the end of the match — Bryan announced on WWE Talking Smack that the competitors will collide one-on-one to ultimately determine the WWE Championship No. 1 contender.

Who will prevail and cash his ticket to Orlando, Florida?

What will happen when John Cena comes to “Miz TV” tonight?
    During the 10-Man WWE Championship No. 1 Contender’s Battle Royal on last week’s SmackDown LIVE, John Cena ultimately eliminated The Miz. Not to be outdone, The A-Lister later snuck back into the action and eliminated Cena.

In what will surely add fuel to the fire, Miz’s wife Maryse got a little too close to a Falls Count Anywhere Match between Nikki Bella and Natalya, attacking Cena’s girlfriend with a pipe.

It was later announced on WWE Talking Smack that The Leader of the Cenation will be the special guest on “The Most Must-See Talk Show in WWE History” tonight on SmackDown LIVE. Considering the turbulent events on the latest episode of the blue brand, the interview will be anything but peaceful.

Becky Lynch to battle Mickie James in a 2-out-of-3 Falls Match
    Since the Brand Extension, SmackDown LIVE’s Women’s division has been taking WWE by storm. Case in point: Last week, Naomi struck the emotional chord of the WWE Universe when she was forced to surrender the SmackDown Women’s Championship due to injury. Alexa Bliss recaptured the illustrious prize by overcoming Becky Lynch in a knock-down, drag-out battle, before Mickie James tried to take out The Irish Lass Kicker. In a Falls Count Anywhere Match that could have been a main event at any SmackDown LIVE pay-per-view, Nikki Bella went to war against Natalya before Maryse opted to add a vicious pipe assault into the mix.

Tonight is already shaping up to be just as good, as Becky goes one-on-one against Mickie in a 2-out-of-3 Falls Match.

Will Apollo Crews get retribution on Dolph Ziggler in a Chairs Match?
    After being attacked by Dolph Ziggler with a steel chair at Elimination Chamber, Apollo Crews will return to SmackDown LIVE tonight to take on The Showoff in a Chairs Match. But is he stepping back into the squared circle too soon? Will his thirst for retribution be enough to counter the aggressive nature of Ziggler? Or is he simply putting the rest of his career in jeopardy?

SKY SPORTS 5, 01:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

One thing I love about Smackdown is you always know a match like Styles Harper is happening from watching the previous show

It gives you a bit of time to actually get invested in the match, rather than matches being announced 2 hours before Raw or during it, even a simple Raw match like Joe Cesaro could have done with being advertised a bit beforehand and give it a bit of hype and make it seem a big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

One thing I love about Smackdown is you always know a match like Styles Harper is happening from watching the previous show

It gives you a bit of time to actually get invested in the match, rather than matches being announced 2 hours before Raw or during it, even a simple Raw match like Joe Cesaro could have done with being advertised a bit beforehand and give it a bit of hype and make it seem a big deal

That's Raw for you, it's been blowing builds since at least it became 3 hours. Cesaro and Sheamus' feud recently was quite good...imagine what it might have been had they not given that match away about a zillion times a few years ago on Raw every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    That's Raw for you, it's been blowing builds since at least it became 3 hours. Cesaro and Sheamus' feud recently was quite good...imagine what it might have been had they not given that match away about a zillion times a few years ago on Raw every week.

Or how Sami Zayn and KO had their final match last July...........other than the 2/3 random Raw matches that served no purpose

That's the trouble with a lot of Raw, scenes and matches serves no purpose unlike Smackdown where everything matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

That's a solid card. I might watch the full show tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, the funny thing about Raw is that if everyone was nice to each other throughout the night, it would be a much shorter show due to lack of matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

People need to watch that Cena/Miz promo. Brilliant.

Well, until Maryse and Nikki got involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

People need to watch that Cena/Miz promo. Brilliant.

Well, until Maryse and Nikki got involved.

Couldn't agree more. Probably the best segment since the brand split, and the fact that it was building up a mixed tag that a lot of people were apathetic about just makes it even more impressive.

It's all about Cena and Miz, the women were just sort of....there.

Don't even know what to say about that closing segment, other than that it's one of the best things I've ever seen in WWE. That genuinely gave me chills. That smile on Orton's face at the end was pure, unadulterated evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm only able to read snippets here in work. I take it Orton turned on Bray and said he's coming for the title now? What reason did he give for giving up his title shot initially? And now it's a 3 way? Fill me in Marty!

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm only able to read snippets here in work. I take it Orton turned on Bray and said he's coming for the title now? What reason did he give for giving up his title shot initially? And now it's a 3 way? Fill me in Marty!

Please don't read anymore, do yourself a favour and stay off the internet until you see the segment. It was that damn good, and I don't think I'm overselling it.

If you want the general idea of what happened though.....
    a double turn I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Omackeral wrote: »

I think we will see Shane revoke AJ's title match now that Orton will use his title shot. It makes very little sense to insert Styles into the Orton/Wyatt feud.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Orton burning down the compound was hilarious. Like they were going between cheesy & serious. The back & forth camera, the selling at ringside by Wyatt & the pose. Probably should have waited to turn at Mania. Sister abigail to Harper who rolls out of the ring & then Bray turns into an RKO for a big pop.
    Didn't notice the double turn, the reaction was tepid. Orton is going for the babyface arsonist gimmick.
    Typical rah rah Cena promo where he talks about being doubted, belittles the opponent verbally & doesn't get talked backed to. It's a 66% Stephanie promo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

martyos121 wrote: »
    Don't even know what to say about that closing segment, other than that it's one of the best things I've ever seen in WWE. That genuinely gave me chills. That smile on Orton's face at the end was pure, unadulterated evil.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Please don't read anymore, do yourself a favour and stay off the internet until you see the segment. It was that damn good, and I don't think I'm overselling it.

I just watched it. You kinda over sold it! It was a bit goofy like. Far from the best thing ever for me! Seemed a little bit like a corny horror movie but very very fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was half expecting Broken Matt Hardy to walk out through the flames at the end rising from the ashes of Sister Abigail.

A great opening with the Miz and Cena and a great closing with Orton and Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

pretty cool ending and Randy Orton is so evil lol

When Bray loses the title will this be the end of the Bray Wyatt character as his powers seem to be gone with Sister Abigal soul destroyed ???. I wonder what they will do with Bray for the next month

Can see Aj Styles losing his title shot and we will get Shane vs AJ instead. Would of loved to see a triple threat for the title but looking like Wyatt vs Orton now. How will Harper and Rowan (who is cleared to return) fit into this

This Cena/Nikki vs Miz/Maryse thing could be good and will feature a lot of promos where they slate each other

Corbin vs Ambrose will be good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The Orton thing was ok. Cheesy as hell.

Was all going well until he started doing his Randy pose in front of the burning building.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The Orton thing was ok. Cheesy as hell.

Was all going well until he started doing his Randy pose in front of the burning building.

While I did think the whole thing was incredible, that bit definitely wasn't needed alright. The show should've closed with him smiling maniacallly into the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    pretty cool ending and Randy Orton is so evil lol

Those poor worms fairly got it! LSIMHBIWFEFMTALOL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Miz/Cena's promos were great -- and suddenly went downhill when they involved the women. Kinda terrifying, are they really doing the tag match at Mania? Cena just said "I wish I was wrestling Taker but I'm not" :(

Orton's promo was so weird, it was semi-live, they had this mood music to emphasise his points, and cut to different footage (supposedly decaying dirt with worms etc) .....I've no idea what to make of it, as ERG89 said it was straddling serious and cheesy.

I don't understand the face turn a few weeks after leaving the Rumble #1 contender's spot though. How is Randy getting it back? (Was this explained?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

the randy segement cheesy and rediclous and it was everything i love about wrestling segments. it was absurd but somehow worked for me

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Miz/Cena's promos were great -- and suddenly went downhill when they involved the women. Kinda terrifying, are they really doing the tag match at Mania? Cena just said "I wish I was wrestling Taker but I'm not" :(

Orton's promo was so weird, it was semi-live, they had this mood music to emphasise his points, and cut to different footage (supposedly decaying dirt with worms etc) .....I've no idea what to make of it, as ERG89 said it was straddling serious and cheesy.

I don't understand the face turn a few weeks after leaving the Rumble #1 contender's spot though. How is Randy getting it back? (Was this explained?)

I didn't see it as a face turn at all, but I guess it can be interpreted a number of ways at this point. I felt it was a double turn, Orton turned on Bray but did so in the most heinous and cruel way possible, to the point where I started to feel sorry for Bray weeping in the ring as some nutjob exhumed the remains of his sister and burned his sanctuary down.

Now is this the effect they were trying to achieve? I don't know, but it makes me look forward to next week's show to get the answer, and that's the important thing from their point of view.

I just don't know how they could portray Orton as a face after that though, Wyatt hasn't really done anything all that bad to deserve something like it. I have faith in Smackdown's creative team to acknowledge that. You can't burn down someone's home and still be a good guy, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

So is going to be Bray v Randy v AJ at wrestlemania hope so that has the makings of a good matchup.

Advertisement