Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The thing I enjoy about Smackdown is that stories have a little bit more depth to them. Not much. But a little.

So Orton/Bray might be bat-**** insane, but at least they've tried to do something different with the story. Cena/Miz actually has character motivations and a plot. Styles and Shane actually have legit reasons for feeling the way they do. In all three feuds, it's not just a bland "we're gonna fight because we're scheduled to fight" situation.

Right, there's missteps. The fact that Corbin/Ambrose didn't get a second of screentime this week on a go-home show is unforgivable, especially with how hot Ambrose is. The women's match does seem a bit generic of a feud, and they blew their load early with Naomi's return (though I'm guessing thats down to the match being moved to the preshow and them wanting people to actually see her return, and the crowd seemed happy with her).

But its only the tag division that seems to have had zero attempts to build something good over the last 6 weeks. Smackdown just feels like its working harder to present stories that are somewhat unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The thing I enjoy about Smackdown is that stories have a little bit more depth to them. Not much. But a little.

So Orton/Bray might be bat-**** insane, but at least they've tried to do something different with the story. Cena/Miz actually has character motivations and a plot. Styles and Shane actually have legit reasons for feeling the way they do. In all three feuds, it's not just a bland "we're gonna fight because we're scheduled to fight" situation.

Right, there's missteps. The fact that Corbin/Ambrose didn't get a second of screentime this week on a go-home show is unforgivable, especially with how hot Ambrose is. The women's match does seem a bit generic of a feud, and they blew their load early with Naomi's return (though I'm guessing thats down to the match being moved to the preshow and them wanting people to actually see her return, and the crowd seemed happy with her).

But its only the tag division that seems to have had zero attempts to build something good over the last 6 weeks. Smackdown just feels like its working harder to present stories that are somewhat unique.

The mixed tag and AJ/Shane are two matches that, when first rumoured received a lukewarm (being generous there) reaction. But, given how well both have been built, they are probably the two matches I'm most interested in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Corbin and Ambrose were on talking smack.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Corbin and Ambrose were on talking smack.

Figured they probably were, but I'd confidently wager 95% of the Smackdown audience never watches that show. I love Smackdown, and even I just stick to 1 minute clips from Reddit.

If they were moved to the pre-show, I'd understand. It's weird they gave the women a tonne of time for their pre-show, but couldn't fit a single segment in for the main show match...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm still disappointed we're not getting a WM match with AJ and a proper wrestler. Him against someone like Joe or Zayn, or even Cena again would be MotY worthy.

But at the same time the build and the opponent suggests WWE are very high on him. AJ/Shane bits have been the opening of closing segments on Smackdown so often that it's obvious they see it as their top feud. And Shane is a draw in his own right. They wouldn't put him in a match with someone they weren't keen on.

I know there was some pessimism even when Styles won the championship. Summer/off season champ, they're not behind him etc. I think this feud, and everything AJ has done since beating Cena at Summerslam shows how much WWE rates him.

So please, Vince. Give us AJ/Nak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Watching that Miz and Maryse sketch I felt like Homer watching Burns and Smithers's sitcom. LOOK OUT NIKKI!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

American Alpha were tag champs last week now they aren't even getting a rematch at mania and will instead be in the Andre Battle Royal... meh I honestly don't care but thats cos they don't care (or more appropriately haven't cared cos I'm sure that'll change) about the tag division. Though the match vs The Usos last week was actually very good.

They gave the women plenty of time alright and I gotta say Naomi got a great reaction and would be my current favorite to regain her title but I'd also agree that they probably had her return on SD because of the pre show switch which may also mean there won't be anyone else showing up... so weird that they are still talking about not knowing what type of match they will have tho. I mean in kayfabe terms Have Shane & D.Bryan been that distracted for the past few weeks by AJ that they didn't notice the announcers constantly referring to how they didn't know what type of match they'd have at the companies biggest show of the year.

That said I do feel the build for most of the other matches on SD has been good even if they were not the matches we wanted. Cena & The Miz have done great work with their match for example and have turned a match nobody cared about into one everyone will watch even though I still feel like it's kinda Cena giving Nikki a present in someways (esp if the rumored conclusion to the story comes to pass). She just really seems to be enjoying being involved in a John Cena level program and that would never happen in any other form than what we are currently seeing.

On top of all that.... Luke Haper changed his shirt! (I hope they give him a decent push after mania)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The Miz is just great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Jeez i hope the miz wins this match on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Miz is the best heel of the last few years in WWE. From memory, any big heel that WWE have had recently has managed to gather a vocal minority (majority in Styles cases) that cheers them despite them being the baddie. Miz manages to be entertaining and keep almost everyone against him at the same time. I think he should get a title run after Mania.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Wouldn't be surprised if Miz and Maryse win but John still pops the question. Joy out of sorrow and all of that. Would probably make the proposal more authentic.

I found that Dean and Corbin segment bizarre. I like Dean but he spent 3 minutes just taking a dump on Corbin....and not the kind of dump that makes his opponent look good. Really strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ben Gadot wrote:
    Wouldn't be surprised if Miz and Maryse win but John still pops the question.

Hope so Miz deserves a main event push but they won't.
    Its probably been said but Luke Harper is in some shape now.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if Miz and Maryse win but John still pops the question. Joy out of sorrow and all of that. Would probably make the proposal more authentic.

I found that Dean and Corbin segment bizarre. I like Dean but he spent 3 minutes just taking a dump on Corbin....and not the kind of dump that makes his opponent look good. Really strange.

A Miz win followed by a proposal would be brilliant for Miz. He gets his win but Cena STILL gets the glory and the attention? He'd feed off that character motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was thinking the same. Cena had always got the last word and put the Miz down. Miz needs to prove him wrong. Hoping if Cena proposes that the fans start No chants. Reminded of Randy proposing to Liz back in the day.
    Didn't know Miz was on Total Divas. It's he The Miz character or the version we saw in the doc with his parents?

So what type of match could the women have with 6 of them? Gauntlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Would probably make the proposal more authentic

I'm half hoping it doesn't happen just to see Nikki Bella's reaction

I wonder is she actually expecting it or if it's already been done in private and the one at Mania is for show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I'd hope it's already done, otherwise oul John boy doing nothing to fan the flames of being all business as Miz has been saying. :P

If I remember right Liz and Randy were already married a while before they did the live proposal and marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'm half hoping it doesn't happen just to see Nikki Bella's reaction

I wonder is she actually expecting it or if it's already been done in private and the one at Mania is for show

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. There's no way they'd be pushing this whole non-marriage issue into the feud if a proposal at Mania wasn't a sure thing. They've built it up way too much for it to go any other way.

Wonder if it'll get the attention WWE wants from it, in pop culture that could be the talking point coming out of Mania nevermind what else happens on the card

So what was the excuse for no Mauro this week?

The SD tag titles aren't even being defended at Mania? That's a joke

Luke Harper's music sounds familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So what was the excuse for no Mauro this week?

The SD tag titles aren't even being defended at Mania? That's a joke

Luke Harper's music sounds familiar.

Apparently dealing with the depression/bipolar combo.

• Advertisement

Yeah just saw that. I really should've googled before asking. :o

It'll be a pity if he's not at Mania

There'll probably be some big moments that'll be replayed from the blue brand in years to come and it'll be a pity if he's not the voice behind AJ/Shane or the WWE title match

But if he's got his issues it's good he's dealing with them, just hope WWE don't blacklist him for it wouldn't surprise me

Surely Vince ISN'T THAT PETTY that'd he blacklist Mauro just for dealing with his depression/bipolar?

Would you be really surprised? At any normal person I would but you never know with Vince, look at the skits making fun of JR's Bells Palsy or what Paige said about Reid Flair, nothing would surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Would you be really surprised? At any normal person I would but you never know with Vince, look at the skits making fun of JR's Bells Palsy or what Paige said about Reid Flair, nothing would surprise me

Yes I know what you mean. He is said to hate people sneezing so anyone with anything worse than that might not get much sympathy.Hopefully Vince might not be that bad but as you say no one would be surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I think they knew what they were getting when they hired Mauro. Although I did wonder how he'd survive that crazy environment.

Was it Rumble where Smackdown had one match on the card and it was considered the match of the night?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was it Rumble where Smackdown had one match on the card and it was considered the match of the night?

Yeah it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wonder if it'll get the attention WWE wants from it, in pop culture that could be the talking point coming out of Mania nevermind what else happens on the card

Al Roker is the special guest ring announcer for the match and he's a big TV host on a popular morning show in the US so I guess there's some cross promotion going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Adding Bryan into the Miz segment was a very good move, I was pretty close to absolutely unreservedly loving the guy so that gave me the tiny bit of levity. I hope the fans don't **** on Cena proposing. They've all done an absolutely masterful job with this build, it'd be a shame for it not to get it.

Miz is the best heel WWE have had for ages, and unlike Jericho there is something inherently unlikeable about him that leaves it always believable (even if the crowd are cheering him) that he's the heel in a given story. He's absolute magic for filling up television time, he's willing to do the utmost to put people over. He's still very much upper mid card rather than outright main event, but in the WWE landscape that just makes him more useful and he can bounce up and down between levels as needed.

It's nuts how happy I've became with this angle and it's so nice to see Miz get a redo of the Cena match after he was such an afterthought in WM27

Advertisement