Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It'd be an interesting question to ask both rosters, just how genuinely happy they are in the WWE?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The best thing is to never make any new stars, that's what's best for business.

I don't know if you are being ironic here, but there is actually logic in not making stars that get so big the promotion would take a serious dent if they leave. Remember Austin taking his ball and going home? I don't think they'll ever forget that, or let it happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rusev is everything they are trying to force Roman to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I actually forgot. Everyone

Happy Rusev Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I don't know if you are being ironic here, but there is actually logic in not making stars that get so big the promotion would take a serious dent if they leave. Remember Austin taking his ball and going home? I don't think they'll ever forget that, or let it happen again.

Have you ever heard of Roman Reigns? Vince would do anything to get him to be as big a star as Austin. So I don't think that makes any sense. You can only get over if they want you to get over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Neil3030 wrote:
    there is actually logic in not making stars that get so big the promotion would take a serious dent if they leave.

Lol. Is that the excuse WWE use now for not creating one since Cena
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And after pinning Rusev, they have Daniel state how over Breezango are with the fans

Have you ever heard of Roman Reigns? Vince would do anything to get him to be as big a star as Austin. So I don't think that makes any sense. You can only get over if they want you to get over.

Nope, I completely disagree with you. Reigns will never be as big as Austin, and WWE are well aware of that. They don't build their TV around him as they did Austin - think of the beer truck, the Zamboni, and all the other times McMahon made himself look like a complete clown to get Austin over as a megastar. All they do with Reigns is book him to win all the time. They keep him on script, and never let him show personality (if he even has any). Point is, if Reigns takes off, another star can be immediately slotted into his position. The wheels keep moving.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Lol. Is that the excuse WWE use now for not creating one since Cena
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

I'd imagine so, yeah. Although they obviously haven't communicated this to me personally! I reckon it's to do with them now being a publicly traded company - shareholders do not like risk and volatility in the stock price. The stock price lost a third of its value in June 2002 (when Austin left), and it took three and half years to recover. I don't think they ever want to put themselves in that position again, and even if they did, I doubt shareholders would let them.

Reigns will never be anything close to even Diesel I agree, but you can't say they haven't done everything possible to get him over and failed. Remember the Rock's surprise return to come out and endorse him after the Rumble? The Rock got booed for it because the fans saw right through it. John Cena crying on a talking Raw about how Roman was the greatest wrestler he's ever seen was pathetic. Then there was the weekly fake endorsements from Bryan, Batista etc. Everyone possible had to go out and lie about how special he was. Then there's the smoke and mirrors matches with every possible gimmick known to man put his matches, just to get him over.

HE RETIRED THE UNDERTAKER. Roman Reigns did.

Every show is about the BIG DOG. Wait till Mania season kicks in, you won't be able to move for the pointing at signs and the inevitable coronation.

Vince wants him to be the next Hogan obviously, but the fans don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Neil3030 wrote:
    I'd imagine so, yeah. Although they obviously haven't communicated this to me personally! I reckon it's to do with them now being a publicly traded company - shareholders do not like risk and volatility in the stock price. The stock price lost a third of its value in June 2002 (when Austin left), and it took three and half years to recover. I don't think they ever want to put themselves in that position again, and even if they did, I doubt shareholders would let them.

Austin going was always inevitable since he rushed back from the neck injury in 97 he was never going to hold out physically. Rock who left during that period wasn't but they haven't ever had anyone to make it mainstream like he has & stayed there.
    If they don't want their talent to leave & do movies why did they create a movie company and make movies featuring using every big name wrestler they have.
    They don't create big stars cause they can't; they have tried desperately to make Roman Reigns the face of the company for 3 or 4 years yet it still feels like it hasn't happened. Obviously they want acts that are popular & can sell merchandise like Cena has but they are nowhere near making another one so if you believe they do that intentionally you can.
    Look at a case study.
    Sami Zayn was the next Daniel Bryan, Bayley could be a big star for kids, Nakamura can be a big star, Robert Roode could get over big , look what Breezango did with nothing...all of them mishandled or ran into the ground by doing the same stuff over and over.
    Woken Matt is well on the way to being blamed for failing. Bray Wyatt went from cool to being embarrassing
    None of those were your next Steve Austin or Hulk Hogan but the company failed miserably on capitalising on their potential & lost money as a result. Still though that house show in India was worth 6 months of bad television & a Khali return.
    Fu*k all character development beyond theme music in some cases, scripted promos that sound like they were written by someone who never spoke to a human being, pointless stipulations that people know don't matter, McMahon's involved on screen on the product which hasnt worked since Donald Trump was cheered by an audience, killed their PPV business by valuing each at a tenner & producing too much television that is mainly forgettable.

• Advertisement

Reigns will never be anything close to even Diesel I agree, but you can't say they haven't done everything possible to get him over and failed. Remember the Rock's surprise return to come out and endorse him after the Rumble? The Rock got booed for it because the fans saw right through it. John Cena crying on a talking Raw about how Roman was the greatest wrestler he's ever seen was pathetic. Then there was the weekly fake endorsements from Bryan, Batista etc. Everyone possible had to go out and lie about how special he was. Then there's the smoke and mirrors matches with every possible gimmick known to man put his matches, just to get him over.

HE RETIRED THE UNDERTAKER. Roman Reigns did.

Every show is about the BIG DOG. Wait till Mania season kicks in, you won't be able to move for the pointing at signs and the inevitable coronation.

Vince wants him to be the next Hogan obviously, but the fans don't.

OK I've largely given up on watching WWE programming, but I have watched a good few RAWs over the past year or so, and I get nowhere near the same impression that the show is all about Reigns; nothing near how they built shows around Austin back in the day. Commentators were constantly talking about him, "would he be there??" (EVERY week, lol, you'd think they'd cop on eventually that he was ALWAYS there). They'd show him arrive, hell they even showed him arrive at the airport once, and then at the arena. Constant shots of him backstage, and every show built towards something involving him in the final segment. Reigns might get a scripted promo, a match (somewhere in the card) and maybe a shot or two backstage. He is then otherwise lost in the noise of the three hour show. That he is booked to win more than anyone is evidence that he is their pick of the bunch for now, but I stand by my point that they don't want him to be (and are fairly safe knowing he won't ever be) a megastar.

They picked a guy with the right look, and the right size, and ultimately promoted him above his overall ability. He will remain loyal to them, but more importantly, if he does leave, they just take the next guy out of his holding pattern, and continue on. The only stars on the show are the McMahons and the brand.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Austin going was always inevitable since he rushed back from the neck injury in 97 he was never going to hold out physically. Rock who left during that period wasn't but they haven't ever had anyone to make it mainstream like he has & stayed there.
    If they don't want their talent to leave & do movies why did they create a movie company and make movies featuring using every big name wrestler they have.

Well you sort of answer your own question here - if you don't want someone to leave and do something, you have them do it in house!

They don't create big stars cause they can't; they have tried desperately to make Roman Reigns the face of the company for 3 or 4 years yet it still feels like it hasn't happened. Obviously they want acts that are popular & can sell merchandise like Cena has but they are nowhere near making another one so if you believe they do that intentionally you can.
    Look at a case study.
    Sami Zayn was the next Daniel Bryan, Bayley could be a big star for kids, Nakamura can be a big star, Robert Roode could get over big , look what Breezango did with nothing...all of them mishandled or ran into the ground by doing the same stuff over and over.
    Woken Matt is well on the way to being blamed for failing. Bray Wyatt went from cool to being embarrassing
    None of those were your next Steve Austin or Hulk Hogan but the company failed miserably on capitalising on their potential & lost money as a result. Still though that house show in India was worth 6 months of bad television & a Khali return.
    Fu*k all character development beyond theme music in some cases, scripted promos that sound like they were written by someone who never spoke to a human being, pointless stipulations that people know don't matter, McMahon's involved on screen on the product which hasnt worked since Donald Trump was cheered by an audience, killed their PPV business by valuing each at a tenner & producing too much television that is mainly forgettable.

I could almost use each of your points to support my own - i.e., they want a certain number of people who are over, but they are deliberately preventing talent from getting too over. Maybe I haven't been clear - they want stars, but not to the same level of the past. You saw what happened when Austin and Rock left, and you see it in other contexts - for e.g., the position that the UFC are in with McGregor thinking he is too big for them.

I'll say it again, the only stars are the McMahons and the brand!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There is no standout character these days on a par with Hogan or Austin. I hear a lot of criticism these days towards Reigns but don't hear any compelling argument on who should be pushed in his place. The names that inevitably get thrown out are names that will appeal largely to the die-hards but not to the mainstream public. Guys like Styles, Balor, Zayn etc.

Generally there's a certain mould that characterises the stars of wrestling's past: heavyweight size, American, unique look, ability to work the WWE style well, ability to carry themselves as stars outside of the product - talk shows or Saturday Night Live, tend to be believable as badass athletes, can cut a good promo.

It doesn't surprise me that they have decided out of all the guys in the business that Reigns best fits the bill. He ticks most of the above boxes and has youth on his side which a lot of the alternative names thrown out do not have. The one area he lacks is promos but that need not be the disaster some make out because plenty of guys got good in later years after underwhelming in their earlier career, i.e. Batista, AJ Styles. Most guys tend to come alive when they get a heel turn under their belt - see The Usos as a recent example. Reigns has never been allowed have a singles heel run which even Cena and Hogan got to have before their lengthy face runs.

I think management see Reigns as a guy who can hit a Batista level of fame as the main man which is not a bad or unrealistic target to have in the current climate of wrestling. Batista went on to be a big star outside the product and there's no reason why Reigns couldn't achieve similar either. To put it another way, if you're looking for a guy with mainstream appeal throughout the roster, Reigns is the one who would immediately stand out. This idea that Vince and Hunter pushing him is a bad thing is ridiculous because it's the logical move. Plenty of ex-WWE guys like Austin, Flair, Nash, Hall, Jericho etc. have praised him but this is dismissed by the Reigns critics as them being ass kissers. They're really not, they are just telling it like it is.

The die-hards who follow the business intimately will almost ALWAYS turn on the guy that the company gets behind to be the next star. Austin is probably the only exception to this. Fans at various points turned on the main babyfaces like Hogan, Rock, Michaels, Bret, Cena, Goldberg, Nash, etc. Generally this was rectified with a heel turn but the Cena example has taught them that booing the babyface need not be the end of the world.

Strowman is an interesting one to keep an eye on because right now the die-hards are giving him a free pass even though he fits the bill of a WWE dream. He has the size, weight, actually a much poorer worker than Reigns, but because fans know Reigns is the chosen one, Strowman hasn't been turned on yet - also his babyface run is quite fresh. But I have absolutely no doubt that if they give him the title and the big push and he then goes over guys like Adam Cole, Finn Balor, Styles, etc. then the same complaints will go his way. Why does Vince favour Strowman, etc. It's so predictable. The goal is to make money.

If they pushed AJ like Roman, he'd be the second coming, but they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't see AJ appealing to the mainstream. I see him as similar to Michaels who never resonated beyond a certain level. AJ is also rumoured to be planning to retire at 42 and given he's 40 now it makes no sense to push him as the face of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so the final of the US title tournament is Jinder vs Bobby Roode and will take on Next week's SD live instead of the Rumble ppv

edit oh wait it's actually going to take place tonight thanks to Daniel Bryan

Yup. It's eh taking place alright. It's barely a match at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The freakin' state of Mojo Rawley. So glad they didn't put the US title on him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I wonder will that mean they’ll have a rematch at the Rumble or take it off the Rumble PPV to save on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Wonder why it got rushed? Seems like they had a skeleton roster. No Styles, Orton, Nakamura, Owens, Zayn or even Harper/Rowan

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

paulie21 wrote: »
    Wonder why it got rushed? Seems like they had a skeleton roster. No Styles, Orton, Nakamura, Owens, Zayn or even Harper/Rowan

Probably another reason why they rushed it. To use up time. Was their a Smackdown live event last night too? Is that why half the roster was missing.

• Advertisement

paulie21 wrote: »

well Nakamura had a match in that Facebook thing after SD

Styles was interviewed backstage

I wonder what the dark match was ???

I'd be pissed if I bought tickets to this show and some of them were missing

Two long Jinder matches, both terrible.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Terrible match Roode is so boring hope he loses the title soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I can see why he was initially pushed as a face since he was always going to get cheered

But now that he's just another guy but has an awesome theme song it's time to make him a heel

I'd love to see them give Rusev a chance as a heel and have him chasing Roode for the US title

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mojo might have the worst entrance ever.

preview for tonight's episode

http://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/2018-01-23

go home show for the rumble

Did anyone watch or could they bring themselves to look at WWE so soon after the turd show that was RAW 25?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Loughc wrote: »
    Did anyone watch or could they bring themselves to look at WWE so soon after the turd show that was RAW 25?

Had it on in the background this morning. Nice RKO on Nakamura to hype the Rumble match, but nothing else stood out. The build for the mens Rumble match this year has been diabolical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just finished it there, not awful but nothing really exciting either, but yeah that RKO was unreal tbf, Orton always had great timing.

I don’t really mind the poor build they gave towards the men’s Rumble this year, they promoted the hell out of it the last few years and it always failed to deliver, maybe they’re underselling it because they have something big planned.

Advertisement