Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most tragic character?

• 27-09-2016 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭

Erm let's see

Worf

Parents get massacred by Romulans
    Accidently killed a child when playing football
    His lover K'Ehleyr killed
    Having honour and a powerful House taken away/restored/taken away
    His brothers memory wiped
    Wife killed
    Strained relationship with son (though they seemed to worked it out a bit towards the end of DS9)
    Had to witness Keiko giving birth :eek:

Kira

Cardassian Occupation
    Dad killed, Mother abandons them and is Dukats lover
    Bareil dies
    All her old friends get killed in front of her one by one
    Ziyal being shot and killed
    Odo rejoins the Link
    Her Emissary and CO gone

Garak

Dad refused to acknowledge him until minutes before his death
    Exiled from Cardassia, forced to live with people who hate him
    Has to kill Cardassians, his home completely destroyed
    Ziyal

Damar

Takes over from his mentor Dukat and watched Cardassia being destroyed
    Family slaughtered by the Dominion
    Rising up against his own people
    Killed before victory

Tasha Yar

Rape Gangs
    Killed in a random encounter
    Alternate timeline captured and executed by Romulans

O'Brien? He has his 'O'Brien must suffer' episodes but at least he has Keiko and 2 children :P

Tuvik? Was born only to be executed. Ensign Ro, rough childhood then betrays Starfleet for the Maquis, then the Maquis get wiped out by the Dominion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Sim from Enterprise was pretty harsh - all the more so because he was a likable character.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Similitude_(episode)

O'Brien Specifically, his clone in DS9. Great paranoia episode.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Whispers_(episode)

Lieutenant Reginald Endicott "Reg" Barclay III Broccoli, nuff said.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Reginald_Barclay

will post a few more if i can think of them, too tired atm :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

Has to be Seven. Assimilated as a child and forced to commit countless atrocities for over a decade. Just look at how a few days affected Picard.

Then to top it all off, stuck on Voyager for four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

True but Picard has a huge sense of morality before being assimilated whereas Seven was assimilated as a child.

In her own words the Borg 'raised' her. Picards knowledge directly caused 1000s of deaths.

Another thing for Kira is the Cardassian who saved her. They reunited on DS9 then he dies, tough life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Ensign Sito Jaxa (the bajoran in Lower Decks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ensign Sito Jaxa (the bajoran in Lower Decks)

she was just a "red shirt" though

and yes I know it was actually yellow by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I always thought she would appear in DS9, just like Ro Laren or Tom Riker again, Kira said she would free Tom but nothing came of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sim from Enterprise was pretty harsh - all the more so because he was a likable character.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Similitude_(episode)

This for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I think it has to be Worf for the number one spot. Then the mentioned peeps above.

I'd also put Damar into that category. Blindly follows Dukat, sees his homelands invaded by Klingons, later 3rd rate citizens Of The Dominion, has he friends, fleet, family murdered, dies before seeing Cardassisa reborn.

I always seen Damar as a villain. He redeemed himself when he saw the folly of what he once believed was Cardassian supremacy, when the tables were turned he became an alcoholic and his ultimate redemption was leading a bajoran-like resistance against the dominion, he dies fulfilling a romantic goal, a goal which he'd always aspired to, For Cardassia!

tragic that he didnt see his goal through to the bloody and bitter end but he came pretty close, i think the real tragedy would have been the Cardassian people in general, but that's a race and not a single character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I always saw Gul Dukat as a tragic figure.

He just wanted to be loved by the bajorans, make Cardassia great, be bestest buds with Ben but he just found all that was beyond him.

Even after re uniting with his daughter he still lost.

But Tasha Yar, I always hated that character for some reason, but to be killed by an ink blob?? no one deserves that but then again after her holodeck good-bye maybe she did.

• Advertisement

that character had a lot of potential, but the actress (to me anyway) didnt exactly convey the tough security officer with a dodgy past, image. She looked the part but it was an empty uniform for me.

Aamin Marritza, who was in season 1 of Deep Space Nine.

He was a Cardassian file clerk during the occupation of Bajor, who witnessed many horrors committed at the hands of his fellow people. He had his whole appearance altered to that of the main perpetrator of the atrocities, especially that of Gallitep, as a punishment for his not doing anything.

The whole exchange between he and Kira, as his true identity is revealed, is among the most touching and poignant moments of the whole series and one I still think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Gul Dukat re united with his daughter who is then killed

Benjamin Sisko Had his wife killed and his ship destroyed by the Borg who were being controlled by Locutos aka Picard.

Belanna Torres She had a tough upbringing was bullied.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ziyal was pretty tragic. Born to a Bajoran mother and Cardassian father (and not just any Cardassian, the head of the occupation of her mothers people), shuttled away from her home only to end up working in a Breen slave labour camp, nearly killed by said father, rescued to DS9 where father again does some pretty bad things, only to find someone she really cares about just before getting killed by fathers XO.

Yeah, pretty ****ty life :(

Advertisement