Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland remodelling kitchen

Options
  • 27-09-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, currently in the process of moving to Charlesland and found that whilst we were cleaning and making it our own that the kitchen so filthy and needs some desperate remodelling. Just to be updated and I guess more cupboard space. My question to anyone is do we need it to be the original layout or can we change the design of the kitchen? And as well as put more cupboards in?
    I know we have to get permission before we go ahead, I was wondering if anybody as also redone their Charlesland kitchen?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

"Permission" ?? From the landlord ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Is this to do with getting permission from the Management Company?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Is this to do with getting permission from the Management Company?

None of their business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

2011 wrote: »
    None of their business

I fully agree but was there not something in the purchase contract which meant you needed to inform them of any changes even if it was the internals of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 YasKerr

I fully agree but was there not something in the purchase contract which meant you needed to inform them of any changes even if it was the internals of the house?

Thanks for replying. Yes I meant permission from the management.
    Or can we just go ahead and design a new kitchen once they sign off on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

surely you only need permission for anything that effects the external appearance (even then I would have thought they could only really stop you if it was something that requires planning permission). Internal changes - how would they even know?

I recall at one mgmt company meeting people complaining that one resident had built some huge Seomra type outhouse in their garden, but the mgmt committee said there wasn't much they could do about it beyond writing a stern letter, as they would have to take legal proceedings which they couldn't afford.

I have not seen the purchase contract so I am open to correction. However I would imagine that this only applies to something that would impact on the structural integrity of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

Hi Yaskerr,

Welcome to Greystones and Charlesland!!

No sign off needed from mgt company, what you do in our own kitchen is your own business. The original kitchens are now 10yrs + old and I think a lot of people are currently looking at what they can do.... Not sure if you are in apt or house but I have seen a few houses that have got rid of the divider in the room and moved to an L shape down the full length of wall where table would normally be and it looks great... Might even be pics on this forum if I remember correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

yesap wrote: »
    Hi Yaskerr,

Welcome to Greystones and Charlesland!!

No sign off needed from mgt company, what you do in our own kitchen is your own business. The original kitchens are now 10yrs + old and I think a lot of people are currently looking at what they can do.... Not sure if you are in apt or house but I have seen a few houses that have got rid of the divider in the room and moved to an L shape down the full length of wall where table would normally be and it looks great... Might even be pics on this forum if I remember correctly...

Not entirely true. We recently sold our house. 2 bed terrace in wood. Our sale was delayed as the buyers solicitors picked up in the management company contract that any work (including internal) needs written permission from managment company which we did not have for attic conversion and they said they were not willing to do this retrospectively. It seems to only matter if the buyers solicitor is fussy about it.

Jimjay wrote: »
    Not entirely true. We recently sold our house. 2 bed terrace in wood. Our sale was delayed as the buyers solicitors picked up in the management company contract that any work (including internal) needs written permission from managment company which we did not have for attic conversion and they said they were not willing to do this retrospectively. It seems to only matter if the buyers solicitor is fussy about it.

If done incorrectly an attic conversation could have a significant impact on the structural integrity of the house and possibly the adjoining houses. This is very different from moving a few kitchen presses around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

2011 wrote: »
    If done incorrectly an attic conversation could have a significant impact on the structural integrity of the house and possibly the adjoining houses. This is very different from moving a few kitchen presses around.

Yes but we had a cert from a structural engineer for that. That would be nothing to do with the management company. The enquiery from the solicitor was just about changes to the internal of the house without permission, not structural integrity

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

Attic conversions will checked and that is common sense, no solicitor will be checking kitchen press layout nor will the management company appreciate 100's of letters each year asking for permission to make internal cosmetic type changes.

Structural changes such as attics only.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Emma A

would love to see what people have done with their kitchens in two bed houses please any pics? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Emma A wrote: »
    would love to see what people have done with their kitchens in two bed houses please any pics? thanks

This thread might help

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057133126/1/#post88651236
    See audreyp's pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

yesap wrote: »
    Attic conversions will checked and that is common sense, no solicitor will be checking kitchen press layout nor will the management company appreciate 100's of letters each year asking for permission to make internal cosmetic type changes.

Structural changes such as attics only.

What exactly do the management company contracts say?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement