Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking deposit- New Build

Options
  • 27-09-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

We are looking at buying a new build, paperwork from estate agent says initial booking deposit is 5k- subject to contract.
    And then further 10% upon signing of unconditional contracts.
    Can i clarify --- If we were to put the 5k deposit on a new build, is this refundable (before we sign contracts) if we can't go through with the sale?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Generally yes.
    Get it in writing because getting it in writing never hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

That's what "subject to contract" means.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Grand, i thought so, just double checking I was reading it correctly! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Sorry to hijack a thread, but what form does a booking deposit normally take these days? Can you pay with your card or does it have to be a bank draft/cheque? I'm not even sure KBC do them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Sorry to hijack a thread, but what form does a booking deposit normally take these days? Can you pay with your card or does it have to be a bank draft/cheque? I'm not even sure KBC do them!

it depends on estate agents..
    few take in cheque, draft and online transfer
    few also have card machines
    usually you must confirm with the agents and be prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

We did a bank transfer for the booking deposit.
    Bank draft for the deposit balance

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Most say proof of finance is required within X days of paying booking deposit... what proof is usually required? There is a development im really interested in the next month or so but i don't want to formally apply for my mortgage until Jan 2017 as both our salaries will have risen? has anyone payed a booking deposit before Full approval or is that total lunacy?

@REFLINE1 you can always apply for the mortgage now, and get the amount adjusted when your salary increases come in. That's what I did anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Are generally no as the fees associated with the transaction means someone loses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Problem would be the approval amount wouldn't be high enough currently & our deposit would still be a little bit shy of whats needed :(

• Advertisement

Best thing to do would be to call the mortgage broker/bank and ask them what's possible. If you got proof from your employers that you'll be getting salary increases in January they may be able to grant you approval in principle for the higher amount pending the increases coming into effect... I'm no expert but it's worth a shot.

That doesn't solve the other part of your question as to when you've got to prove you have the funds in place though!

Advertisement