Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non union teacher...Croke park hours??

Options
  • 27-09-2016 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, I'm in an ASTI school but not a member of the union. Open evening is coming up.It's voluntary for ASTI members. Where do I stand? Is it voluntary for me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

sky1234 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in an ASTI school but not a member of the union. Open evening is coming up.It's voluntary for ASTI members. Where do I stand? Is it voluntary for me??

If you want a job, you'll make yourself available. Also more students means more jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sky1234

If you want a job, you'll make yourself available. Also more students means more jobs.

I have my cid. Ordinarily I'd be the first to volunteer but this date really doesn't suit me.

I have my cid. Ordinarily I'd be the first to volunteer but this date really doesn't suit me.

I'm just really looking to see where I stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

In a similar vein perhaps. I'm in my first year of teaching. Covering for maternity leave and as such I'm paid by the hour for classes taught. Fair enough. Recent reports that TUI members with receive 1-2k extra per year vrs ASTI members confuse me as a non-union member. Does anything happen my wages? Should I join a union? Or as a paid as you play sub am I simply on what I'm on?

Apologies, I assumed you were starting out. I think a quick word with the principal would cover you. Have you done it before?

• Advertisement

Apologies, I assumed you were starting out. I think a quick word with the principal would cover you. Have you done it before?

Yeah and I'm the first to volunteer. Hopefully it'll be ok, I just wanted to see where I stood officially first. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Yeah and I'm the first to volunteer. Hopefully it'll be ok, I just wanted to see where I stood officially first. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Well I think you would be OK then as your principal knows you have other arrangements. I think attendance at open evening is very important as I said it means jobs but sometimes life throws other things at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

darlett wrote:
    In a similar vein perhaps. I'm in my first year of teaching. Covering for maternity leave and as such I'm paid by the hour for classes taught. Fair enough. Recent reports that TUI members with receive 1-2k extra per year vrs ASTI members confuse me as a non-union member. Does anything happen my wages? Should I join a union? Or as a paid as you play sub am I simply on what I'm on?

Once you go over 150 casual hours, your hourly rate is worked out according to your point on the common basic scale. If you're TUI, the scale has increased from now (s/s money) and will increase again on January (first installment of restoration of allowances). If you're ASTI, these increases currently do not apply.

In any circumstance, I'd advise joining a union.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If the school intended to use it for CP hours then ASTI staff should not be doing it, if it is not CP hours then it is purely voluntary. Unless you think an open night will magically bring in 25extra students above your usual 1st year intake, I'd avoid it.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    If the school intended to use it for CP hours then ASTI staff should not be doing it, if it is not CP hours then it is purely voluntary. Unless you think an open night will magically bring in 25extra students above your usual 1st year intake, I'd avoid it.

Well it might bring in some. If the teachers in the school have no interest in selling their school - why would parents bother sending their child there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

People choose schools based on what they see and hear at open nights. It would be hard to see a gain of 25 students but +/- 5 is a difference of about 0.25 teachers which would make a big difference to a part time teacher in the school.

Im not sure if it will impact on next September though as most seem to choose in 5th class these days. Its the long game you need to watch really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

My school always used to open night as part of CP, we are a complete ASTI school, I think everyone will just volunteer this year as it is in our best interest to get as many students in as possible. Are we supposed to boycott the open night ????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

solerina wrote: »
    My school always used to open night as part of CP, we are a complete ASTI school, I think everyone will just volunteer this year as it is in our best interest to get as many students in as possible. Are we supposed to boycott the open night ????

Does your school not discuss cp hours at end of year when planning Calender for next yr e.g. Using a day for cp, pt meetings etc? If they allocated cp hrs for open night and then over summer decided to remove them then the directive says you cant do cp hours no matter what they are for. If they were not designated in the calander for 2016/2017 then it voluntary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

darlett wrote: »

Like others I would also very much advise that you join a union.You really should not be in the dark about vital issues which affect the future of the career you have chosen and you really should inform yourself as to why and how the two second level unions differ. A thorough read through both websites will inform you.

Does your school not discuss cp hours at end of year when planning Calender for next yr e.g. Using a day for cp, pt meetings etc? If they allocated cp hrs for open night and then over summer decided to remove them then the directive says you cant do cp hours no matter what they are for. If they were not designated in the calander for 2016/2017 then it voluntary

yes we do. open night is always down as CP hours....It was decided in May to use them as CP again this year. In August we again discussed it and assumed we could do it as a voluntary exercise...no one realised that we were directed by the union not to do it as it was always CP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

before CP it was voluntary. But now For an ASTI school CP is finished/gone/kaput etc... so it's back to being voluntary.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

This is what the ASTI directive says:

Attendance at enrolment open nights in schools is not prohibited by this directive and may be undertaken on a voluntary basis.

This is what the ASTI directive says:

Attendance at enrolment open nights in schools is not prohibited by this directive and may be undertaken on a voluntary basis.

Thanks, that's what I though, its good to see it clarified !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

acequion wrote: »
    Like others I would also very much advise that you join a union.You really should not be in the dark about vital issues which affect the future of the career you have chosen and you really should inform yourself as to why and how the two second level unions differ. A thorough read through both websites will inform you.

Have been taking your advice this evening and think I've made my decision on which to join, so hope to do so this week. You are right of course about not staying in the dark with vital issues. It's just one of a number of things that found itself down the back of a long queue of things to sort out during my NQT year. Life in the classroom has been only about half of this year's battle.

Pfffffh. And there goes some steam at least. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

You should really join the Union though OP. Imagine if there wasn't a Union in these times....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

Op, why would you not join a union? It seems very hypocritical that you'd be delighted with your CID. However if not for the work of the teacher's unions, you would have no CID atall and likely be employed on a casual bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

If your management really cared about Open Night to could give you a half day off in lieu. Open Night is important as getting students in secures jobs but you should ask for time off in lieu as it also benefits management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Terri26 wrote:
    If your management really cared about Open Night to could give you a half day off in lieu. Open Night is important as getting students in secures jobs but you should ask for time off in lieu as it also benefits management.

Do teachers get time off in lieu in some schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

I know of at least five! I think management has the discretion to give half days before midterm if they wish to regardless. Probably a bit of a grey area.

Advertisement