Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series wiring at panel?

Options
  • 27-09-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I've already had some great advice from reading through the many threads and from KoolKid on here, but I thought I'd post my question in it's own thread in case it helps others.

So my plan so far is 8 shock/contact sensors (6 windows and front and back door), plus a PIR or maybe two.

I'm looking at two different panels - the HKC SW1070 and the Siemens SPC4320. I like the monitoring options on the Siemens, but it's only got 8 zones versus the 10 zones on the HKC.

I've got wires from each opening back to where the panel will go, so what I'm wondering is if I want to fit the ten zones into eight on the Siemens panel, can I wire some of the zones together in series at the panel end rather then directly at the sensors? Each room only has one window opening, so ultimately I'd have to wire two rooms together on a zone. Is this achievable or will I realistically need a zone expander for the Siemens?

Thanks for any advice, and I'm sure once I get the job started properly I'll be back for more, so thanks in advance for that too!!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Series in a couple of windows together is the easiest option.From what you have listed there 8 zones is plenty. I'd happily sacrifice 2 zones for the features of the Siemens SPC4320 over the 1070.
    So lets say you have 2 zones wired on red & black at the panel. Join a red from one and black from the other together in a block connector. The red & black you have left wire into the zone input of the panel as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Thanks KoolKid, that's exactly what I was thinking but just wanted to confirm.

I have to say, so far it does seem to me that the HKC might be an easier wire/setup for first time, but the Siemens features win out. Maybe it's just because I know all the HKC stuff is labelled to work together, rather then putting different brands together to work with the Siemens.

Is it ok to use the HKC sensors and PIRs with the Siemens panel, or should I just go with the GS613 and another type of PIR?

Also, am I right in thinking that the Siemens has to use DEOL wiring to detect tampers on zones, i.e. the panel doesn't have separate tamper terminals for each zone like the HKC does?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Ok, so on a second look at the wiring, they aren't all wired back to the panel anyway, meaning my original question is kinda null and void! Some windows have one, and some have two, plus some have a loop which I guess just hasn't been cut, so should be easy enough to fit into 8 zones. The hard part is gonna be figuring out the order of the wires...will have to get the multimeter out I guess!

Advertisement