Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel bearing replacement - Corolla

• 27-09-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Failed the NCT this evening on the front offside wheel bearing being loose. Got home with absolutely no bit of a turn on it to tighten so obviously wheel bearing worn and will need to be replaced.

Chatting to cousin he mentions that most likely the fact that the wheel bearing is worn will mean that splines on the end of the drive shaft will also likely be worn as a result and if this is the case the drive shaft will also need to replaced. Then most likely a CV boot will need to be replaced also. Are the chances high that the drive shaft and CV boot will also need to be replaced high?

Also would anyone know what a ballpark price for these parts be? Cousin should be able to fit so labour cost will be between the two of us to sort out.

Car is a 2004 Corolla hatchback..

Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Evening all,

Failed the NCT this evening on the front offside wheel bearing being loose. Got home with absolutely no bit of a turn on it to tighten so obviously wheel bearing worn and will need to be replaced.

Chatting to cousin he mentions that most likely the fact that the wheel bearing is worn will mean that splines on the end of the drive shaft will also likely be worn as a result and if this is the case the drive shaft will also need to replaced. Then most likely a CV boot will need to be replaced also. Are the chances high that the drive shaft and CV boot will also need to be replaced high?

Also would anyone know what a ballpark price for these parts be? Cousin should be able to fit so labour cost will be between the two of us to sort out.

Car is a 2004 Corolla hatchback..

Thanks in advance for any input.
    The drive should run inside the splined hub.
    Its separate from the bearing but pressed in.
    I never had to replace a drive or CV when doing wheel bearings.
    Was the hub nut loose or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks for comments CJhaughey.

The hub nut wasn't loose when we tried to tighten it wouldn't budge. Failed the test on the wheel bearing being loose but we deduced when the hub nut wouldn't tighten that it was wear as opposed to being loose.

Cousin was saying that if the wheel bearing is worn chances are the drive shaft is worn and the hub as he says they would all be in contact with each other. He said you wouldn't know until you rip them apart and at that you wouldn't tell with the naked eye. Don't know if that sits right with me. He mentioned my best bet would be to pick up a drive shaft and hub including wheel bearing from a breakers and he'll fit them as opposed to a wheel bearing from a motor factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jimbis

I had a big reply typed out but somehow I lost it so I'll keep this short lol

The bearing is knackered. Can't see why that would effect the the driveshaft/cv. I'm thinking ur cousins method to replace it with one from a scrappies is to avoid having to press a new bearing in. Waste of time buying second hand to be honest.

Buy a new bearing, they're not expensive. Whip the hub off and ask a local mechanic to press the new bearing in, should do it for 20 quid or so. Then put it all back together and your sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Your cousin is talking about something he obviously knows nothing about.
    Wheel bearings are sealed units, they cannot be "tightened up"
    The drive has splines which are a sliding fit into the splined hub. with the hub nut on the end to prevent the CV joint from sliding out of the hub.
    The hub is pressed into the wheel bearing it takes a lot of force to press it into the bearing.
    Once the bearing is "loose" it means the inside races and balls are worn out.
    The whole bearing has to be driven out of the knuckle and a new one pressed into the knuckle, if your drive is not making noises turning its likely fine.
    I'd get a decent garage to do the work, its not that expensive I replaced 2 faulty FAG bearings before buying a genuine Toyota one which gave no trouble.
    Both FAG versions started noising after a month or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

The hub can be damaged from the worn bearing.

You could fit a new bearing and it could be worn again in no time.

A second hand stub is probably the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Hi all, To give an update which I meant to earlier.... Myself and cousin changed the complete hub with a replacement he got from breakers yard. Cost €35 and he charged me €30 to fit. Had to do full retest again as hadn't it finished in time for retest.

Passed retest apart from a pass advisory for a rear number plate light bulb blown and a tyre thread depth approaching the legal limit... both which I will sort in the next few days.

I know it was mentioned here that it was a waste of time fitting a second hand hub and while I realize there may only be so much left in it, that's a chance I'm willing to take on a 2004 car and the likelihood is there may be many years motoring left in it... Possibly until long after a uneconomically viable repair/ motor insurance has killed the car.

Advertisement