Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Aldo requests his release from the UFC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭nomadchocolate

@Mr.Manager,

The quote button doesn't work for me.

I don't think you understand how the UFC works.

Of course Aldo should have campaigned for the rematch. Campaigning drums up public interest which in turn stimulates PPV buys. Aldo should have come straight out and say that Conor was a fluke etc.

The UFC ranking and divisions is all a fugazi, a mirage. It doesn't mean anything. All they care about is selling PPV's, they are a private company after all, and Aldo has done nothing. He hasn't marketed himself. He hasn't done a tap.

Conor has it figured out and is doing extremely well for himself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

@Mr.Manager,

The quote button doesn't work for me.

I don't think you understand how the UFC works.

Of course Aldo should have campaigned for the rematch. Campaigning drums up public interest which in turn stimulates PPV buys. Aldo should have come straight out and say that Conor was a fluke etc.

The UFC ranking and divisions is all a fugazi, a mirage. It doesn't mean anything. All they care about is selling PPV's, they are a private company after all, and Aldo has done nothing. He hasn't marketed himself. He hasn't done a tap.

Conor has it figured out and is doing extremely well for himself.

I plenty understand how it works, thanks. All of the above is what I hate about what the UFC is becoming.

In the past you had it arranged by the matchmakers - Fighter A vs. Fighter B - booked. Then they build the hype.

Not the other way around.

All this bullsh*t of people calling out "money" fights is ruining the legitimacy of belts/divisions. ****.

Why f*cking have belts when they mean jack sh*t. Just start matching up people with who the crowd wants to see. Open a poll on UFC.com and let people vote. Done.

If my boss tells me I'm getting a promotion based on the merit of my work up until that date I'm going to believe him and continue to do my job.
    If my boss tells me I'm getting a promotion based on the merit of my work up until that date and doesn't give me the promotion because I didn't work even harder than I already was (after telling me already), I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The problem with the UFC right now is that they are both the promoter and the sanctioning body and as a result are turning into the ****ing WWE.

Time to extend the Muhammad Ali act to MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭nomadchocolate

I think UFC are capitalizing on the large influx of casual fans. Short term gain long term detriment. They are delegitimizing their own divisions and their own belts. That's their choice to make. It is enjoyable, all these superfights, but it will be good to see it go back to normal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Aldo did campaign for 25 minutes at ufc 200. He was to receive his title shot after he beat Edgar impressively & Conor rematched Nate. UFC caved they did what Conor wanted so did the Alvarez fight. Conor has had 3 fights since the title win so it makes the division look bad if they are pissing in the wind waiting for the champion to defend it (maybe). Only Aldo is there as a contender, Pettis beat Olivera after a losing skid.
    They are holding up the women's division now for Ronda too with the hope she is bothered to come back. Doing that makes the belts look bad. Long term that won't help if all they seek is money fights as titles last longer than the people holding them.

I plenty understand how it works, thanks. All of the above is what I hate about what the UFC is becoming.

In the past you had it arranged by the matchmakers - Fighter A vs. Fighter B - booked. Then they build the hype.

All this bullsh*t of people calling out "money" fights is ruining the legitimacy of belts/divisions. ****.

Why f*cking have belts when they mean jack sh*t. Just start matching up people with who the crowd wants to see. Open a poll on UFC.com and let people vote. Done.

Harsh, don't agree with you here to be honest. Why are these **** for looking for big money fights? The name of the game is Prize Fighting, as Conor would say get in, get rich, get out. Nothing wrong with that logic in my eyes.

Anyway who's actually getting these big money fights? Nobody but McGregor and who ever he faces. Everyone else (bar Hendo vs Bisping) are fighting the top contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

The problem I see with the current situation is that these super fights, while hugely entertaining, are an extremely finite resource.

A fighters journey to the top of a division and finally winning the belt is something every real fight fan can get invested in. Wonderboy v Woodley has me seriously invested for this reason. The reason Conor's rise was so captivating was because Jose Aldo was always this dominating champion, looming over everything.

There has to be an underlying narrative to all this, a "bigger picture" reason these guys fight. For so long it has been to be the best, to be the champion. For this to matter, the belts need to be coveted, and they need to be important. If the FW champion can't be arsed with the belt, what dos it say about the guys in that division striving for the belt.

Before all the armchair business executives start trying to imply I'm unaware of the existence of money etc etc I totally understand that Conor will get to call the shots and I understand why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Dana White and the UFC stood by Jose Aldo through thick and thin. This man had numerous fight pull-outs, sometimes in dubious circumstances. He held up the division for a long time through injury. He was never stripped of his title (like Cru was). No interim belts were put in place.

He almost scuppered a huge card last year. Conor stepped up to take Mendes. The production for that event (Sinead O' Connor etc) was very expensive.

Ok, he comes back and fights Conor and loses. Then he doesn't shut up in the media saying Conor got lucky and he will fight him "anywhere, anytime, any place".

As soon as RDA pulls out, the "anywhere, anytime, any place" gets tested. He was offered the fight and turned it down.

Even the most ardent Jose Aldo fans need to admit he's an unreliable character to pin a huge event on. With his track record of pull-outs coupled with times he's campaigned for a fight and turned it down.... Does the UFC really "owe it to him" to put him on their biggest card ever? Can they really rely on him?

More to the point, from a business standpoint does the UFC need him? Without Conor he isn't a PPV draw or a Gate draw outside of Brazil. His PPV's average in the 300,000 region.

He's in an unfortunate position from a sporting standpoint, no doubt, but his retirement logic makes zero sense. He has publicly said in the media that he would fight Conor regardless of belts at any weight class. As soon as he doesn't get the Conor fight, it then becomes about the belt.

He's a walking contradiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Anyway who's actually getting these big money fights? Nobody but McGregor and who ever he faces. Everyone else (bar Hendo vs Bisping) are fighting the top contenders.

This is the thing.

Literally no other division or belt is being "devalued".

It's just Conor who gets preferential treatment and it's fully deserved at this stage. Not only is he the biggest draw the company has ever seen but he puts on exciting fights and will literally fight anyone, even on short notice.

I do think if he beats Alvarez he will stick with the 155 division and Aldo will get the real 145 belt.

Personally it annoys me more the UFC didn't bend over backwards to keep a guy like Rory McDonald on the roster.

• Advertisement

I think UFC are capitalizing on the large influx of casual fans. Short term gain long term detriment. They are delegitimizing their own divisions and their own belts. That's their choice to make. It is enjoyable, all these superfights, but it will be good to see it go back to normal too.

What superfights?? What superfight have we had so far out of this malarky?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If my boss tells me I'm getting a promotion based on the merit of my work up until that date I'm going to believe him and continue to do my job.
    If my boss tells me I'm getting a promotion based on the merit of my work up until that date and doesn't give me the promotion because I didn't work even harder than I already was (after telling me already), I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

Aldo could have had superfights back when he was champion, he spoke about it, but he feared what a loss in one would do to his legacy. I cant think of one time when the UFC turned down a champion vs champion superfight, when the champion has beaten most of the division already. This is not a new thing, they have even given fighters coming off losses title shots when they change divisions.

No matter how much people don’t want to accept it, McGregor has pretty much cleared out the 145 division. The only fights left for him are rematches or a guy who just dropped down in weight after a 3 fight losing streak. This is not a situation where Woodley got an (debatably) undeserved title shot, has fought practically no one in the top 10 and goes looking for a 'money fight'.

People just don't see things clearly when it comes to Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Dana should announce that the FW belt will be fought for in Feb or Mar 2017. It will be Aldo v Conor and if Aldo doesn't come back then Holloway replaces him and if Conor won't agree to the fight then Holloway replaces him.

What superfights?? What superfight have we had so far out of this malarky?

Conor v Eddie is one.

I fully expect Cruz v DJ within the next 18 months, purely on the basis Cruz and DJ both want bigger money and there's not a lot left for Mighty Mouse at flyweight.

I could see a few others potentially. DC has said he's willing to fight Stipe. Depending what happens with Jon Jones, that might actually come to fruition because LHW is really shallow. Gustafsson and Bader would be decent fights for him but outside of that not a lot.

If GSP ever comes back, there's a fair chance it's to take on Bisping or Conor.

Conor is setting a trend in his willingness to take risks and the other champions now have a precedent they can argue with the UFC. Put it this way - if DJ v Cruz does happen, there's no way they strip the Flyweight belt.

Letree wrote: »
    Dana should announce that the FW belt will be fought for in Feb or Mar 2017. It will be Aldo v Conor and if Aldo doesn't come back then Holloway replaces him and if Conor won't agree to the fight then Holloway replaces him.

He could announce an Alien invasion from Mars is imminent or that the Pope is a Catholic and nobody will believe a word he says either way.

GSP vs Nick Diaz at 170 is nailed on for the Janurary PPV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

He could announce an Alien invasion from Mars is imminent or that the Pope is a Catholic and nobody will believe a word he says either way.

Maybe his time is up then

Conor v Eddie is one.

I fully expect Cruz v DJ within the next 18 months, purely on the basis Cruz and DJ both want bigger money and there's not a lot left for Mighty Mouse at flyweight.

I could see a few others potentially. DC has said he's willing to fight Stipe. Depending what happens with Jon Jones, that might actually come to fruition because LHW is really shallow. Gustafsson and Bader would be decent fights for him but outside of that not a lot.

Conor is setting a trend in his willingness to take risks and the other champions now have a precedent they can argue with the UFC. Put it this way - if DJ v Cruz does happen, there's no way they strip the Flyweight belt.

So in short, the answer was precisely 0 superfights so far. Great

So in short, the answer was precisely 0 superfights so far. Great

Were you not complaining about people asking for these fights anyway? Or did I misread something?

Were you not complaining about people asking for these fights anyway? Or did I misread something?

Open to correction if someone wants to trawl through my post history but as far as my memory serves me I've been against these makey-upy fights.

I've no issue with someone moving up/down a weight class for a shot at the belt . My point was there has been zero of this going on as one poster mentioned.

McGregor/Diaz is an anti-superfight. Total joke shop.

Open to correction if someone wants to trawl through my post history but as far as my memory serves me I've been against these makey-upy fights.

I've no issue with someone moving up/down a weight class for a shot at the belt . My point was there has been zero of this going on as one poster mentioned.

McGregor/Diaz was 34 minutes in total of great fighting - whatever the sporting merit for it (none!).

Contrast that to the Woodley-Lawler fight. They literally didn't throw one punch for 1 minute of Round 1.

Conor says a lot of stuff but one thing he does say that's 100% true is he never engages in a "feeling out" process in fights. He goes straight to work throwing shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Aldo could have had superfights back when he was champion, he spoke about it, but he feared what a loss in one would do to his legacy. I cant think of one time when the UFC turned down a champion vs champion superfight, when the champion has beaten most of the division already. This is not a new thing, they have even given fighters coming off losses title shots when they change divisions.

Actually, Aldo has said that when he wanted to move up and fight he was told he would have to drop the belt before doing so.
    No matter how much people don’t want to accept it, McGregor has pretty much cleared out the 145 division. The only fights left for him are rematches or a guy who just dropped down in weight after a 3 fight losing streak. This is not a situation where Woodley got an (debatably) undeserved title shot, has fought practically no one in the top 10 and goes looking for a 'money fight'.

Again, this is an attempt to excuse a situation where a division champion is going to have his third fight outside of a division, while refusing to fight the number 1 contender in his division.
    People just don't see things clearly when it comes to Conor.

We agree on that for sure.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Actually, Aldo has said that when he wanted to move up and fight he was told he would have to drop the belt before doing so.

Again, this is an attempt to excuse a situation where a division champion is going to have his third fight outside of a division, while refusing to fight the number 1 contender in his division.

We agree on that for sure.

What does it do for a division to have a champion who was sparked out in 13 seconds?

If McGregor was stripped, the Featherweight division dies almost immediately - in terms of draws, PPV's, revenue etc.

In terms of sport, well you've got Max Holloway, Yair Rodriguez, Anthony Pettis to give Aldo a crack.......

But realistically none of those fights could headline outside of Brazil.

The problem isn't Conor holding up the division. The problem is nobody at 145lbs thinks he's coming back again.

If, for example, Conor was forced to sign a Bout Agreement for a February 2017 fight with Aldo...... everyone would be hunky dory. Aldo wouldn't mind waiting. Holloway and Pettis would be licking their chops hoping to get the winner. It would show Conor does in fact intend on competing at 145. Etc.

If he comes out of the Alvarez fight injury free, win or lose, he should be given 2 weeks to sign a bout agreement for Aldo. If he doesn't sign they take the 145lb strap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

In terms of sport, well you've got Max Holloway, Yair Rodriguez, Anthony Pettis to give Aldo a crack.......

But realistically none of those fights could headline outside of Brazil.

Hawaii against Max?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The problem with the UFC right now is that they are both the promoter and the sanctioning body and as a result are turning into the ****ing WWE.

This is the crux of the matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Conor v Eddie is one.

Conor is crazy not stupid. He would t touch gap with yours

Hawaii against Max?

Possible yep. But Max against a broomstick could headline Hawaii. In terms of Gate.....

In PPV terms Max v Jose is still only a 300,000 gig.

Conor staying in both divisions benefits every single fighter in those divisions, even if it holds it up a little bit..... It's just nobody trusts he's coming back that's why they are getting vocal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Separating the promoter and sanctioning body makes sense, on paper but I feel it would eventually lead to a complete mess like you have in boxing.

Say they make a WMMAC sanctioning body. Who handles the titles, contenders etc. Even forces co-promotion and such.
    What's to stop Rizin, Bellator or even the UFC setting up with the WMMAO, then a few years later we have IWMMAO.

I don't think modelling any system on boxing s a good place to start. They has to be a better solution

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Jose & whoever are his advisors are going about this all wrong, they need to be smarter.

He should be hassling the UFC for a fight at 206, against Max or whoever. Hope McGregor wins at 205, destroy whoever he's fighting at 206 & immediately call out McGregor at lightweight. Then back to hassling the UFC for another fight at 145 or 155, whoever is top 5 & available. Every fight he takes he should be aiming for total annihilation of his opponent, no decisions or point-fighting. Cement his place undeniably as the 145 interim champ & chomping on McGregors heels for the 155 belt at every opportunity. Eventually he'll get his rematch at 145 or get a title shot at 155. If he took 155 off McGregor while 145 interim champ I think he'd have Conor's ear again.

Being honest, the way he fights recently & the way he dropped out of fights, did little promotion & generally not being a company man as champion, not to mention the messing with the drug testing that time, how did he think he would be treated if he lost his belt? He only has himself to blame. Make me want to go see you fight Jose and you'll get things the way you want again.

McGregor v Diaz was a last minute replacement though. McGrgeor was supposed to fight Dos Anjos for the belt in a 'super fight'.
    McGregor lost to Diaz and because of his stature he demanded and got a rematch which he won.
    Now he is going on to fight Alvarez for the LW belt in a 'super fight' so I just don't get what your up in arms about to be honest.

So was Conor but he pushed the issue. Jose is probably the biggest moaner to the media in all of MMA and you heard barely a peep about pushing for a superfight and him keeping his title. Saying he'd lose his title is just an excuse, the man loved being a big fish in a small pond and never wanted to take the risk.

Sometimes excuses are perfectly legitimate, like in this instance.

• Advertisement

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Jose & whoever are his advisors are going about this all wrong, they need to be smarter.

He should be hassling the UFC for a fight at 206, against Max or whoever. Hope McGregor wins at 205, destroy whoever he's fighting at 206 & immediately call out McGregor at lightweight. Then back to hassling the UFC for another fight at 145 or 155, whoever is top 5 & available. Every fight he takes he should be aiming for total annihilation of his opponent, no decisions or point-fighting. Cement his place undeniably as the 145 interim champ & chomping on McGregors heels for the 155 belt at every opportunity. Eventually he'll get his rematch at 145 or get a title shot at 155. If he took 155 off McGregor while 145 interim champ I think he'd have Conor's ear again.

Being honest, the way he fights recently & the way he dropped out of fights, did little promotion & generally not being a company man as champion, not to mention the messing with the drug testing that time, how did he think he would be treated if he lost his belt? He only has himself to blame. Make me want to go see you fight Jose and you'll get things the way you want again.

Great post!

Jose has an amateur mindset in a professional world.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    So was Conor but he pushed the issue. Jose is probably the biggest moaner to the media in all of MMA and you heard barely a peep about pushing for a superfight and him keeping his title. Saying he'd lose his title is just an excuse, the man loved being a big fish in a small pond and never wanted to take the risk.

Your analysis of Jose Aldo is just ridiculous. Hardly worth a rebuttal at this point, suffice to say, you are blinded by your hate for him and it comes through in your posts too clearly. Not a hope of objectivity.

Sometimes excuses are perfectly legitimate, like in this instance.

Shock horror you find your own attempt to excuse something to be legitimate.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Your analysis of Jose Aldo is just ridiculous. Hardly worth a rebuttal at this point, suffice to say, you are blinded by your hate for him and it comes through in your posts too clearly. Not a hope of objectivity.

And you’re blinded by the fighter that we saw back in the WEC.

That or you have the same mentality as him and see it as being normal, moan and complain about what you don’t like rather than getting up and doing something to improve your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's just posturing. He put all his eggs in the Conor basket. They probably would have stripped Conor if Aldo agreed to fight Pettis or Holloway at 205 but he went all in and then doubled down.

The needing extra time to prepare for Holloway and Pettis is the worst excuse. He'll fight in the UFC again, I guarantee it.

That's assuming that Dana would have kept his word and stripped Conor. Notice how Dana is already backing down on making Conor give up one of the belts if he wins at 205.

Jose doesn't owe Dana anything. He's not obligated to do Conor's job [defending the title] for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

How much money can get made by a fight is not supposed to be the most important reason a fight gets made

This is factually incorrect. Combat sports are not like team sports. They are booked to make money. They have to be because unlike team sports which are self sustaining because the teams are forever, the stars in boxing or MMA are transitory so you have to lay things out in a way that maximizes earning potential or you can end up out of business like IFL, EliteXC, Affliction, Strikeforce, Pride etc. That's why the UFC is the King, they make the fights that the most people want to see.

Also, with the leveraged buyout by WME-IMG, UFC has to make $88 million in profit just to cover their interest. If they 'make' $70 million profit next year, they lose 18 mill. This year and last year they easily beat that number. But in 2014, they'd have lost their ass. It is just plain naive to think that booking to make money is a mistake.

I have sympathy for Aldo in the sense he feels he's been messed about lately, but not over the whole. There are the consistent PED rumours and the story about the tester who showed up at his camp and was threatened and forced to leave. The fact he consistently pulled out of fights, averaging one every 8 months in his time as champion. The fact he got knocked out in 13 seconds by the champion, swore blind he would jump at the chance to rematch Conor under any circumstances then turned down the fight before UFC 196. The fact he's an absolute primadonna with his outbursts about still using IVs when they're banned. I could go on. Do I understand why he'd be frustrated? I do. Is he a particularly sympathetic figure on the whole. Fu<k no, he's an asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

TherapyBoy wrote: »

me wrote:
    How much money can get made by a fight is not supposed to be the most important reason a fight gets made
    Monokne wrote: »
    This is factually incorrect.

It really isn't. Money is obviously a factor in fights and it is becoming a bigger one every year, but it is not supposed to be the most important reason a fight gets made.

That is factually correct.

It really isn't. Money is obviously a factor in fights and it is becoming a bigger one every year, but it is not supposed to be the most important reason a fight gets made.

That is factually correct.

Based on what?

Why was the first superfight, Ken - Royce made?
    Why was Tito - Ken made?
    Why were Tito - Ken 2 & 3 made?
    Why was Gracie - Hughes made?
    Why was Sonnen - Jones made?
    Why was Diaz - GSP made?
    Why was Tate - Rousey 2 made?
    Why was Conor - Nate 2 made?
    Why was Hendo - Bisping made?

Because they were the biggest money fight that could be made at the time.

I totally understand the desire to look at MMA as a meriotcracy, a sport like football or golf. But it isn't, it never has been, it never will be. The promoters first concern is to make money. That's his responsibility. Of course they need to maintain credibility and build contenders through win streaks. But make no mistake, star v star is what built MMA and will maintain it. It would be great if #1 v #2 was the draw, but it rarely is.

Fair enough dude, I have no interest in getting in to a drawn out one on this. :) That whole agree to disagree thing works now and then I guess.

• Advertisement

Fair enough dude, I have no interest in getting in to a drawn out one on this. :) That whole agree to disagree thing works now and then I guess.

Absolutely dude.

I don't take any issue with the concept of MMA as a pure sport and the ideals of fair matchmaking. I like when the best guy fights the second best guy. Some of the great MMA fights of all time have been that way, Lawler - McDonald from last year was the perfect example of it. But by the same token, the UFC have always and will always promote to make money first and foremost and that's why they're the only real game in town.

I will say though, that with WME-IMG in charge I would anticipate that may become even more pronounced.. CM Punk might even get a second UFC fight!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 InstantMMA

Jose seems to have gone back on his decision, he was quoted as saying hes spoken to friends and family and thinks he is ready to come back and to expect something big

InstantMMA wrote: »
    Jose seems to have gone back on his decision, he was quoted as saying hes spoken to friends and family "Dana White" and thinks he is ready to come back "was offered boat load of money on an improved contract" and to expect something big "the same moaning as before that Conor is ducking him"

FYP

Haha! Fair enough

InstantMMA wrote: »
    Jose seems to have gone back on his decision, he was quoted as saying hes spoken to friends and family and thinks he is ready to come back and to expect something big

They probably convinced him to hang on until after Conor and Eddie fight. If Conor wins and vacates the 145 belt they'll most likely declare him the undisputed champion at 145 or if Conor loses he'll finally defend his 145 title against Jose in a unification match.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    They probably convinced him to hang on until after Conor and Eddie fight. If Conor wins and vacates the 145 belt they'll most likely declare him the undisputed champion at 145 or if Conor loses he'll finally defend his 145 title against Jose in a unification match.

Yeah I'd imagine that's the case, despite all his whining and moaning, I'm happy they seem to have come to a conclusion for Jose. It's never nice to see a champion of that long not getting a title shot. As for Max Holloway, what more does the guy have to do to get a shot even at an interim belt?

• Advertisement

Jose: "I want a release"
    Dana: "Stop fu<king whining, wait a couple weeks until Conor fights and see what happens. You're under contract and you're not going anywhere anyway"
    Jose: "I'm think I'll wait a couple weeks until Conor fights, then see what happens. Thanks Dana"

When you have no leverage, these conversations tend to be fairly one sided. I am sure Dana was marginally more polite but that's probably the jist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

JohnMc1 wrote: »

so he gets handed the belt for the second time in his career...noice

I'm not a Jose fan but come on, be fair. He was Zuffa's featherweight champion and when the UFC absorbed WEC they brought over all the talent and it's champion. Essentially his title was renamed, much like Cruz's and Ronda's after them. You can't pretend he wasn't legitimately the deserving UFC featherweight champion.

twinytwo wrote: »

He's already the Interim Champ. He would just be made full Champ if they decide to do it this way.

twinytwo wrote: »

He was never handed any belt. He was the champion of the division they canalized and changed the belt he had.

• Advertisement
Advertisement